0.5.0.0 release date

General homebrew discussion area

0.5.0.0 release date   

Postby b-rad.cc » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:12 am

Hey guys. 0.5.0.0 was due to be released 3 weeks ago, but hours before I was to flip the switch one of my online update guinea pigs ended up getting bricked. Seeing as how I hold stability in the highest regard, the release was immediately suspended until it could be figured out exactly what went wrong. The user was finally able to obtain a serial cable and I was able to guide them back to eventual safety...In the end it turned out that this bricking had zero to do with WDLXTV and instead was caused by the user themselves. Theres an important lesson to be learned here because of this:

DON'T MANUALLY EDIT /CONF/CONFIG!!!

The user wanted to comment out one value, and in doing that bricked themself by inserting an invalid character.

Since I saw the one weakness in my code, last weekend I decided I would put myself into the same bricked state to ensure I would prevent this in the future. Well something went miserably wrong in my unbricking and I irrecoverably bricked my own plus. I went out and bought a new one a couple days ago, but I've been absolutely sacked with other work, so haven't had a chance to finish my last bit of testing. That will get taken care off this weekend however, and 0.5.0.0 will be released!

I'm sorry about the delay, but I can assure you that I don't want to be the cause of (possible) thousands of devices brickings infinitely more than you don't want to brick your one single device by bad luck.

This project has so far not been the sole reason for bricking *anyone* over the last 2+ years and I intend to keep it that way. Even if that means delaying a release for time to ensure all of your safety.

:ugeek:

*** LOOK HERE ***
PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
:mrgreen:
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Re: 0.5.0.0 release date   

Postby blachanc » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:56 am

B-Rad,
out of curiosity,
if you had the $1000.00 JTAG cable (& dev. kit),
do you believe you would be able to un-brick your box ?

-Ben

PS; thx for the work (this WDLXTV project is probably more demanding than a mistress or two :-) )
blachanc
Patron

Postby b-rad.cc » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:27 am

Using a jtag with a commercial device would be very tricky. There isn't a jtag socket, so it would require me figuring out which spots on the pcb to connect probes to...then figuring out what to actually do, considering there is zero information on this out there really. I have some minimal documentation on sigma jtag, but it is so minimal as to be of little help in doing anything 'real'. In all if I had the jtag I could possibly spend months trying to figure out anything. It would be fun as all to actually have a sigma jtag, but I feel that it could take me an eternity to get anywhere without an additional $50k in sigma dox to help me.

What I need, and I've priced out, is a surface mount station. I found one that is very nice for ~$400. With that I could replace the surface mounted chips and fix any nand related issues, no matter what they are. I've whipped up a tool to hack nand live on the pcb, but its a bit dangerous as it leads to voltage leak on other components output pins--and that is a fairly big no no in the IC world when theres no Vin. So I just haven't gotten around to attempting an unbricking that way. I'm hesitant to spend $400 of my own cash on a SMS, because well...Its definitely not in my budget plus i don't really have need for one, except to unbrick wdtv's, irregardless of how much I like new toys :lol: I do have 3 bricked wdtv's though, from my adventures the last few months, that I could fix pdq if I did have one.
PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby PaulF » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:22 pm

JTAG has a few mandatory instructions that mainly do boundary scan where you can read and write to chip pins. All other instructions are custom and mostly secret. I was the JTAG designer on a couple of Intel cpus and there were some things even I could never see(unlock codes for instance). I think maybe the cpu cores have public instructions, though. Is the /conf directory in an external flash? If so what is the flash chip part number?
PaulF
Developer

Postby b-rad.cc » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:41 am

Heres a little somethin somethin:
WDLXTV-Live/Plus-0.5.0.0
note: ext3-boot releases are for test driving & playing around with, they do not flash

Note this is not a full fledged 'officially' announced release, because the 1.02.21 & 1.05.04_B online updates have some small issue...there will be another release in the coming days as soon as I can sort that...but I want this release out the door anyways.

NOTES:
- if you are a WDLXTV-Plus user you must include the wdtvlive2.bi2 file when you flash
- if you are a 1.02.21 WDLXTV-Live user you must ssh/telnet in and do whats described here to get the osd Plugins menu to work correctly.

