Beta firmwares available (0.5.2.1) - Beta testers needed!

General homebrew discussion area

Re: Beta firmwares available (0.5.2.1) - Beta testers needed   

Postby kroetkroet » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:08 am

Hello mad_ady,

I'm gonna fire up your beta firmware this afternoon, I hope my torrents will not break down :lol: Grabbed a USB keyboard on the way home especially for you :mrgreen:
WDLXTV-fan! - In case you need further assistance: read our WIKI, search our Forum and most of all: donate 'something' to b-rad for his great efforts!!!
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Postby kroetkroet » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:30 am

That was simple and easy :lol:

Hotplugging USB keyboard gave this in dmesg:

Code: Select all
usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using tangox-ohci-hcd and address 2
usb 2-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
hub 2-2:1.0: USB hub found
hub 2-2:1.0: 3 ports detected
usb 2-2.1: new full speed USB device using tangox-ohci-hcd and address 3
usb 2-2.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
input: Lite-On Technology USB Productivity Option Keyboard( has the hub in # 1 ) as /class/input/input0
input: USB HID v1.10 Keyboard [Lite-On Technology USB Productivity Option Keyboard( has the hub in # 1 )] on usb-TANGOX OHCI-2.1
input: Lite-On Technology USB Productivity Option Keyboard( has the hub in # 1 ) as /class/input/input1
input: USB HID v1.10 Device [Lite-On Technology USB Productivity Option Keyboard( has the hub in # 1 )] on usb-TANGOX OHCI-2.1

I'll upload a "dfb_0000.pgm" file for you to grab.

Only thing I seem to loose is my pptp.app.bin, but that might be my mistake? I saw in /tmp/www-tmp a pptp.php, was this mine or yours? :lol:
WDLXTV-fan! - In case you need further assistance: read our WIKI, search our Forum and most of all: donate 'something' to b-rad for his great efforts!!!
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Postby mad_ady » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:43 am

Wow, super! Thanks!

It lists my keyboard as well, but it doesn't seem to work. If you haven't reflashed, can you press printscreen a bunch of times and see if you get multiple files there or does one file get overwritten?
The pptp.php must be yours, not mine. Note, you are running the experimental wdtvext version which (according to reports) is likely to crash!
mad_ady
Developer

Postby kroetkroet » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:48 am

Ha, but I'm not using anything from the WDTVext section :lol: Might start to use it later on now all my movies have migrated to a NAS (and the seen-movie to mark files as seen is more important then).

I haven't reflashed yet, as rtorrent seems to start. Gonna launch a UBUNTU.ISO download to check if it really works.

I'll try to press ptrscrn couple of times, but for the moment, I see some dirty messages while rebooting:

/apps/pptp/bin/poff: No pppd is running.  None stopped.
shutdown: Saving config...
write to block file OK.

write to block file OK.

shutdown: Unmounting all overlayed OSD xml & images...
shutdown: Unmounting app.bins / osd.bin / opt.bin / custom images...
shutdown: /osd unmount [b]failed[/b]
losetup: /dev/loop2: Device or resource busy
shutdown: loopback [b]destruction failure[/b]: /dev/loop2: /tmp/mnt/4E1C04911C0475ED/pptp.app.bin
shutdown: umount usb based /tmp/media/usb/* & /tmp/media/usb/USB*/*
shutdown: umount /tmp/mnt/*
shutdown: /tmp/mnt/4E1C04911C0475ED unmount failed
shutdown: Unmounting all remaining attached devices...
shutdown: Flushing all disk writes...
shutdown: Stopping / spinning down all attached devices...
    /dev/sda:                             0.00
    /dev/sdb: SAMSUNG   HD500LJ
Rebooting now!
# Stopping dropbear SSH server:

Destruction Derby is from a litle while in the past :lol:

Edit: this seems to be of issue with the pptp.app.bin:
# /apps/pptp/bin/pon strong-vpn
/apps/pptp/bin/pppd: error while loading shared libraries: libpcap.so.0.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

As I indeed wasn't on a 0.5.x firmware, I remember I need devtools on the system too.

Edit2:

with devtools.app.bin, pptp.app.bin fired up like a rocket :lol:
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Postby mad_ady » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:13 am

Yes, libpcap is now part of devtools.

