Beta firmwares available (0.5.2.1) - Beta testers needed!

General homebrew discussion area

Re: Beta firmwares available (0.5.2.1) - Beta testers needed   

Postby mad_ady » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:48 am

Ok, I have some last minute patches available:

Code: Select all
libext-mcount.so 1.3 MB
https://mega.co.nz/#!I4pDAQQC!5rS5d8OI0yaBRGbA6Ysz7LZM3lqN-DL3U-tkQLRmc_Y
libext-trace-connect-skip.so 1.3 MB
https://mega.co.nz/#!B4AERCYb!szZ9vc0_ZwCz6FR4L6ztAaZW1w5qYGOb9nQKlFKea7k
libext-trace-message-proxy.so 1.3 MB
https://mega.co.nz/#!lgY2CQaC!Piz-Ti3m0Lw8zaxQqJG-xpnXJY8groqQfIOo8D5P6ks
libext-trace-method-enter.so 1.3 MB
https://mega.co.nz/#!k8IHCDCK!NKFYRbLDGnbkW1iZ24OLSaSvtECyHo72rgG2e1YmSrk
libext-trace-method-leave.so 1.3 MB
https://mega.co.nz/#!0t5zAJzC!TE3lnS4YHaEAydhcU-T8i_8J7Z25jPhBVcxls6l4kh0
libext-trace-send-skip.so 1.3 MB
https://mega.co.nz/#!ssJGDA7S!MaVBXlFemG-61VKiIxS8ks6CJvbrBVAA06Izt_98p7Y
libext-trace-worker-skip.so 1.3 MB
https://mega.co.nz/#!91wg1ChJ!ULRn5X80KF4UiDNxw73t52hayZtXZktymJ7DFhe0OXs
libext.so 1.3 MB
https://mega.co.nz/#!M04znDAQ!GPdbzQHGPUgEWfjzY8gOKIexFoHH0k-ZTTsC-BKjyLI

Each file is a different iteration of libext.so (and should replace it for testing like before), but with different things overriden. You should try them out in this order:
  • libext-trace-connect-skip.so
  • if it fails (crashes/lockups/etc), try libext-trace-worker-skip.so
  • if it fails (crashes/lockups/etc), try libext-trace-send-skip.so
  • if it fails (crashes/lockups/etc), try libext-trace-message-proxy.so
  • if it fails (crashes/lockups/etc), try libext-trace-method-leave.so
  • if it fails (crashes/lockups/etc), try libext-trace-method-enter.so
  • if it fails (crashes/lockups/etc), try libext-mcount.so

The first file in the list contains all the patches (more than 5K of code changed), the second one doesn't have the trace-connect-skip patch, the third one doesn't have trace-worker-skip and trace-connect-skip, etc. When I say "if it fails", I mean an obvious crash, near the begining of the process or shortly after inside the OSD. These patches should not affect stability, so if it works for 1h, then it's stable :D

I hope the first file will work and I hope it has reasonable performance, because I have no idea what else I can cut down to increase performance.
Let me know what works and what doesn't, because I am not 100% sure about the impact of all the patches I did.

Thanks, and have a productive weekend :D
mad_ady
Developer

Postby DJArty » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:06 pm

libext-trace-connect-skip.so ~5min OSD navigation - freeze
libext-mcount.so no prob with OSD nav but freeze after ~80min film looking. (or if red button off - dont wake up after some time - black screen, but WEC,ssh work)
I'm out from testing this )
WD TV Live (1.02.21-WDLXTV-0.4.7.3);
Please Donate PayPal to email: djartyua ( a t ) gmail (d o t) com
WebMoney: WMZ114867333413; WMU219453404899; WMR161810775332
DJArty
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:49 pm

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for testing. Can you also try the other versions and see which is at least as stable as mcount? I will try to start testing as well over the holidays.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:43 am

Hi again!

