OpenVPN 2.1.3

Here is the place to inquire about app.bins--Only currently available apps for sigma 8655 based wdtv's belong in this forum. requests go in 'Application Questions'

Re: OpenVPN 2.1.3   

Postby recliq » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:47 am

­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby namtih » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:59 am

Thank you very much. The app is working with the 1.05 firmware, too.

I think I was able to get it working, but have some questions:
1. How can I confirm that the connection is really encrypted from the command line?
I see a "tun0" with ifconfig, but is there a method to confirm this?
On my desktop I open a website like http://www.wieistmeineip.de/ and check the ip and country. But I don't know such a method from the command line.

2. The provided ovpn configuration files use a script called "update-resolv-conf", which isn't available on the wd.
I was able to find it here: http://www.subvs.co.uk/openvpn_resolvconf
When I check the script it also uses this: /sbin/resolvconf - which isn't available neither.
Does someone know how to implement this?
Moved on to the RaspberryPi + xbian (XBMC).
Thank you all for 2 great years and all your work to provide such fantastic firmware. Also a big thank you to the guys in the DD thread for all their ongoing support.
Good luck to all of you and perhaps we will see us in any Raspberry forum, cheers :-)
namtih
Donor

Postby namtih » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:51 am

namtih wrote:1. How can I confirm that the connection is really encrypted from the command line?
I see a "tun0" with ifconfig, but is there a method to confirm this?
On my desktop I open a website like http://www.wieistmeineip.de/ and check the ip and country. But I don't know such a method from the command line.

Code: Select all
wget -O - http://automation.whatismyip.com/n09230945.asp 2>/dev/null
Thank you all for 2 great years and all your work to provide such fantastic firmware. Also a big thank you to the guys in the DD thread for all their ongoing support.
Good luck to all of you and perhaps we will see us in any Raspberry forum, cheers :-)
namtih
Donor

Postby namtih » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:47 am

The app is working, but I've noticed some crashes in the past weeks and don't see any option to fine-tune on the settings.
Does perhaps someone have the time to compile an updated version?
namtih
Donor

Postby Martin_L » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:52 pm

I am having trouble keeping the openvpn app working. I work with firmware: 1.05.04_V.WDLXTV_LIVE-0.5.1.1.

In order to perform the tests, I kept a "fresh" app.bin file, with the correct configuration. I copy it to the USB drive each time.

1. Fresh file, copied into drive, without rebooting WDTV. Starting the application with "app-plugman-web load <mypath>/openvpn.app.bin"
- OpenVPN works without problems!

2. When WDTV reboots, the app.bin file gets "corrupted" and openvpn can not be started any more. By comparing the "corrupted" file with the "fresh" one, I tracked down the differences to the persistence of the symlinks in the openvpn/lib folder.
liblzo2.so.2 -> liblzo2.so.2.0.0
libpam.so.0 -> libpam.so.0.82.2
libpam_misc.so.0 -> libpam_misc.so.0.82.0
libpamc.so.0 -> libpamc.so.0.82.1
libpkcs11-helper.so.1 -> libpkcs11-helper.so.1.0.0

I could "refresh" the file by deleting those symlinks and unloading.
rm /apps/openvpn/lib/libpkcs11-helper.so.1
rm /apps/openvpn/lib/libpamc.so.0
rm /apps/openvpn/lib/libpam_misc.so.0
rm /apps/openvpn/lib/libpam.so.0
rm /apps/openvpn/lib/liblzo2.so.2

...When unloading the app.bin it always shows the error:
sed: cannot create temp file /etc/ld.so.confWTBp6w: Read-only file system

...When unloading the app.bin that was loaded during reboot I sometimes get:
umount: can't umount /apps/openvpn: Device or resource busy

... and in this case the file gets definitely corrupted without fix.
Anyone has a hint about why this happens? Its only in my case?

If I can solve this, I was preparing an updated app.bin compatible with the new "Addons manager", allowing the start and stop of the openvpn daemon.
Beyond that, I was able to make the app work as server in the simple case of a pre-shared static key. Once solved the issues, I want to prepare a simple app.bin to make this configuration very easy for laymen.

Thanks,

Martin_L

[edited: 01/01/2012]: Forget all the testing nonsense I wrote. I was lost. After deeper analysis I tracked the problem down to a correct path to the key in the configuration file.
Last edited by Martin_L on Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin_L
DLX'er

Postby namtih » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:50 pm

Can't confirm these issues, all is working fine after a reboot.
But when you check my signature, I'm using a slighty different environment (0.5.1.4 + EXT3).
namtih
Donor

Postby spazlon » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:14 pm

When I try to start the app using /apps/openvpn-0.3/etc/init.d/S99openvpn start I get the following error:

# init.d/S99openvpn start                                                                                                                                                                   
Starting OenVPN service...                                                                                                                                                                   
insmod: can't read '/apps/openvpn/lib/modules/2.6.22.19-19-4/tun.ko': No such file or directory

How do I fix this?
WDLXTV Live+ 1.05.04_.0.5.1.1 SVN on external USB
spazlon
WDTVer

Postby namtih » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:26 am

Which version do you use? This one from a previous post?
recliq wrote:http://files.wdlxtv.de/openvpn-0.3.app.bin

The correct path would be:
# pwd
/apps/openvpn-0.3/lib/modules/2.6.22.19-19-4
#
# ls -al
drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root          1024 Jan  1  2000 .
drwxrwxrwx    3 root     root          1024 Jan  1  2000 ..
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root         14722 Feb 10  2010 tun.ko

And I only use the command "openvpn" to start a new session.
namtih
Donor

Postby recliq » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:17 am

spazlon wrote:When I try to start the app using /apps/openvpn-0.3/etc/init.d/S99openvpn start I get the following error:

# init.d/S99openvpn start                                                                                                                                                                   
Starting OenVPN service...                                                                                                                                                                   
insmod: can't read '/apps/openvpn/lib/modules/2.6.22.19-19-4/tun.ko': No such file or directory

How do I fix this?

Rename openvpn-0.3.app.bin to openvpn.app.bin and reboot.
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby tafazzi87 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:32 am

where can i find link download that works? thanks
tafazzi87
WDTVer

PreviousNext

Return to WDLXTV-G2 & WDLXTV-Live/Plus app.bins