Beta firmwares available (0.5.2.1) - Beta testers needed!

General homebrew discussion area

Re: Beta firmwares available (0.5.2.1) - Beta testers needed   

Postby kroetkroet » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:21 pm

Glad to be of service :lol:

Fortunately (for me), I'm not a WDTVExt addict, so I'm gonna turn it off again :mrgreen:

I can retry the tests with yesterdays latest firmware if you want, but if you think it will be the same on my great unit, I'll wait :lol:

Cherios :D
KK
WDLXTV-fan! - In case you need further assistance: read our WIKI, search our Forum and most of all: donate 'something' to b-rad for his great efforts!!!
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Postby mad_ady » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:01 am

Yeah, you can use yesterday's beta only if you want to try out rtorrent. I haven't used it as well.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:08 am

A little update on the crash at boot issues seen with WDTVEXT. I employed the help of my wife to understand what needs to be done to isloate the problem (she is a Software QA Engineer), and we devised some tests.

If the firmware crashes with the factory default + WDTVEXT=ON config, I should test if the firmware still crashes with the factory default keys but with the values from my config or not. If it crashes, then the logical explanation would be that I'm missing some parameter(s) compared to the base. If it works, then it means that some default parameter values are wrong.

Well, I did the test, and the unit crashes with the default config adjusted with my values, so, I'm going to investigate the missing parameters next using this default config as a base...
I'm going to try each parameter from my smallest config that works and add it to the default values and see what happens.
I'll keep you posted, and I'm also interested in your ideas.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby kroetkroet » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:51 am

Your wife's idea sounds like mine from yesterday, but in a more understandable version :lol:

Good luck testing mad_ady!
KK
WDLXTV-fan! - In case you need further assistance: read our WIKI, search our Forum and most of all: donate 'something' to b-rad for his great efforts!!!
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Postby mad_ady » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:06 am

Ok, this time I think I nailed it, and all the WTFs that have accumulated during this week are starting to fall into place and clear.

So, we have a default config that fails to boot when WDTVEXT=ON. I tested the default settings compared with mine and my settings also failed to boot (kept only the same configuration keys). I had a "minimal" configuration that always boots. So, I extracted the keys from the minimal config that were not in the factory default config and tried them one by one. Luckly, there were only a few missing keys:
Code: Select all
wlan_name=''
WDTV_SN='WNV100516785'
YOUTUBE_DEVICEID='AOuj_RrKyhiODjOLOnNrxOHdbnrusQVUuE2lwoEaZYSRUROpnhuZXd9SqU2PP8vodh3g6wEJ4B-MhsVRrpR10FazM6e2szsNzpjSUa6u9UfgwdvlbokYwm8'
YOUTUBE_DEVICEKEY='BiO7bZZnkKa/vXqavZuaqoGv99f6JfnaIGMb/fGgfi0=y'
TIMEZONE='Europe/Bucharest'
IPUP='ON'
NTPSERVER='pool.ntp.org'
PANDORA='OFF'

So I tried each one and when I enabled IPUP=ON, low and behold, the firmware booted (every time!). I also tested the factory default config + IPUP=ON + WDTVEXT=ON and again, the firmware booted correctly. So, we can conlude that IPUP=ON is necessary if you want WDTVEXT=ON.

The question is - why? And now it starts to come to me. Somewhere in the WDTVEXT library code is a debug function that tries to connect to 192.168.0.164 (the original developer's IP address) and provide debugging information. If WDTVEXT can't connect to that IP, then nothing goes wrong (I have no idea what happens when the IP is available in the network, but I will test it next week). However, in our case networking was down (DMAOSD traditionally brings the networking up) and the library got a notice that it was disconnected and probably crashed. I remember trying to change that IP to something else (like 127.0.0.1) or to remove the call to the initialization function, but then WDTVEXT crashed instantly and I forgot about it and never tested it again.

This also explains why 8-15% of times it started: DMAOSD would start the network in time...

So, if you want to play with WDTVEXT, make sure to:
* have IPUP=ON
* have networking plugged in (will test it without network cable next week)

I'm glad I got to the bottom of this and I can move on to other things, but right now, my state of mind is perfectly illustrated here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od6hY_50Dh0
mad_ady
Developer

Postby kroetkroet » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:05 am

Well done, indeed, I got the same here:

Code: Select all
config:IPUP='ON'

Enjoy your weekend!
KK
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Postby mad_ady » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:02 pm

I booted with the lan cable unplugged and the box crashes. I wonder if wifi has time to start by the time the osd starts.. Can anyone test this?
Anyway, it needs to be fixed, but should be doable, now that I know the cause
mad_ady
Developer

Postby leetwanker » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:31 pm

I haven't had a chance to read through the entire thread yet but I'm up and running with 1.05.04 0.5.2.1.

Is there some trick to getting WDTVExt plugins to show up?

I've made .wdtvext-plugins on / of my thumbdrive.
Copied Tools and VolumeControl from my 1.02.21 thumbdrive there.
WDTVExt is checked in the Features section of the Webend.
Rebooted.

WDTVExt Plugins Webend is empty.

Any ideas?

EDIT: After WDTVEXT=ON and IPUP=ON via config_tool the device has entered a boot loop. Right about when the OSD is getting ready to show it's pretty face the unit resets. ........... Uhm... It did that about 5 times and now the OSD's just showed up and I have a WDTVExt Plugins shortcut sooooooo. hmm

Back to TESTING!

EDIT2: It appears that editing shortcuts (like with MediaFolder) isn't going to work. It's crashing the OSD everytime I try to enter videos when I have it pointing to USB2.

There's only 2 things I really want from my WDTV. One is Pandora (which is why I'm testing out the newer firmwares) and the other is custom menu shortcuts. Sux.
1.02.21_V.WDLXTV_LIVE-0.5.2.0
leetwanker
DLX'er

Postby DJArty » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:53 am

Yes WD dont boot with unpluged cable - see this one month early but did not attachattach it significance.
WD TV Live (1.02.21-WDLXTV-0.4.7.3);
Please Donate PayPal to email: djartyua ( a t ) gmail (d o t) com
WebMoney: WMZ114867333413
DJArty
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:59 am

@leetwanker: what type of networking do you have? Wired or wifi?
Also, keep in mind that wdtvext is unfinished and will crash sooner or later...

Also, I did stress testing for IPUP=ON with network and the unit booted every time (154 tests)
mad_ady
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to WDTV G2 & WDTV Live homebrew discussion