WDLXTV Monitoring tool

Here is the place to inquire about app.bins--Only currently available apps for sigma 8655 based wdtv's belong in this forum. requests go in 'Application Questions'

WDLXTV Monitoring tool   

Postby Jacket » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:46 am

WDLxTV Monitoring tool lets you view and store graphs showing various hardware aspects of your wdtv.

You can monitor the following with wdmon:

• CPU usage
  • System load
  • Interface statistics (traffic/packets)
  • Memory usage
  • HDD usage
  • HDD Temperature

The software is 100% self-learning, so if, for example you put another usb drive, it will automatically detect it and start drawing graphs for it in a minute.
There is an auto-update feature. If new version is available, you will see "New version available" banner at the top-right corner of the main page. If you click it, it will automatically download and install the new version.

Here are some screenshots:

Image Image

Download the app.bin from here

Install notes:
Just put wdmon.app.bin in you first flash usb drive and reboot your wdtv.
Code: Select all
# cd /tmp/media/usb/USB1/<tab>/
# wget http://bit.ly/wdtv_wdmon -O wdmon.app.bin.gz
# gunzip wdmon.app.bin.gz
# sync && sync && sync && sync
# reboot

Usage:
Open http://wdtvip/plugins/wdmon (replace [wdtvip] with your wdtvlive ip address) in your web browser to view your graphs. Click on a graph to view details about it.
Default username and password is admin:wdmon (from version 0.7 password protection is disabled by default, because of the new apache server and it's own password protection. If you want it back, you can enable it by renaming userconfig.php.dist to userconfig.php in etc/ directory, and set $config["password_protected_web"] to true). You can change it in etc/config.php, but first you'll need to hash it (for example here http://www.adamek.biz/md5-generator.php).

Requirements:
WDlxTV Live from b-rad - http://b-rad.cc/wdlxtv-live/
rrdtool.app.bin - http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1156

This software is still in early beta stage, so if you see any bug, don't hesitate to post here. Also i'm open to suggestions, and other comments. If you know something that could be useful to monitor, i will include it.
For now the rrd files are stored in the app.bin itself. I know it isn't the best option, but it seems to be the most compatile to me for now. The only problem is that, if you overwrite the app.bin, you will lose your graphs.

Upgrade instructions:
If you are running version prior ot 0.4.2.0 of WDlxTV, you can just click the "New version available" link on the top right bottom of the screen. If you are running a latter version, because of apache restricted permissions, you have yo run manually the following from ssh/telnet:
/bin/sh /apps/wdmon/bin/wdmon_upgrade.sh

Changelog

1.0:
   Changed HDD Temperature fetching algorithm.
   Some small UI bugfixes.
   Tested to work with b-rad's FW versions 0.4.2.0, 0.4.2.1 and 0.4.2.2.
   Fixed "Start/Stop Daemon" function from the main web interface of WDTV.
0.7:
   Added new graph - Free space in /tmp. Useful if, for example you have a log file or something else that eats your space.
   Removed some debugging from the poller that logs the temperature in the log file on every poll.
0.6:
   Udated webend links for version 0.4.2.1 of b-rad's fw.
   Fixed some minor bugs with the ui.
   Fixed a bug causing time selectors in the main window to not remember the last selected time.
0.5:
   Graphs are now ordered by name.
   Added an option to remove password authentication. rename etc/userconfig.php.dist to etc/userconfig.php (if you haven't allready) and change $config["password_protected_web"] to false.
   Fixed a bug with the calendar on the main page - start date couldn't be set to less than current.
0.4:
   Added new graph type - HDD Temperature
   Included smartctl in the package.
   Added interval controls in the main page.
   Added option to delete graphs. Click on any graph, and there will be a X icon on the right of the interval controls. Useful for example if you attach a usb device only once, because a graph will be automatically assigned to it and will never dissapear automaticaly.
0.3:
   Added new graph type - HDD Activity.
   WDMon is now added as webplugin. You can view/stop/start it directly via your device web page.
   New daemon watchdog process written in c++.
   Included iostat in the package. It's needed for the new graph type.
   Renamed web/ dir to wdmon/ for the purpose of webplugin. You can safely remove web/ dir after you update to this version.
   Added new file - etc/userconfig.php.dist. Rename it to userconfig.php and edit your credential there and they will persist between updates.
0.2:
   Fixed few minor interface bugs, and a wrong link in this doc.
   Changed hdd detection to rely on device names [/dev/sdxy],
   so if one disk is mounted twice (seems to happen when Media Library is turned off),
   it will not produce two graphs.
0.1:
   initial release.
Last edited by Jacket on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:13 am, edited 5 times in total.
Jacket
Developer

