Beta firmwares available (0.5.1.9) - Beta testers needed!

General homebrew discussion area

Beta firmwares available (0.5.1.9) - Beta testers needed!   

Postby mad_ady » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:50 am

The beta status of this firmware has ended and the links are no longer available. I am in the process of releasing a stable firmware. Because of the fact that nobody reported any success or attempts with the Plus firmware, its release will be delayed until I get a volunteer.

Hello all,

After a long absence (2+ years) I am happy to report that new firmwares are on the way. Currently I got back on track and learned how to build flashable firmwares (thanks b-rad!), so I intend to keep development going again. But, for this I need your help. I need beta testers to try out the builds below (mostly because I don't have much time on my hands).

Changelog (compared to 0.5.1.4)
0.5.1.9 -
* Update bash to 4.3.27 to fix the Shellshock (CVE-2014-6271) exploit (mad_ady)
* Add support for bi2/sigmblocki storage for all firmware types (1.02, 1.05-live) (mad_ady)
* Fixed 'Stuck at 0%' bug while flashing (mad_ady)
* Added WEBEND_NO_AUTH option to allow unauthorized access from specific IP addresses (useful for some Android remotes) (mad_ady)
* Fixed /etc/ld.so.conf and /etc/fstab from growing on each reboot on ext3 firmwares (mad_ady)
* fixed greedy sed in umsp-plugman-web del (recliq)
* Added deep sleep option to use /proc/tangoxfreq/standby if it exists before trying /proc/led. Should work on systems where /proc/led doesn't work and the kernel supports it (mad_ady)
* Added DMAOSD shutdown code with memory deallocation - thanks to a post from zltnngy (mad_ady)
* UMSP Patch for album art & description (mad_ady)
* UMSP v0.2 2012-04-10 (mad_ady)
- Added hardware-independent code to make it more portable (hardware-dependent.php)
- Added changes made by UMSPX (better support) (funcs-utility.php)
- Made changes to make it conform better to the UPnP specs (works with XBMC)
- Added support for LAN broadcasts (UMSP_LAN='ON')
- Exports on-screen metadata to /tmp/umsp-current-didl.xml for integration with other backends (e.g. wdtvext).
* Converted links from javascript to a href, added object checks, added support for umsp://local and file:// (recliq)
* fixed umsp-plugman-web repoinfo <plugin> <repo> (recliq)
* added pdo_sqlite for php5 (recliq)
* added uniq statement preventing multiple mount attempts on same location (recliq)
* fixed S01ipup not exiting when ip already aquired (recliq)

Most of the changes will not have a huge impact on users, but if there are problems I expect the following possible issues:
1. The webend won't start because the bi2 file wasn't flashed (I want to know about it)
2. Some UMSP plugins will fail to play/show content - this is because the plugin author needs to make some changes documented here: http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/UMSP_plugin_development#Plugins_that_work_with_UMSP_LAN_feature

Some of the goodies you can get with this firmware:
UMSP Album art via WDTVExt: http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7655
UMSP LAN: http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=6876

Now, I have tested the live releases and they flash and should work just fine (I haven't tested the plus version due to lack of hardware). I would recommend that only brave/skilled users try the beta first and report back. A skilled user is somebody who isn't afraid of using the shell, and you get bonus points if you have a serial cable handy :). Please leave feedback on this thread in case you encounter problems leaving as much details as possible (firmware version, device, use case, etc).

Known issues:
1. Some UMSP plugins don't work currently
2. Sometimes I get a kernel panic on UMSP stop (on reboot). I added a watchdog to force reboot after 20s, but I'm still investigating it (if I can catch it via console).

Future plans:
- short term: if this beta is ok, I will release a stable version (hopefuly the forum admins can create a sticky post for it in the apropriate section and brand it as an official firmware)
- medium term: I want to port the beta wdtvext implementation for the 1.05-live firmware
- long term: I want to start porting wdtvext to 1.06 base.

