MiniDLNA 1.0.24 - 1.7 (18-Feb-2012)

Here is the place to inquire about app.bins--Only currently available apps for sigma 8655 based wdtv's belong in this forum. requests go in 'Application Questions'

Re: MiniDLNA 1.0.18.2_CVS-1.1 (22-Nov-2010)   

Postby hoopbull » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:09 pm

I tried reloading plugplayer. Even rebooted the iPhone. What's interesting is that I have several Dlna programs on my iPhone (wdtvremote, plugplayer, and mplayer). Each one has it's issues. Plugplayer cannot see the minidlna server, wdtvremote cannot list my entire mp3 collection but does see minidlna and can push to the wdtv, and mplayer sees minidlnas entire library but does not push to the WDTV. Has anyone successfully been able to push all their minidlna media to the WDTV through their iPhone?
hoopbull
WDTVer

Postby RMerlin » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:31 pm

hoopbull wrote:Each one has it's issues.

That was precisely my conclusion after trying four or five clients on my iPod Touch (most of them with Mezzmo as my DLNA server). :(

I'll test those I still have later, and report back my own results.
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
If you like my work, please consider donating.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby z80pio » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:15 pm

Thanks RMerlin!
z80pio uses WDTV Live Plus with WDLXTV 0.4.5.3
z80pio
WDTVer

Postby RMerlin » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:34 pm

I did my tests only using audio files.

MediaLink Player Lite: Works (this is my favorite player on the iPod so far)
iMediaSuite: crashes
8Player: works
media:Connect (Lite version): Works
PlugPlayer: don't have it, and it's not free, so can't test it.

Note that DLNA relies heavily on UPNP, so make sure that is enabled in your router. Sometimes you might have to reboot your router, as the UPNP daemon in it might be crashed (that happened to me with older DD-WRT versions, it was a known bug was fixed around last spring time)
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby hoopbull » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:23 am

Just tried the ZappoTv iphone app. For my purpose, this app works the best. Its a bit buggy, but impressive. I can finally say I have achieved what I have been missing the most with my WDTV experience: Being able to control local media and stream it to the WDTV without needing to turn on the tv. Thanks to everyone who helped put this together...
hoopbull
WDTVer

MiniDLNA 1.0.18.2-1.1 & WDLXTV_PLUS Firmware 0.4.5.3   

Postby Tim » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:42 pm

Need help please ?, i have been over and over this for 2 days now and cannot seem to solve my problem.

I have MiniDLNA 1.0.18.2-1.1 & WDLXTV_PLUS Firmware 0.4.5.3

I am simply trying to access the movies from my usb hard drive that is connected to my wdtv live through my iphone.

I have WDTV Remote app for my iphone but have tryed MLPlayer Lite as well, either app works fine with my phone.
Anyways i cannot seem to get a proper path or directory setup in MiniDlna.
When i access it on my iphone i see the WDLXTV MINIDLNA Server , no problem. But the folders are empty, and this obviously is because
of a none specified path or directory in MiniDLNA.

The path that i try to specify just does not seem to stick in the settings, and from what i understand the Firmware 0.4.5.3 should just save the config file
without me having to do it manually to the conf file.

My usb drive shows up as drive z on my computer because it is mapped there.

How do i get the proper path, or directory i see stuff out there like /tmp/media/usb/usb2/ , were is that info coming from to get that directory name?

Oh yeah i can use Mezzmo and it works, but i would rather use MiniDlna instead of running extra software on my computer.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, thankyou!

Tim
Tim
Donor

Postby z80pio » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:49 pm

Tim,
I just came past that issue. I have done the configuration like the following:

V,/tmp/media/usb/USB1/829478C39478BAED/Video
A,/tmp/media/usb/USB1/829478C39478BAED/Audio
P,/tmp/media/usb/USB1/829478C39478BAED/Photos

To persist your configuration:
1) make sure your config is saved on /tmp/minidlna.conf
2) cp /tmp/minidlna.conf /conf/minidlna.conf

After reboot, this works, but it will take some time to scan your folders for indexing.
Also, from this point onwards, will anything changed in GUI will be updated on the /conf/minidlna.conf directly? ==> Since I myself a noob, I would like somebody else to confirm this.

Thanks
z80pio uses WDTV Live Plus with WDLXTV 0.4.5.3
z80pio
WDTVer

Postby RMerlin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:44 am

z80pio wrote:To persist your configuration:

After reboot, this works, but it will take some time to scan your folders for indexing.
Also, from this point onwards, will anything changed in GUI will be updated on the /conf/minidlna.conf directly?

Yes.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby Tim » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:21 am

z80pio wrote:Tim,
I just came past that issue. I have done the configuration like the following:

V,/tmp/media/usb/USB1/829478C39478BAED/Video
A,/tmp/media/usb/USB1/829478C39478BAED/Audio
P,/tmp/media/usb/USB1/829478C39478BAED/Photos

To persist your configuration:

Also, from this point onwards, will anything changed in GUI will be updated on the /conf/minidlna.conf directly? ==> Since I myself a noob, I would like somebody else to confirm this.

Thanks

Since i am a noob to this as well, can you tell me were the tmp folder is suppose to be, i have created s folder called tmp on the root of the usb drive with
the conf file in it, but it is not being written too it, thats why my settings are not being saved, i guess i just have this one last hurdle and i will be there.

I see that minidlna creates a .minidlna_data file on the root of the usb drive with a DB file in it, but thats the only file i see that gets saved.

Thanks for the information , i really appreicate it.
Tim
Donor

Postby RMerlin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:43 am

Quick crash course on *IX filesystems:

Under *IX (in this case, Linux), all disks are unified within one single big tree. It all begin with the root of your WDTV:
Code: Select all
/

From there, you have branches. For example:

/home/user
/tmp/
/usr/bin/

These are all folders on your Linux system.

When a separate disk is plugged to a Linux system, you create a mount point on your tree, and the disk will branch off from that mount point. So in the WDTV case, all disks are automatically mounted on mount points located inside /tmp/media/usb/ . So, if you have two disks, they will be mounted as this:

/tmp/media/usb/USB1/serial-label1/
/tmp/media/usb/USB2/serial-balel2/

So, you have to figure out the mount point of your disk, and it will be how you refer to the content on that disk. Look inside /tmp/usb/ to figure it out, or look at the mounted devices through the Webend (hint: /dev/sda refers to a physical device, NOT a filesystem path. You want something inside /tmp/media/usb/something )

So, every time someone says you need to create a file under /conf, or to access a file on your USB disk, go back to the tree design. /conf is a branch on your WDTV itself, while /tmp/media/usb/USB1/829478C39478BAED/Photos will point to the folder called Photo at the root of your USB disk.

Here endeth the lesson. :ugeek:
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

PreviousNext

Return to WDLXTV-G2 & WDLXTV-Live/Plus app.bins