Re: WDLXTV Monitoring tool   

Postby recliq » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:17 am

Jacket, I am seriously concerned!
It seems you have been infected with the wdtv dev virus :o

Have you observed one or more of the following symptoms?

- not using the wdtv for watching videos anymore...
- spending a lot of time waiting for reboots...
- discovering a small black remote control somewhere and asking yourself which device it belogs to...

Becareful, once infected it's hard to get rid off the virus again :lol:
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby b-rad.cc » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:21 am

recliq wrote:- not using the wdtv for watching videos anymore...

wait a sec here...this thing plays movies!?! :shock: :lol:

Great posts Jacket!
PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
:mrgreen:
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby Jacket » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:51 am

Absolutely right :) I think i'm just starting now...
I just bought the thing 3 days ago and my old computer is already in the basement :)

b-rad, you've done an awesome job with WDlxTV, thank you!
Jacket
Developer

Postby Jacket » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:42 pm

Updated to version 0.2.

Changelog:
0.2:    Fixed few minor interface bugs, and a wrong link in README doc.
        Changed hdd detection to rely on device names [/dev/sdxy],
        so if one disk is mounted twice (seems to happen when Media Library is turned off),
        it will not produce two graphs.
0.1:    initial release.
Jacket
Developer

Postby Eugen1968 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:13 pm

It show the web page with WDlxTV Monitor title, but not any graphs :(
Eugen1968
Donor

Postby player_sct » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:02 pm

"It show the web page with WDlxTV Monitor title, but not any graphs"

me too...
player_sct
Beta Tester

Postby controlshiftdelete » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:39 pm

I get a dialog with the following message when i try to open the wdmon page, A username and password are being requested by http://192.168.1.3. The site says: "WDlxTV Monitor Login".
Not sure what credentials to enter here.
controlshiftdelete
n00b

Postby Jacket » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:07 pm

controlshiftdelete wrote:I get a dialog with the following message when i try to open the wdmon page, A username and password are being requested by http://192.168.1.3. The site says: "WDlxTV Monitor Login".
Not sure what credentials to enter here.

"Default username and password is admin:wdmon. You can change it in /apps/wdmon/etc/config.php, but first you'll need to hash it (for example here http://www.adamek.biz/md5-generator.php)"
i'ts in the README file.
Last edited by Jacket on Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacket
Developer

Postby Jacket » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:15 pm

Eugen1968 wrote:It show the web page with WDlxTV Monitor title, but not any graphs :(

player_sct wrote:me too...

Did you installed rrdtool.app.bin first?
If you did, can you telnet/ssh to your wdtv, try "cat /tmp/wdmon.log" and paste here the contents of the file. There should be one or two lines at most.
Also try to restart the daemon process by executing
# /tmp/init.d/S99wdmon stop
# /tmp/init.d/S99wdmon start

I'm investigating a problem now with my wdtv. It boots verry slowly, and wdmon is starting, but not drawing graphs until i manually restart it. I'm not sure still what's exactly the cause of this...
Jacket
Developer

Next

Return to WDLXTV-G2 & WDLXTV-Live/Plus app.bins