Testers needed to help out with porting wdlxtv to 1.06 base

General homebrew discussion area

Re: Testers needed to help out with porting wdlxtv to 1.06 b   

Postby drlehr » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:34 am

Thannnnk you! Yes that solved the issue. I do have one more question (what's easiest way to change screen saver logo... I know post doesn't belong here...but maybe it's fast answer)..

Damon
drlehr
n00b

Postby recliq » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:47 am

from S00custom-options included with the firmware...
Code: Select all
## change screen saver image between wdlxtv & original WD logo's, or arbitrary location
##
## wdlxtv logo
#config_tool -c SCREEN_SAVER_IMAGE=screen_saver.png
## original WD logo
#config_tool -c SCREEN_SAVER_IMAGE=screen_saver.orig.png
## some random location (absolute)
#config_tool -c SCREEN_SAVER_IMAGE=/tmp/mnt/123ed956-1256-4825-9e79-86fc1e0febaa/some/random/screensaver-image.png
##
## You can also supply an image, on an attached device at boot (like S00custom-options),
## which is *NO* larger than 512KB named screen_saver.png and it will be used as the custom screen saver image
## *ONLY* screen_saver.png will work in this method, and *you may remove the device if you desire* after screen_saver.png has been loaded
##

I now added it to the wiki, because it was missing: http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/S00custom-options
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby mad_ady » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:57 am

Ok guys, I'm slowly getting back on track with this. Hopefully there will be new tests ready for the weekend.

Funny thing. Somebody pointed me to this link on IRC for reverse engineering Live HUB about a month ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0P1Lx5DRvE. If you follow it you can see that that guy hit most of the same problems we did and reached about the same conclusions (about root password changing, encrypted dmaosd, etc). Could have saved me a week of fiddling if I had seen that video sooner :D But hey, I would have missed all the fun :D

I'll keep you guys posted when I make more changes.

Edit: I managed to push the files extracted by red_sound on the plus firmware tree. If you update from svn to rev 76, the plus firmware should boot the OSD from within the USB drive, not from the encrypted partition. Also, the root password should not change anymore.

I need to add a couple more commits regarding kernel module management and then add the wdlxtv init script I've ported over (that should start all the processes, allow root.bins/rootfs, etc). I'll try to push these changes tomorrow.

Edit2: I just tested and the plus firmware booted fine on my live... So, it's something :D We can now proceed...
mad_ady
Developer

Postby red_sound » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:39 am

I'm sure you have nailed it, but I'll test and confirm for you later today or for sure this weekend.

Thanks!
red_sound
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:45 am

Sorry, I haven't been able to add more commits today. I was busy porting my old work laptop to a new i7 :D
I'll try to be more productive next week.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby red_sound » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:39 am

I started the bin build process from scratch. During SVN I noted this:
... omitted...
A osd/list_sheet.xml
A osd/youtube_keyboard_eu.xml
A osd/font
svn: REPORT of '/svn/1.06.43-wdlxtv/!svn/vcc/default': Could not read response body: Secure connection truncated (https://svn.wdlxtv.com)

The result was no OSD, no Telnet, and no ping available...

I'm going to try it again from scratch shortly to confirm as I don't trust my USB stick.

Edit1:

I went back to my original, larger/faster USB. It was formatted with NTFS but worked no problem with Plus release 76. The OSD is up with 1.06 menu's, Telnet works, no password required:

# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root)
#

Let me know what else you'll need to know.

Thanks!
red_sound
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:15 am

I have bad news, guys. Last night my WDTV caught fire and caused a bit of damage in my appartment :evil: I don't know what caused the fire, but last time the box was stuck in an infinite loop, and must have overheated :(

This means that I'm out of a WDTV and can't continue developing this port anymore. Also, the Wife is pretty upset so I won't be getting any WDTVs any time soon :cry:

Sorry for ditching you...
mad_ady
Developer

Postby kroetkroet » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:18 am

Oh mad_ady! Sorry to hear this!

Look at it from the bright side: better to have a wife on fire than a fire on your wife! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I guess you can continue watching the "free movies" till the fire is gone :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
WDLXTV-fan! - In case you need further assistance: read our WIKI, search our Forum and most of all: donate 'something' to b-rad for his great efforts!!!
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Postby mad_ady » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:22 am

You've seen right through my ruse, kroetkroet, you arsenist maniac :P
mad_ady
Developer

Postby red_sound » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:57 am

Sorry to hear about the damage and scare it caused!

Is there any other options for this project to continue or is this the last of it?
red_sound
DLX'er

PreviousNext

Return to WDTV G2 & WDTV Live homebrew discussion