Download links (note, this is just a beta. Links will be gone once this makes it into an official firmware):
https://mega.co.nz/#F!89h0SBBY!fgNmq_LyiieQ-S8VIDGoRw
MD5 sums:
Code: Select all
9099c2c976fcf894dd2fcb86302f56a0  1.02.21_V.EXT3-BOOT_LIVE-0.5.1.9.zip
c49bf5b84efa0bca8f43e9f15e386c36  1.02.21_V.WDLXTV_LIVE-0.5.1.9.zip
740c277a3a9709d5e56d18bc6e43dbe9  1.05.04_B.EXT3-BOOT_PLUS-0.5.1.9.zip
da96c5560d09e51ede2397e551eaf50b  1.05.04_B.WDLXTV_PLUS-0.5.1.9.zip
531be3c74a8f69337e7c2581fbab491a  1.05.04_V.EXT3-BOOT_LIVE-0.5.1.9.zip
47fa59ed3f54d2ba3c98fa7ac130f8a8  1.05.04_V.WDLXTV_LIVE-0.5.1.9.zip
Last edited by mad_ady on Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Made mad_ady Sticky ;-)
mad_ady
Developer

Re: Beta firmwares available (0.5.1.9) - Beta testers needed   

Postby DJArty » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:53 am

Good news!
WDTVExt work stable or not? )
(Before on 1.05.04-0.5.1.x its looking buggy)
And please fix the link for better view.
WD TV Live (1.02.21-WDLXTV-0.4.7.3);
Please Donate PayPal to email: djartyua ( a t ) gmail (d o t) com
WebMoney: WMZ114867333413; WMU219453404899; WMR161810775332
DJArty
Developer

Postby KAD » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:29 pm

@mad_ady, this is good news, congrats :)

re - WDTVEXT
I think it's stable, only problem I noticed was it's slow, this is due to pibos custom debugging code, which can't be turned off
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby mad_ady » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:21 pm

I fixed the link and also added md5sums for the uploaded files.

Regarding wdtvext for 1.05 - it will be the same thing pibos left us in 1.05. There are problems with it (mostly performance, but I also get some DMAOSD crashes when navigating Network Shares for instance), but IMHO it's better than nothing. I doubt we can turn off debugging, but maybe we can pipe it to /dev/null... I plan on trying to contact pibos again when we have a working 1.06 firmware to see if we can lure him back in. Maybe porting wdtvext to 1.06 from 1.05 won't be too difficult for him.

@DJArty: regarding UMSP - I think this release breaks your plugins (we've discussed this a while back). I don't know how to fix the issue from the UMSP side while keeping the requirement to have all the XML properly encoded (for the UMSP_LAN feature), but since you needed to pass URLs as arguments, I can suggest that you try to encode the target URL in base64 - that way it will not be mangled by the UMSP code... It's just a suggestion. If you want, we can pick up the discussion on the UMSP_LAN thread.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby KAD » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:35 am

I did not try out any of the features

but pulled my old live
test flashed both flashable firmwares for the live

and both went without a hitch, bi2 obviously flashed correctly, as webend was available under both firmwares
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby mad_ady » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:15 pm

Thanks for the report!

It seems that the lack of reports on this topic can only mean one of two things:
1. Nobody else tried it/is following this topic
2. There are no problems and no news is good news...

:D
mad_ady
Developer

Postby kroetkroet » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:31 pm

Apart from making your topic sticky, I didn't have time to play around, will do later this week, now messing around with my latest additions (bought 2 WD MyCloud 4TB during an Autumn Sale, got like 55% discount - the NAS was even cheaper than the WD Reds apart). So I'm now testing these things till they die, then I can move the disks into my Synology :lol:

In any way: well done mad_ady! :D
WDLXTV-fan! - In case you need further assistance: read our WIKI, search our Forum and most of all: donate 'something' to b-rad for his great efforts!!!
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Postby mad_ady » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:07 am

:)

Hmm, you have forum rights, right? Can you create new topics under Firmware releases? http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewforum.php?f=10
Can you give me such rigths? :P
mad_ady
Developer

Postby jomjom79 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:39 am

Personally ive migrated to the SMP (the fast Grid theme and especially the DIAL support is a must for me)

Though im still keeping my Live so i will try out this firmware once work decides to give me some spare time. I was actually quite suprised about this release as i thought it was more or less dead now. Good work and i hope you will keep on adding features to it.

Jomjom79
jomjom79
DLX'er

Postby KAD » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:01 pm

mad_ady wrote::)

Hmm, you have forum rights, right? Can you create new topics under Firmware releases? http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewforum.php?f=10
Can you give me such rigths? :P

ok, I tried to move it to firmware releases, I don't think that's exactly what we want at this point
if I move the post to firmware releases, it becomes a locked topic, and nobody can leave feedback

but the good news, I now have a shadow topic in place under firmware releases, so maybe that still get some more testers
and here under general they are able to leave comments
KAD
Global Moderator

Next

Return to WDTV G2 & WDTV Live homebrew discussion