Display active bitrate onscreen

General homebrew discussion area

Display active bitrate onscreen   

Postby bmcelvan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:05 am

I have two questions.

First I have this model #: WDBYMN0000NBK-HESN bought at Bestbuy last week...so very new.
Which "version is it"? I see gen1, 2, 3 live and plus and want to make sure I get the right flash module.

Second and real question...One thing I love about my Sony bluray player but don't see as much as I'd like to on other players is the ability to show the current bitrate on screen (display button). It shows both the audio codec and bitrate and video codec and bitrate. Is that possible with any of these firmwares updates?

The standard "bitrate" in the current WD firmware looks to be the average for the file and is also usually very wrong...for example my STAR WARS Episode IV bluray to mkv remux file has a bitrate of 67,656 Mbps. Yeah, that''s nearly 70 Gbps...can't possibly be right. Also, when you hit "options" on the remote the movie stops playing...so it certainly can't be an active number.

I've checked the wiki page and searched "bitrate" and something about "appz" came up by rezmus which I think is what I am looking for but from the page I was won I have no idea what it was applicable to.

Thanks for any info/help.
bmcelvan
n00b

Re: Display active bitrate onscreen   

Postby KAD » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:35 pm

that's a gen4 device
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby JoeySmyth » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:39 pm

Something that is odd ....

This site list's the Bitrates for the Star Wars Blu Ray Collection ... and all of them are about "Half" the bitrate of your's :shock:

The Phantom Menace has an average video bitrate of 28 Mbps and average audio bitrate of 4.6 Mbps.
The Attack of the Clones has an average video bitrate of 29 Mbps and average audio bitrate of 4.0 Mbps.
Revenge of the Sith has an average video bitrate of 30 Mbps and average audio bitrate of 4.7 mbps.
A New Hope has an average video bitrate of 31 Mbps and average audio bitrate of 3.9 Mbps.
The Empire Strikes Back has an average video bitrate of 30 Mbps and average audio bitrate of 4.6 Mbps.
Return of the Jedi has an average video bitrate of 30 Mbps and average audio bitrate of 4.5 mbps.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-official-avs-blu-ray-disc-reviews/1361412-star-wars-complete-saga-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review.html
JoeySmyth
DLX'er

Postby bmcelvan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:17 pm

I know that's my point. The software native to my device is messing up the calculation...it's not off by half or 50% it's off by 5000% becasue it's listing as Gbps not Mbps, rather tens of thousands of Mbps.

Weird.

So it's a gen4 device...thanks for reply.
bmcelvan
n00b

Postby ebo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:58 am

bmcelvan wrote:The standard "bitrate" in the current WD firmware looks to be the average for the file and is also usually very wrong...for example my STAR WARS Episode IV bluray to mkv remux file has a bitrate of 67,656 Mbps. Yeah, that''s nearly 70 Gbps...can't possibly be right.

Some countries reverse the meanings of the comma and decimal, so 67,656 Mbps could mean 67.656 Mbps. This is within the bitrate Blu-ray is capable of. From blu-ray.com's Blu-ray FAQ:
1.7 How fast can you read/write data on a Blu-ray disc?

According to the Blu-ray Disc specification, 1x speed is defined as 36Mbps. However, as BD-ROM movies will require a 54Mbps data transfer rate the minimum speed we're expecting to see is 2x (72Mbps).

One other possibility, though it wouldn't explain a near-70 Gbps rate, is that it could be reporting the HDMI bitrate, which is uncompressed and therefore always much higher then the rate coming from the source. Hdmi Bit Rate Calculator shows a chart of bitrates for different resolutions, frame rates and color depths. The maximum rate shown is 8.91 Gbps.
ebo
Donor

Return to WDTV G2 & WDTV Live homebrew discussion