Latin America Netflix issue, is there a possible fix?

General homebrew discussion area

Latin America Netflix issue, is there a possible fix?   

Postby ricardocr » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:38 am

Hello all
this week netflix service started to work in Costa Rica, I have a nice wdtv with 0.5.0.0 which says something like this when I try to log into my netflix account:
"For countries outside the US you need to get a newer device" 107

Well I know that something similar happened with canada, and that my device is suppose to be sold in US only but what i do not really understand is the real cause of this, over here we use the same standards than in the USA, I use other similar services and they work fine....
Why are the #$%# uys from WD telling me to buy a new device?
Is there a way to solve this? maybe there is an "If" saying "if the ip is not from the us, show an error"...

Somebody please help me :)

Thanks in advance
ricardocr
WDTVer

Re: Netflix issue, is there a possible fix?   

Postby RavRob » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:38 am

Check this out, it may apply to you as well
http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5202
Windows 10
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
Kodi - The Future of Television
RavRob
Supporter

Postby ricardocr » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:41 am

I think it is a different issue, in the case of b-rad.cc post the issue is netflix not able to log in, but the error message is different

RavRob wrote:Check this out, it may apply to you as well
http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5202
ricardocr
WDTVer

Postby KAD » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:48 am

my guess is that WD has to add support for Costa Rica, they had the same type of problems with Netflix Canada, even though the device supports netflix, WD had to specifically add support in a firmware update for it to work in Canada

I'd post something on the WD boards, or call email a tech request to them to add the support

KAD
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby ricardocr » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:55 am

Hi KAD, thanks
I already posted on WD and also send a tech support inquiry,
Could you please give me a little light on this? I am almost sure that if I use a VPN I could be able to access netflix US, so, are we sure this is an issue of the WDTV or Netflix?
I tried to get some asnwers from netflix, but they do not have any mail support...

Thanks
ricardocr
WDTVer

Postby KAD » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:03 pm

well, I'm in the US and have a live, so no netflix, but what you describe sounds exactly what happened in Canada last time, my thought is that WD needs to add support, as for a VPN, in theory is could work, I'm not a good person to advise on how to set that up, but in theory it should work

KAD
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby RMerlin » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:03 pm

Latin America need to buy a different device unfortunately, for some weird reason. They have two new devices Live Plus models to cover the latin america regions.
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
If you like my work, please consider donating.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby b-rad.cc » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:05 pm

The latin american plus fw is 1.06.18_L, the latest 'normal' plus is 1.06.16_B. Most likely you need the 18. The LAM(e) firmware also makes different files in the config dir, so communicates differently with Netflix servers. I test drove the LAM(e) firwmare and had no problem watching Netflix here stateside with it, of course once I went back to my plus firmware Netflix refused to work and so began my multi week adventure on getting the damn thing activated again.

Here is a root.bin you can run, it is pure stock, and no I won't be making a special Latin American WDLXTV_PLUS--unless theres serious interest in it as I won't maintain a firmware which is not for me and serves no purpose except to eat up more of my time.

http://ul.to/mb3t5l58

To run this from WDLXTV, telnet/ssh in and run the following:
Code: Select all
config_tool -c ROOT_TAG=1.06.18_L

follow the guidelines on USB booting if it doesn't work for you:
http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/USB_Boot
PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
:mrgreen:
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby ricardocr » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:12 pm

Thanks!
That means that I would lose all that great stuff that you added, well I could try it and then get back to your version, when I want the other stuff right? kind of messy but i do not have many options, Netflix was released in latin america a week ago so there would be a lot of people with a healthy interest in it, I do not want to offend,but would you be interested in work with it a little bit if there is a monetary compensation or support for your projects?

Thanks!

b-rad.cc wrote:The latin american plus fw is 1.06.18_L, the latest 'normal' plus is 1.06.16_B. Most likely you need the 18. The LAM(e) firmware also makes different files in the config dir, so communicates differently with Netflix servers. I test drove the LAM(e) firwmare and had no problem watching Netflix here stateside with it, of course once I went back to my plus firmware Netflix refused to work and so began my multi week adventure on getting the damn thing activated again.

Here is a root.bin you can run, it is pure stock, and no I won't be making a special Latin American WDLXTV_PLUS--unless theres serious interest in it as I won't maintain a firmware which is not for me and serves no purpose except to eat up more of my time.

http://ul.to/mb3t5l58

To run this from WDLXTV, telnet/ssh in and run the following:
Code: Select all
config_tool -c ROOT_TAG=1.06.18_L

follow the guidelines on USB booting if it doesn't work for you:
http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/USB_Boot
ricardocr
WDTVer

Re: Latin America Netflix issue, is there a possible fix?   

Postby carlosapv » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:23 pm

if possible send again the link i live in panama and the netflix show error but i have buy the wd in usa, i want watch netflix in this.
carlosapv
n00b

Next

Return to WDTV G2 & WDTV Live homebrew discussion