Does WDTV media player works with USB Monitor E2251F WU

General homebrew discussion area

Does WDTV media player works with USB Monitor E2251F WU   

Postby Benutzername Passwort » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:32 am

Hi,

as subject above asks already.....I was wondering about if in general, or may be with homebrew firmware it would be possible that WDTV mediaplayer would work with a usb monitor, for example with AOC USB Monitor E2251F WU?
Benutzername Passwort
n00b

Re: Does WDTV media player works with USB Monitor E2251F WU   

Postby mad_ady » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:02 am

I first thought your post was a prank - surely there's no such thing as a usb monitor... But I learned something new today, so thanks!

The answer is no - wdtv can't use a usb monitor for video output because it doesn't have the necessary video driver for it. Also no - I doubt the driver can be compiled for wdtv's old kernel, and even if we could you wouldn't be able to run osd output through it. The reason is that the osd is specially compiled to use hardware acceleration from the onboard hardware video decoder chip.

So, sorry, no - unless you can feed it a HDMI signal and use usb only for power
mad_ady
Developer

Re: Does WDTV media player works with USB Monitor E2251F WU   

Postby kroetkroet » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:42 am

Especially with a forum username like that, you'd see a prank coming from miles away lol. But I indeed see great future with USB screens in cars (for the kiddo's in the backseat), but hey, doesn't Medion already have these cheapass DVD-carry-&-drop cinema things? :mrgreen:
</fly-away>
KK
WDLXTV-fan! - In case you need further assistance: read our WIKI, search our Forum and most of all: donate 'something' to b-rad for his great efforts!!!
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Return to WDTV G2 & WDTV Live homebrew discussion