MiniDLNA 1.0.24 - 1.7 (18-Feb-2012)

Here is the place to inquire about app.bins--Only currently available apps for sigma 8655 based wdtv's belong in this forum. requests go in 'Application Questions'

Re: MiniDLNA 1.0.18.2_CVS-1.1 (22-Nov-2010)   

Postby Tim » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:15 pm

Once again i appreciate the crash course , and i know alot more know about the file structures, but i cannot seem to get any directory
that i type in to stay in the directories you want scanned box in the minidlna settings, everytime i reboot the wdtv, the settings that
point to my usb drive disappear, i guess i still am not getting it. Thankyou for your patience.

Tim
Tim
Donor

Postby RMerlin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:21 pm

Tim wrote:Once again i appreciate the crash course , and i know alot more know about the file structures, but i cannot seem to get any directory
that i type in to stay in the directories you want scanned box in the minidlna settings, everytime i reboot the wdtv, the settings that
point to my usb drive disappear, i guess i still am not getting it. Thankyou for your patience.

Tim

Just copy /tmp/minidlna.conf to /conf as z80pio explained, reboot, and from there on any changes made through the web interface should survive reboots.
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
If you like my work, please consider donating.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby Tim » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:54 pm

Man i must be stuck in my old dos days with file directories, i was pretty good at dos and file structures
but for some reason not seeing this picture.

I have a minidlna.conf file on my usb drive which looks like it has a bunch of crap in it, obvioulsy a demo file.
But to copy it into /conf this is the part where i am lost, i guess i keep thinking i have to create a file folder
on the usb drive called conf, then copy the minidlna.conf into it, but obvioulsy not, Sorry not gettin it.

I am willing to pay you for your time, just send me your paypal email address once i get this figured
and i will send you some money.

Tim
Tim
Donor

Postby RMerlin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:06 pm

Tim wrote:I have a minidlna.conf file on my usb drive which looks like it has a bunch of crap in it, obvioulsy a demo file.
But to copy it into /conf this is the part where i am lost, i guess i keep thinking i have to create a file folder
on the usb drive called conf, then copy the minidlna.conf into it, but obvioulsy not, Sorry not gettin it.

I am willing to pay you for your time, just send me your paypal email address once i get this figured
and i will send you some money.

The instruction says to copy the file from "/tmp" to "/conf". Let's just go back to my post about the Linux file tree:

/ is the root of your WDTV
conf is the branch - we are still on your WDTV.

There is nothing mentioning your USB disk at all in the instructions. No path pointing inside /tmp/media/usb at all - everything is done on the WDTV itself.

So, just take this literally: telnet to your WDTV, and copy the minidlna file in the /tmp folder of your WDTV, to the /conf folder of your WDTV. As simple as:

Code: Select all
cp /tmp/minidlna.conf /conf

And then reboot it. Nothing involves your USB disk in any way in this operation - we are still within your WDTV's file tree.
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby Tim » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:56 am

Thanks for that last piece of info , i am now one step further. I can now access my usb drive with MediaLink Player Lite on my iphone, but what i am still working on is getting WDTVRemote iphone app to show my movies on my phone but i still get empty folders. I see the movies now in the media player library on my computer, as soon i got the minidlna working they appeared in my media player as well, which obvioulsy i finally figured out the right directory to scan.

So what i am trying to do is use minidlna with the WDTVremote app to control my tv.

Have you used this app, if not any reccomendations, i just really want to see my movie list on my iphone and select then watch on tv. I did use mezzmo and it worked but in my mind i thought the minidlna would operate without the computer being on.

Thanks again

Tim
Tim
Donor

Postby RMerlin » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:26 pm

I don't know this application, but it's possible it's only showing files available through the WDTV Media Library, not the ones shared through MiniDLNA (which require a DLNA client such as those I listed a few posts ago). Try one of the DLNA clients I listed, some of them also support sending a file to a "Media Renderer" - the WDTV is such a thing.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby Tim » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:00 pm

Hey RMerlin

I have tryed all those DLNA clients you listed, i found Plug Player to work great. Everything i wanted and more worth the small fee. I also appreciate all your
trainings and crash courses, i would like to send you 50 bucks for your time, and to show my appreciation. Can i send it to you via paypal, or other means.
Thanks again, really appreciate it.

Tim
Tim
Donor

Postby RMerlin » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:04 pm

Tim wrote:Hey RMerlin

I have tryed all those DLNA clients you listed, i found Plug Player to work great. Everything i wanted and more worth the small fee. I also appreciate all your
trainings and crash courses, i would like to send you 50 bucks for your time, and to show my appreciation. Can i send it to you via paypal, or other means.
Thanks again, really appreciate it.

Tim

Glad you got it sorted out :)

Sure, there's a PayPal link in my signature. And thank you :)
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:00 pm

Well i have been testing my setup with Plugplayer , minidlna and my iphone, so far everything is pretty good.

Now the only other issues i am having is getting my usb drives to pwr down after i turn off the wd live. I have read to take out the # on the config_tool -c USB_POWER_OFF=1 , line
in the S00 custom options, file then save it to my usb drive. Which i did. Then it must upload because after that it says disabled file, and from what i understand it uploads the file
once then disables, because there is no point for it to upload every time.

Or should i even worry about powering off the usb drives ?

Next i have folders on the usb drives, some movies , some tv shows, but what happens is they get comined into one big file on my iphone app, plugplayer. When i click on folders
there is no folders just one big file, is this an issue with the media app on the phone or something i can do on the minidlna side ? , because it would be nice to say have the folders
seperate, like they are on the usb drives, but i must say it is cool that both drives get accessed and alphabatized.

Thanks for your time and input, and once again thanks for everything !

Tim
Tim
Donor

Postby RMerlin » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Tim wrote:Well i have been testing my setup with Plugplayer , minidlna and my iphone, so far everything is pretty good.

Now the only other issues i am having is getting my usb drives to pwr down after i turn off the wd live. I have read to take out the # on the config_tool -c USB_POWER_OFF=1 , line
in the S00 custom options, file then save it to my usb drive. Which i did. Then it must upload because after that it says disabled file, and from what i understand it uploads the file
once then disables, because there is no point for it to upload every time.

You can set that option through the web interface - much simpler than dealing with S00custom-options.

The file gets renamed to "disabled" after you access the web interface to ensure that any change you do through the web interface won't be overriden by S00custom-options on your next reboot. S00custom-options is really a relic from the pre-WEC era, you shouldn't need it except for very specific scenarios.

Powering down USB drives won't work in your case, as you have app.bin files on it (in this case, the minidlna.app.bin).

[quote="Tim"]
Next i have folders on the usb drives, some movies , some tv shows, but what happens is they get comined into one big file on my iphone app, plugplayer. When i click on folders
there is no folders just one big file, is this an issue with the media app on the phone or something i can do on the minidlna side ? , because it would be nice to say have the folders
seperate, like they are on the usb drives, but i must say it is cool that both drives get accessed and alphabatized.

/quote]

I never tried Plugplayer, but most DLNA clients will let you browse by categories, or by Folders. If you browse by Folders then you should see the files organized exactly the same way they are on the WDTV. If they aren't still sorted into separate folders, then Plugplayer might be doing something about it, because they should still be in their original organization.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

PreviousNext

Return to WDLXTV-G2 & WDLXTV-Live/Plus app.bins