[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4326: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4328: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4329: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4330: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
IT'S TIME TO RIOT! (ahem...maybe not yet)

General homebrew discussion area

Postby b-rad.cc » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:03 pm

PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
:mrgreen:
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Re: IT'S TIME TO RIOT!   

Postby blachanc » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:08 am

Last edited by blachanc on Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
blachanc
Patron

Postby superbigjay » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:23 am

Hello b-rad.cc,

sorry for your lost...

I have a brand new "wdtv live plus" on its way to my place.

If I understand correctly, those keys are flashed (destroyed) when you connect to the netflix server and the server detect that the wdtv is using a homebrew firmware?

If I want to backup the activation keys and be really safe, do I need to disable the internet connection until I do the backup?

example:
- I receive the new wdlxtv
- :?: I disconnect/disable the internet (just to make sure some automated web updates from wdtv doesn't screw up the keys)
- I connect the wdtv to the LAN (which has no acces to internet)
- I flash the device with wdlxtv firmware
- I backup the keys (/conf folder) via the webend.
- Then I can re-enable the internet connection.

Or are the keys safe if I don't the device to my netflix account ??

Jay
WDTV-LIVE-PLUS : WDLXTV-PLUS ver 0.5.1.1 (FW Base 1.05.04)
WDTV-LIVE : WDLXTV-LIVE ver 0.5.1.1 (FW Base 1.05.04)
... and also a PBO : MEDE8ER 1026
superbigjay
OCDLXer

Postby RMerlin » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:14 am

Avoid flashing WDLXTV 0.5.0.0 at all on a Plus device for now. I haven't spoken with b-rad about the details of this latest bullshit from WD, but if their sabotage works the way it does on the Hub, the GPL kernel would wipe the permanent keys that are stored on the chip itself, not just stuff in /conf.

This kind of behaviour by WD is simply unacceptable. People should loudly voice their opinion about it. Make it known that WD will sabotage your device beyond repair (once wiped, those keys can not be restored at all!) because you install software... that THEY provide on their own site! The GPL kernel that triggers this isn't something the WDLXTV team has developed - it's taken straight out of the GPL archive that WD distributes.

Just disabling Netflix when running a GPL kernel would have been bad enough already, but still perfectly legal. Making sure your device NEVER runs Netflix again - I have a strong suspicion that this is illegal in more than a few countries.

Someone should remind WD of Sony's story. For years, the PS3 remained untouched by the homebrew community, looking VERY secure. Then one day, Sony decides to take out the Other OS feature out of the firmware, all in the name of "security". Their customers were roaring, since they couldn't even downgrade the firmware to get it back. Hackers became focused and determined. And suddenly, all this new-found focus allowed them to crack the PS3 software wide open within only a few months. Homebrew became possible. And Sony suddenly felt the pain of having to play a cat-and-mouse game with them, as they kept finding new security holes to allow them running Homebrew on their PS3.

The bottom line of this story is: respect your paying customers, and they will respect you back. Start pissing them off, and some of them will become very determined in fighting back. As b-rad pointed out, the Netflix encryption/keys were NEVER compromised so far through WDLXTV. Now that WD is starting to pull a Sony on us, I wouldn't be surprised if it drove some people to actually TRY to crack it open, if only to be able once again to run Homebrew + have working Netflix. WD might have opened a can of worms on their own asses right there.

In the meantime... If your device was sabotaged, follow b-rad's advice in getting it replaced by WD. Don't mention WDLXTV - just flash back the WD original firmware, and complain that your device no longer works properly with Netflix.

If your Plus device is still working fine... Stick with 0.4.7.3 for now.

If you have a Live... It's still business as usual - nothing's changed for you.

And make sure that the news spread that Western Digital (and Alpha Network, the Taiwanese who actually design and program the WDTVs for WD) aren't just trying to prevent homebrew: they are willingly sabotaging devices so if you ever run *any* homebrew or even their OWN GPL version, then they will irremediably sabotage the device you paid for all in the name of paranoid "security".

And in closing, I have a feeling that the WDTV Palace (the code name of the next WDTV) will be even worse security-wise. (and before someone jumps at me... No, I'm not under NDA, nor did I break any - the Palace reference is right there in WD's GPL archive. I knew about it before they even started having betatesters signing NDAs for them.) Whenever that device comes out, unless WD reverse course on their new stance on homebrew, please boycott it
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
If you like my work, please consider .
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby jackie999 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:02 am

I did back up my /conf - I can still access netflix - but from what I read here, in order to continue using netflix (which was the only reason I paid extra for the *plus*) are you saying I should go back to factory firmware? So it's a choice between moviesheets or netflix...or boxee...?
jackie999
Donor

Postby b-rad.cc » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:21 am

PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby rgalka » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:55 am

So it I don't care about NetFlix... I can just carryon as usual?
bob
rgalka
Donor

Postby b-rad.cc » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:11 am

Affirmative and for those folk I will be separately supplying the 3TB fff, with a giant warning sign stating the danger.

However, I still suggest complaining to WD about this blatant destruction of private property.
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby rgalka » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:58 am

rgalka
Donor

Postby b-rad.cc » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:01 am

b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Next

Return to WDTV G2 & WDTV Live homebrew discussion