Code: Select all
0.5.0.0 - 2011-08-20
  * 1.05.04 based WDLXTV-Live & WDLXTV-Plus available
  * 1.05.04 versions rebuilt & redesigned from scratch (b-rad)
  * script consolidation & memory footprint reduction (b-rad)
  * new blocki compatibility (b-rad)
  *** saves 17MB memory on WDLXTV-Plus!
  * 1.06.15_V fff & 1.06.16_B_G fff used
  *** mandatory fff flash for 3TB support!
  * Webend Add-Ons (plugins & app.bins) Manager (RMerlin)
  * swap file support (b-rad)
  * app & plugin manager download scripts (recliq)
  * svn removed for space (download devtools.app.bin) (b-rad)
  * lots of WEC tweaks, additional settings, and bug fixes (RMerlin)
  * Most UMSP plugins moved to online repository for easy updating
  * MediaMark fixes (recliq) (1.02.21 only)
  * linksheets, cifs-interceptor, wdlxtv-db fixes (b-rad/recliq)
  * ntfs-3g updated to 2011.04.12 (RMerlin)
  * NTP fix (b-rad)
  * loopback management up to 32 devices (b-rad)
  * mt-daapd fixes (b-rad & RMerlin)
  * update nano to v2.2.6 (RMerlin)
  * rebuilt Samba 3.5.6 additional patches (RMerlin)
  * YouTubeHD playlist fix (RMerlin)
  * rutorrent updated to 3.2 (b-rad)
  * rtorrent config fairly 'vanilla' (delete old /conf/rtorrent.rc!!!) (b-rad)
  * rutorrent plugins handle post processing now (move/complete/ratio/watch) (b-rad)
  * nzbget fixes (b-rad)
  * more script verbage (b-rad)
  * visual web daemon start & stop (b-rad)
  * mount helpers enabled (b-rad)
  * smbtree argument fix (b-rad)
  * xmount & net.mounts 'space in name' fixes (b-rad)
  * autoclose permanently disabled (b-rad)
  * power.monitor fixes (b-rad)
  * various xml fixes (flickr, youtube, others) (b-rad)
  * NETBOOT nfs booting (b-rad)
  * NETAPP cifs/nfs app.bin/osd.bin support (b-rad)
  * fuse & squashfs modules added (b-rad)
  * cd-manager optimizations (b-rad)
  * better retail dvd support (b-rad)
  * add ability to disable more stock system services (b-rad)
  * better brick protection in /init (b-rad)
  * Paragon UFSD driver updated to 8.5 (RMerlin)
  * shell history increased to 256 (b-rad)
  * probably lots more (600+ commits worth of changes!)
  * Issue:
  *** 1.05.04 dmaosd requests up to 65 search/related/etc results from
  **** YouTube at a time. If you have youtubeHD enabled, you might
  **** notice sluggishness with rapid fire YouTubage
  *** if you enable EIRI buttons down, right, & up buttons don't work
  * For base firmware differences see:
  *** http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Difference_between_BaseFW

WARNING WDLXTV-PLUS USERS
Western Digital has now employed the same key deletion tactic on the WDTV Live Plus that they do on the Hub. This means if you flash the fff in this release you lose the ability to regenerate netflix keys and can NEVER get them back!!! This should be ILLEGAL.

Please try and keep comments & feedback in this thread here for now. I'll be making an announcement with the final release in the coming days...but like I said, the only things to be fixed at the moment is:
- the online updates
- reloader / osd plugins
- mm graphic

Cheers & Enjoy :mrgreen:
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby Vipeout » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:05 pm

Thank you man!
Vipeout
n00b

Postby jizzajam » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:14 pm

it appears to have bricked my live plus, it hung on the updating firmware screen at 0% for an hour, so i yanked the plug and now it hangs at the wdtv screen

i have a max232 dip sitting here, once i get some tty access i'll post some details
jizzajam
Donor

Postby onneeye » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:16 pm

I think I found a bug in the USB power off. When I turn off the live+ and the hard drive finally powers off completely. Turn it back on the, the live will not recongise the hard drive. Plugged the hard drive in my pc, the computer states hard drive not properly eject, does auto fix. Plug it back into the live+, plays fine until I power off the live and wait for the hard to power off and power it back on. Does the same thing.
onneeye
n00b

Postby RMerlin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:29 pm

jizzajam wrote:it appears to have bricked my live plus, it hung on the updating firmware screen at 0% for an hour, so i yanked the plug and now it hangs at the wdtv screen

i have a max232 dip sitting here, once i get some tty access i'll post some details

When stuck at 0%, all you have to do is pull the USB drive, wait 2-3 secs, and plug it back in. Flashing should then begin.
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
If you like my work, please consider donating.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby chrrh » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:10 am

Everything is running fast and smooth here with 0.5.0.0 (WDLXTV-LIVE)

the 1.5.x.x Firmware runs fine all my DVD-Menus over SMB. (The regular VOBs played fine with every FW I tried)

Thank you very much. Best Release I tried so far.

Regards,
chrrh...

PS: No problems with the upgrade process on my side. Everything works like a charm.
chrrh
n00b

Next

Return to WDTV G2 & WDTV Live homebrew discussion