Apart from wdtvext stability issues (which are important, but hard to fix), I have another problem introduced by adding the wdtvext commits. Namely, in list view, I get an "off by one" error. Here's an image:

The first item in the list is fine (12 Monkeys), the second item in the list is 28 Weeks Later, but is displayed as the 3rd item and there's a blank in the second item's spot. The icons next to the text are displayed correctly, but the text is offset by one. The selection works correctly (selecting 28 Weeks later enters the correct folder), so the problem seems to be cosmetic.

I think the error appeared after adding the media mark commits (http://svn.wdlxtv.com/revision.php?repname=1.05.04-wdlxtv&path=%2F&rev=719&peg=741), but I'm not sure what needs to be done to fix the issue (and my osd knowledge is limited). Can anybody (recliq, do you know anything about it?) help out?

Thanks!
mad_ady
Developer

Postby recliq » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:19 am

Hm,

markIcon in List mode has always been problematic, originally I tried to display a markIcon for every movie in the list but that didn't work so I resorted to display the markIcon only for the currently selected item.
Anyways it seems dmaosd is doing things different in this version (if it's not wdtvext, should be easy to test: does the problem persist when wdtvext is not loaded?)

We can just try some things in markup (like putting the markIcon into it's own wrapper or add it to the wrapper for the lines)...
Comparing the old and the new xml yields some differences but none of those seems important and are only inside other text tags.
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby mad_ady » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:24 am

Yes, the problem persists also with WDTVEXT=OFF. I haven't checked other views - I'm always using list view.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby recliq » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:33 am

Another thing worth trying, move the markIcon to the bottom of the xml...
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby mad_ady » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:12 am

Ok, I've uploaded what I consider "stable enough" version of libext.so - it is based on libext-trace-worker-skip.so with a few more things cut out. Here is the commit description:

Code: Select all
adrianp@frost:~/development/wdtv-1.05/live/trunk/wdtvext$ svn commit -m "WDTVExt: Removed as much debugging as possible from libext.so without compromising stability (the little there is). Changes made total over 5KB of code changes:
> * Removed 247 calls to _mcount()
> * Removed 54 calls to trace_method_enter()
> * Removed 54 calls to trace_method_leave()
> * Short-circuited the body of trace_message()
> * Removed 84 calls to trace_method_proxy() (aka sub_26F4C)
> * Short-circuited the body of network_trace() (aka sub_27114)
> * Short-circuited the body of trace_worker()
> * Short-circuited the body of _trace_send()
> * Removed calls to clear_trace_entries()
> * Removed calls to Data in [%p, %p) function (around 0x027C90)"
Sending        libext.so
Transmitting file data .
Committed revision 744.

In terms of stability I can say this - I was able to boot the firmware and use it with WTVExt to play a folder with music (>2h) or one or two movies (again, > 2h), without the OSD crashing. All the crashes I had appeared after a longer "wait" period when the player was idle and after I pressed a key. So, it will probably never be more stable without pibos' help, but if the average user wants to use some wdtvext plugin and plans on rebooting (or using deep sleep) between playbacks, then the current version should be good enough. Also, I added a OSD restart button in the webend to be able to restart the OSD in case of crashes without rebooting the box.

I'd like to thank you, DjArty for trying out my experiments. Sorry I wasn't able to improve stability (hopefully there's a little better performance now).

@recliq - I will try it out as soon as possible and report back.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:23 am

I managed to fix the "off-by-one" bug as well and also catch a critical bug in dmaosd that prevented it from starting from a read-only medium. Also, due to space constraints (firmware was too big on the plus), I had to move php and some of its dependencies to /bi2.

I updated the first post with links to this firmware. It's currently beta, so proceed with care. If I get no reports of problems in... let's say a week, I will consider this stable and roll it out.

So, kindly try it out (changelog is on the first post) and report back.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby kroetkroet » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:40 am

I'll try tomorrow morning. Can't guarantee success of the rtorrent CA "trouble", because I never saw it :lol:

Hmm, I don't see updated links? I already downloaded 0.5.2.1?
WDLXTV-fan! - In case you need further assistance: read our WIKI, search our Forum and most of all: donate 'something' to b-rad for his great efforts!!!
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

PreviousNext

Return to WDTV G2 & WDTV Live homebrew discussion