Regarding the messages - there's nothing dirty about them... looks pretty regular.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:16 am

Ok, I managed to apply my binary patching skills to libext.so and I need some brave beta testers to see if performance was improved in any way.

Here are two files:
libext_2instructions.so: https://mega.co.nz/#!BgZBxQoQ!si2ssRitEZLth3vCo81f4NX_oEkHVU33aY5VMLpA7Xg
libext_3instructions.so: https://mega.co.nz/#!E9wz2DIQ!PRDIhGKw9cX_ehXgxvGquorEdN7QXDMmXp9x52daAvs

Here's what changed:
I managed to identify and remove 216 function calls to the profiling function _mcount(). The calls to _mcount() were done at each function call because libext was compiled with profiling support. I replaced the call to mcount() with nop, so it will no longer enter those functions.

Now, why are there two variants? Because I'm not 100% sure which will work.
Here's the code I replaced:
#.text:0001BBE4 030                 addiu   $sp, -8          # Add Immediate Unsigned
#.text:0001BBE8 038                 la      $t9, _mcount     # Load Address
#.text:0001BBEC 038                 jalr    $t9 ; _mcount    # Jump And Link Register

The libext_2instructions.so replaced the last two instructions (load address and jump and link register). It will avoid calling the function, but it is possible that it will have a memory leak and eventually crash. I have no idea.
The libext_3instructions.so replaced the 3 instructions above. The first instruction allocates 8 bytes on the stack (possibly used by _mcount()), and this space is not deallocated explicitly anywhere in the disassembled code (maybe mcount() deallocates or uses it internally). More technical details under this thread: http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=9033&start=10#p72356

What I want from you, my brave testers:
1. Use the 0.5.2.1 beta firmware, ext3 variant (for convenience) with WDTVEXT=ON
2. Run a "long duration" test as a baseline (e.g. navigate the OSD in a specific way, use wdtvext plugins (or not), play a video, play a different video, leave the box in idle mode for a while, etc). Try to record how long various actions take (e.g. menu navigation, etc).
3. Replace /wdtvext/libext.so with libext_2instructions.so (rename it to libext.so). Also, keep the original just in case.
4. Redo the tests you did in #2
5. Replace /wdtvext/libext.so with libext_3instructions.so (rename it to libext.so).
6. Redo the tests you did in #2
7. Return here and post your tests and test results (with as many details you can spare).

The changes I did should help out in terms of performance, but I'm not sure if they help stability in any way. Since the difference between the two files are about memory alocation, I am looking for a possible memory leak, so I would like to have tests running for as long as possible (hours, maybe days). Use the baseline test on the code without the changes as a mark - if you get lockups or reboots, try to reproduce the problem with one of the patched files.

Note, this is only one change in performance. There are other changes we can do, but I want to make sure these are stable for the moment.
Thanks!
Let me know if there are problems with testing.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby DJArty » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:23 pm

Sorry, anyway see freeze after around hour.. :roll:
Use my iptvv3 with TvProg inside, Volume control, Weather plugins.
Both libext variants.
May be need confirm from other users..
WD TV Live (1.02.21-WDLXTV-0.4.7.3);
Please Donate PayPal to email: djartyua ( a t ) gmail (d o t) com
WebMoney: WMZ114867333413; WMU219453404899; WMR161810775332
DJArty
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:44 pm

Thanks for testing - Did you notice any improvement in OSD navigation?

Do you have a serial cable? Can you post the last few pages of text before the unit freezes? It should output some crash data via serial cable. Otherwise I need to set up my testing environment to reproduce the issue...

I will start looking into removing the trace function calls.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby DJArty » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:03 pm

May be little fast..
Dont have serial cable.
WD TV Live (1.02.21-WDLXTV-0.4.7.3);
Please Donate PayPal to email: djartyua ( a t ) gmail (d o t) com
WebMoney: WMZ114867333413; WMU219453404899; WMR161810775332
DJArty
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Thanks for reporting.
I plan on releasing another version of libext.so today with more debugging removed.
mad_ady
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to WDTV G2 & WDTV Live homebrew discussion