MediaTomb 0.12.1 - 1.0

Here is the place to inquire about app.bins--Only currently available apps for sigma 8655 based wdtv's belong in this forum. requests go in 'Application Questions'

MediaTomb 0.12.1 - 1.0   

Postby RMerlin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:24 pm

For those that need something more advanced than MiniDLNA, but don't want to pay for a Twonky licence, here's an alternative: MediaTomb.

Download the app.bin here: http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv, or from the Addons manager (if running WDLXTV 0.4.8.0-Beta or newer). Unpack it on a USB disk (if manually downloaded), then reboot your WDTV.

IMPORTANT: You also need to download the ffmpeg.app.bin, available here.

About
This is a WDLXTV port of Mediatomb (http://mediatomb.cc), an advanced, open-sourced DLNA server with scripting and metadata scraping capabilities.

This build has almost every supported features enabled, including last.fm integration, thumbnail generation (through ffmpegthumbnailer), etc...

MediaTomb is highly configurable for anyone with good knowledge of JavaScript to customize the way the medias are presented to player devices.

Usage
Go to WEC, then enable Mediatomb.
Come back to webend, click on the mediatomb entry on the side menu, then select "start".
Click on the new Mediatomb icon on the webend to navigate through your files, and select folders you wish to scan and index in
Mediatomb.

Available options
I have compiled nearly every supported feature (except for transcoding, as your 500 MHz WDTV can't do that, and Youtube support, which is broken). Details:

Code: Select all
        host:                   mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu
        sqlite3:                yes
        mysql:                  disabled
        libjs:                  yes
        libmagic:               yes
        inotify:                yes
        libexif:                yes
        id3lib:                 disabled
        taglib:                 yes
        ffmpeg                  yes
        libmp4v2:               yes
        external transcoding:   disabled
        curl:                   no
        YouTube:                disabled
        SopCast:                disabled
        Weborama:               yes
        Apple Trailers          yes
        libextractor            disabled
        db-autocreate:          yes
        debug log:              yes
        protocol info extension:yes
        ffmpegthumbnailer:      yes
        lastfmlib:              yes
        data directory:         /usr/share/mediatomb

You can customize various options by editing the config.xml file in your Mediatomb home directory (or mediatomb_config.xml in
your /conf directory if you haven't pointed MediaTomb's home directory to a location different than the default /tmp/mediatomb).
For example you can enable last.fm integration, and provide your last.fm login credentials.

Known issues
  • MediaTomb eats a fair amount of memory. In fact, I'm not sure yet if the WDTV can handle it properly - hence this beta release.
  • Duplicate entries in Windows Media Player: known issue with MediaTomb.
  • Weborama, Apple Trailers and Youtube streaming are all broken: this is
    a known issue in Mediatomb.
  • XML configuration can be noob-scary: I will eventually implement more options in WEC, provided there is enough interest in MediaTomb to justify the extra work.

Changelog
1.0:
- Public release.

0.7:
- Modified config dir from .mediatomb to mediatomb.
- Will check and report if ffmpeg.app.bin is missing.

0.6:
- Added MEDIATOMB_DEBUG to WEC.
- Now relies on the ffmpeg app.bin for the ffmpeg libraries
- Improved init script
- Disabled Youtube support, which didn't work even with a third party patch applied.
- Switched libtag with id3lib - while it lacks flac support, it's supposed to be more reliable.
- Implemented video thumbnail caching (through a third party patch). Set the location of your cache directory in the <cache-dir> block of the ffmpegthumbnailer section.

0.5:
- First beta release.
Last edited by RMerlin on Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
If you like my work, please consider donating.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Re: MediaTomb 0.12.0 - 0.5 ***BETA***   

Postby RMerlin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:13 pm

Version 0.6 is out. See the download link in the original post.

IMPORTANT: the ffmpeg libraries have been removed from this package. You need to also install the separate ffmpeg.app.bin for Mediatomb to work.

0.4.8.0 beta testers can also retrieve both through the Addons Manager.
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Re: MediaTomb 0.12.1 - 0.6 ***BETA***   

Postby nicandmih » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:11 am

Hi ,
I coppy in the root mediatomb.app.bin and ffmpeg.app.bin . I activated everythinc but after reboot, appear a login page where ask me username and password, i read abauted but not found mediatomb password.
nicandmih
Donor

Postby RMerlin » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:33 am

User authentication is disabled by default (it's configurable at the start of the config.xml file). However what you describe occasionally happens when Mediatomb fails to bind properly to its port. Try stopping it, setting the port to a different one in WEC, then re-start it.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby nicandmih » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:14 am

Thank you, it`s ok after reboot , I have some problems with ''WEC'' because i make same tested with Kartina, and thedevice (wdlxtv) it `s not working properly. If I understand corectly Media tomb it`s a server for wdlxtv or it`s a server for another device? I have to see meditomb in OSD or in (ex: mediapayer) on MY PC? thank you!!
nicandmih
Donor

Postby RMerlin » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:30 am

nicandmih wrote:Thank you, it`s ok after reboot , I have some problems with ''WEC'' because i make same tested with Kartina, and thedevice (wdlxtv) it `s not working properly. If I understand corectly Media tomb it`s a server for wdlxtv or it`s a server for another device? I have to see meditomb in OSD or in (ex: mediapayer) on MY PC? thank you!!

It's a server that will let you take media files from your WDTV (usually a plugged USB disk, but can also be a netmount), and stream them to other devices (such as Windows Media Player on a PC, or Plugplayer on an iPhone/Android phone).

This is similar in functionality to what Twonky does on the Live Hub.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby bond007 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:54 am

i tried installing it on WDLXTV_Live 0.4.7.3 (FW base 1.02.21)
Enabled it in WDLXTVConfig, it is also available with a red dot on the Plugin Deamons left side menu.
But when started (mediatomb pop up menu) it doesn't get started and stay in red.
An extra icon doesn't appear on the web front end.

monty
bond007
n00b

Postby recliq » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:37 am

have you also installed ffmpeg.app.bin???
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby bond_007 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:17 pm

yes i also installed this mpeglib app on my usb disk root drive.
bond_007
WDTVer

Postby RMerlin » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:29 pm

bond_007 wrote:yes i also installed this mpeglib app on my usb disk root drive.

What happens if you try to run it manually from the shell:

/tmp/init.d/S96mediatomb start

Also, confirm that ffmpeg is properly installed:

/apps/ffmpeg/bin/ffmpeg -V

You can also enable MEDIATOMB_DEBUG (WEC / Apps tab), then try to start it again. Afterward repost the content of /tmp/mediatomb.log here.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Next

Return to WDLXTV-G2 & WDLXTV-Live/Plus app.bins