Latin America Netflix issue, is there a possible fix?

General homebrew discussion area

Re: Netflix issue, is there a possible fix?   

Postby ricardocr » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:25 pm

Hello b-rad.cc

I tried that root.bin with some success, now I am able to log in into netflix, but when I choose a movie it try to load and in the middle of the process it shows a message saying that there is a problem with the movie and said to try later

That means that I won't be able to use thise device on my country?
Is there anything else to try?
I used the usb boot

Thanks in advance!

b-rad.cc wrote:The latin american plus fw is 1.06.18_L, the latest 'normal' plus is 1.06.16_B. Most likely you need the 18. The LAM(e) firmware also makes different files in the config dir, so communicates differently with Netflix servers. I test drove the LAM(e) firwmare and had no problem watching Netflix here stateside with it, of course once I went back to my plus firmware Netflix refused to work and so began my multi week adventure on getting the damn thing activated again.

Here is a root.bin you can run, it is pure stock, and no I won't be making a special Latin American WDLXTV_PLUS--unless theres serious interest in it as I won't maintain a firmware which is not for me and serves no purpose except to eat up more of my time.

http://ul.to/mb3t5l58

To run this from WDLXTV, telnet/ssh in and run the following:
Code: Select all
config_tool -c ROOT_TAG=1.06.18_L

follow the guidelines on USB booting if it doesn't work for you:
http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/USB_Boot
ricardocr
WDTVer

Re: Latin America Netflix issue, is there a possible fix?   

Postby b-rad.cc » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:49 pm

if you flashed the fff from 0.5.0.0 then Netflix is impossible to activate & watch. You need to follow the exact steps listed in the 'riot' thread, to have any chance of it working.
PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
:mrgreen:
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby ricardocr » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:23 pm

I will do that right now, but since I am in Latin America I have to use the 1.06.18_L version instead in the downgrade?
or I need to follow the exact steps and when I have the 0.5.0.0 version I have to reboot with the root.bin version the you send me?

Thanks in advance!

b-rad.cc wrote:if you flashed the fff from 0.5.0.0 then Netflix is impossible to activate & watch. You need to follow the exact steps listed in the 'riot' thread, to have any chance of it working.
ricardocr
WDTVer

Postby b-rad.cc » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:21 pm

when i say exact steps i mean exact steps, and theres no flashing a root.bin anyways.
PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby ricardocr » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:57 pm

The thing is that it is impossible to follow the same steps, I did all but I can do the one where before the upgrade to 0.5.0.0 I have to get netflix to work, I still got the error that says that I can use it outside the us, I did try to login anyway, but I do not even get to the menu where I can choose the movies.., I upgraded to 0.5.0.0 and the issue persisted, then I tried with the root.bin again, in that case I can access the menu for the movies an select them, but when they are trying to load they crash...
I haven't tried to install the official 18_L firmware, that would be safe?....

Thanks

b-rad.cc wrote:when i say exact steps i mean exact steps, and theres no flashing a root.bin anyways.
ricardocr
WDTVer

Postby b-rad.cc » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:01 pm

Hell no it would not be remotely safe to install a firmware meant for another device onto your 'normal' plus. Try it if you want, just don't come to me when you have no working device anymore.
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby ricardocr » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:05 pm

Ok, that is why I asked before I do it, well I guess my only chance is to setup a vpn to have an US ip,
Just an idea, I am able to watch netflix content on my pc, is there any way to stream that to the wdtv?

b-rad.cc wrote:Hell no it would not be remotely safe to install a firmware meant for another device onto your 'normal' plus. Try it if you want, just don't come to me when you have no working device anymore.
ricardocr
WDTVer

Postby b-rad.cc » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:09 pm

i have absolutely no idea what you can or can't do with Netflix on a computer because they don't support Linux and I won't touch windows with a 50' pole remote controlled by a robot on another planet.

Theres a chance if you activate your Netflix via VPN you can then boot into the latin american root.bin and it will still work. Like I said, my pre-activated netflix worked just fine in that root.bin. It was just once I went back to WDLXTV-Plus that it failed.
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby ricardocr » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:15 pm

Thanks
Out of curiosity, when you said that it fails what was the error?
At the login screen or when you selected a movie?
I will try the vpn stuff tomorrow, and let you know of the outcome, thanks again for your help

b-rad.cc wrote:i have absolutely no idea what you can or can't do with Netflix on a computer because they don't support Linux and I won't touch windows with a 50' pole remote controlled by a robot on another planet.

Theres a chance if you activate your Netflix via VPN you can then boot into the latin american root.bin and it will still work. Like I said, my pre-activated netflix worked just fine in that root.bin. It was just once I went back to WDLXTV-Plus that it failed.
ricardocr
WDTVer

Postby sfrooze » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:13 pm

ricardocr please keep us informed, are so many people with same stupid problem. now i'm stuck with the problem with the msg "this device cannot be activated".
thanks for any help.
sfrooze
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to WDTV G2 & WDTV Live homebrew discussion