HDSync 1.2

Here is the place to inquire about app.bins--Only currently available apps for sigma 8655 based wdtv's belong in this forum. requests go in 'Application Questions'

Re: HDSync 0.6.1   

Postby jaromil » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:42 am

A new release is out!

Thanks to nlue for debugging and sending us pictures 8-)

Here the "Dried sunflower" 0.6.1 release announcement

ciao
Jaromil, developer @ Dyne.org
GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F 5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39
jaromil
Developer

Postby dustmitefilms » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:58 am

Using HDSync 0.6.1 with WDTV Live players and B-Rad's 1.02.21-WDLXTV_LIVE-0.4.7.3 firmware.

After booting players do not navigate to video file and sync, instead the screens go black and all network communication stops.
Formatted flashdrives to EXT3 using UBUNTU through OSX parallels. (Is it possible to use HDSync with a journaled format like HTFS+?)
Please help troubleshoot.

Screenshots taken through osx -

dustmitefilms
n00b

Postby nlue » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:26 am

This process it completely normal. If it is just sitting there and waiting it appears that the server channel is still waiting on slave channels to become ready. So much can go wrong just based on the hdsync.conf. You need to really make sure those numbers are all set correctly. If you FTP into the /tmp directory there are hdsync logs where you can see if it's waiting on a specific IP.

I've found that running the players with the STATIC ip option is the best. Use a basic switch to connect them.
nlue
n00b

Postby dustmitefilms » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:50 pm

Our channels are now playing with HDSync 0.6.1 and firmware 1.02.21 0.4.3.7.
However, only the first two loops are synced and even that doesn't happen every time.
Consecutive loops are out of sync by as much as 5 seconds and do not attempt to resync.
Same results with and without the watchdog timer.
SYNC IS NOT CONSISTENT!

Anyone else ever had this problem?

Are there any other variables I should be looking at?
video length?
mismatched flashdrive size/brand?
file names?
video formats?
dustmitefilms
n00b

Postby dustmitefilms » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:34 pm

Been having some success with version 0.6.1 BUT having issues with looping and freezing.
Some installations are freezing at the end of one loop and others are freezing after several,
or lasting maybe an hour and then freezing. Watchdog does not help and would just be happy
with 4 or 5 hours of continuous playback before losing sync.

Should I go to an older HDSync version? and if so what version of firmware should I use on the players?

TIME IS A FACTOR!
please respond quickly, the gallery opening is upon us.
dustmitefilms
n00b

Postby tilllt » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:56 pm

Hi There,

i got a question regarding the HDSync software and the reliability of the WD Boxes in general. I will set up a 6 channel video installation in a museum for an artist. the museum has some money but not enough to buy 6 dataton licenses + computers. The option i have personally worked with is Zach Poffs Multiscreener which works great but would need 6 macs, which are also not so cheap (6x599€ for the mac mini is quite some money).

BUT, reliability is a must, the museum will kill the artist if its not working and before they do so, he will kill me.
Also i cannot shell out the money for 6 WD devices, just to give it a spin if i find out it doesnt work.

anyone here has experience with running HDSync on the WD boxes normal museum opening hours (8-10hrs) a day for two weeks?
How about sync, the artist told me that sync is essential. maybe it wont matter if they drift off 1-3 frames but anything above could maybe spoil the show...

Any experience with a similar setup?

alternatively i was hoping that the rasperry pi would be out (or use CuBox) and i can run 6 networked VLC clients...
Or any other suggestions?

cheers, t.
tilllt
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:56 pm

I haven't worked with HDSync, but as far as I know it's a best-effort sollution. Not sure if it is still developed/supported any more, so support for your problems might be an issue.

But, if killing is involved, I would steer away from in-house developments because they tend to be less than perfect and eat away your time and energy trying to fix something you don't know can be fixed and doing this with time constraints...

The way I would try it (without HDSync) would be with using NTP to have a synchronized clock and cron to launch playback at a specific time. However, there might be enough variables to make startup fluctuate for 1-2 seconds which would break your setup.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby cymoon » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:56 am

I am using HDSync in a 4 channel setup in a small museum. Using the latest version and the watchdog timer it runs quite stable. Before I had the problem of a frozen image after 5 hours.

Having perfect synchronization and a loop without black frames would be awesome. Is there any way to help? Bugfixing? Donations?
cymoon
n00b

Postby jaromil » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:29 am

Hello there,

Glad to hear HDSync was useful to so many people.

Meanwhile, the development of this software continues! soon there will be another release with lots of new C code that should make it faster (better sync) and portable.
To follow progress on code see http://code.dyne.org/hdsync/log/

However, in June my contract at NIMk will end, after working there for 6 years developing free and open source software, due to cultural funding cuts in Netherlands the whole institute will close, for an explanation of these sad circumstances see:

http://nimk.nl/eng/netherlands-media-art-institute-closes-end-of-2012

http://en.pleintekst.nl/The_21st_century__Stamokap_Date__Wed_Jun_29_00_50_40_CEST_2011.html

This will mean that I won't be able to work regularly on this software unless it makes a revenue in donations and/or services, especially because to work on it I need equipment and a studio space where to set it up. So for all those out there feeling generous, even money donations in bitcoin or paypal or bankwire can help, see http://dyne.org/donate - and of course anyone joining development is very welcome! so far C and 0mq development skills are a requirement.

At last, if you need help, warranty, support etc. please don't overlook the possibility to hire developers for direct support: http://syncstarter.org/service
I'm sorry I cannot reply in detail to all messages asking for help, hiring me is definitely a good way to catch my attention 8-) meanwhile I'll do my best to write clear and exhaustive documentation so that people can make their way through - and of course don't you worry, the HDSync software will always stay 100% free and open source, GNU GPL!
jaromil
Developer

Re: HDSync 1.0   

Postby jaromil » Thu May 10, 2012 6:03 am

A new, final release 1.0 is out. See first post. Cheers.
jaromil
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to WDLXTV-G2 & WDLXTV-Live/Plus app.bins