WDTV MediaPlayers Remote (Android)

General homebrew discussion area

Re: WDTV MediaPlayers Remote (Android)   

Postby juliojs » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:21 pm

Angel_de wrote:Any progress on choosing files to play - or even tunein radio-streams via the app ?

Still working on it... :?

But the good news is that the new version with a lot of new features is around the corner... :D

Stay tuned! ;)
Image Android app-> WDTV MediaPlayers Remote
WDTV blog (Spanish)-> wdtv-osdmod.blogspot.com
juliojs
OSD Themer

Postby badbolle » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:47 am

how is the progress for this great idea ????
badbolle
n00b

Postby juliojs » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:07 am

badbolle wrote:how is the progress for this great idea ????

The new version is coming soon.

And with 'soon' I mean that it's a matter of days... ;)
juliojs
OSD Themer

Postby badbolle » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:11 am

Great il be waiting.....
badbolle
n00b

Postby juliojs » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:59 am

New version of WDTV MediaPlayers Remote app is available in Android Market. This version is reworked from the ground up. It has new controls and new support for the WDTV Live Streaming and WDTV Live/Plus official firmware.

Code: Select all
0.5.0 (15-02-2012)
- Full new version, reworked from the ground up.
- New user interface with "Ice Cream Sandwich" style.
- Tablet support (Android 3.0+) and new landscape mode for all the devices.
- Improved compatiblity with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
- New uPnP controls: Seek bar, volume control, play mode, and status info.
- WDTV devices auto discovery and device manage.
- New supported devices: WDTV Live Streaming.
- New internet services control for WDTV Live Hub and WDTV Live Streaming.
- New more stable connection.
- Domain/hostname address support.
- Partial support for official firmware on WDTV Live and Live Plus (version 1.04.20+).
- Full keyboard support for WDTV Live Hub and Live Streaming. Still on beta for others.
- New voice input. (Requires Google speech recognition).
- Disconnect detection.
- Improved gesture panel.
- Added test mode.
- Added menu bar.
- Bugfixes.
- New step by step guide. Check Help menu.
- This version requires Android 2.1 or higher.

As yu can see on the screenshots, the user interface has been redesigned, it's adapted to work wih any Android 2.1+ device, smartphone or tablet.

The new landscape mode allows to control the app on this position, this is very useful for tablets with a version lower than Android 3.0 and also for smartphones because you can control any button with tho thumbs.

The new UI for tablets with Android 3.0+ allow to control the current media thanks to the time bar that is extended on the bottom.

This new control allow thanks to the uPnP protocol to jump to desred time on a video or song and also control the volume, playing mode and get information from the current media.

The new compatiblity with WDTV Live Hub and Live Streaming allows to access to the internet services from any menu.

And this is the new zero configuration feature, just connect the mediaplayer to the network and the app will make the rest. Also you can save the evice to a favorite list and edit the details.

The app is still FREE but if you want to get rid of the ads, get more space between buttons and help on the developlment just get the donate version. ;)

Hope you liked this new version.

RELEASE NOTES:
- The new controls requires Android 2.1+ to work, if you're user of an older Android device DO NOT upgrade to this version. You can get the previus version here here..
- As you can notice, some features like the brigthness control and lock mode are not available on this version, that's because it was causing errors on some devices and are not essential features. I'll try to implement them on this new version on the future.
- The new connection mode is made via WDlxTV web interface, TELNET is not used anymore. If you have problems connecting it, read this step by step guide.
- All your request are heard, I still have a huge TODO list. When I confirm this version is stable I'll start developing some requested features like file browser, sleep time, URL media, etc...

More than 100.000 downloads!! Thank you!!
juliojs
OSD Themer

Postby badbolle » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:37 pm

Looks great thanks for al you efford!!! but after updating i get an connexion error....
badbolle
n00b

Postby Hack » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:58 am

Got the donate version last night after using the previous version for a while.

A HUGE thank you for the time and effort that you put into making this. I sometimes had issues connection with the older version of the software but this new version seems to connect up without issue for me. I had a brief play about with it last night to check it was working well. I then started the youtube video part on the box and tried using the type keyboard function to enter something to search for, unfortunately it didnt work as expected (I checked that the initial highlighted key was on 'a' also). I'll repeat the search tonight when I get home from work and repost to say what happened with it (it did part of the keyboard entry correct but the first word was totally wrong..)

2 feature requests though to add to the list of things you are planning.
    1. Once the app is started and connected to the player can you add a notification icon to the top which would allow quick switching between the program and the android os? Could perhaps include the current status of what the player is doing in the notification pull down?
    2. a option to disable screen rotation for the program, sometimes the phone likes to rotate the remote when I didnt expect it (when I put it on the arm of the chair for example) so when I pick it up to pause I have to wait a second or so for it to go back to the portrait display

Looking forward to seeing what features you add to this already great software!
Hack
n00b

Postby juliojs » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:21 am

badbolle wrote:Looks great thanks for al you efford!!! but after updating i get an connexion error....

I'm receiving some complaints and bad ratings in Android Market with the same error.

Here is the answer for everyone with the same problem:

1- THE CONNECTION MODE HAS CHANGED. TELNET IS NOT USED ANYMORE.
2- WDTV GEN2 & WDTV GEN1 REQUIRES NEW FILES ON THE PENDRIVE, READ THE HELP.
3- THE WEB INTERFACE REMOTE MUST BE AVAILABLE OR THE APP WON'T WORK.
4- IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH NEW NEW VERSION READ THE HELP OR CONTACT ME.

I'm about to upload a new version providing this info when the connection is not reached. But I'm about 99% sure that it's a configuration problem.

Hack wrote:Got the donate version last night after using the previous version for a while.

A HUGE thank you for the time and effort that you put into making this. I sometimes had issues connection with the older version of the software but this new version seems to connect up without issue for me. I had a brief play about with it last night to check it was working well. I then started the youtube video part on the box and tried using the type keyboard function to enter something to search for, unfortunately it didnt work as expected (I checked that the initial highlighted key was on 'a' also). I'll repeat the search tonight when I get home from work and repost to say what happened with it (it did part of the keyboard entry correct but the first word was totally wrong..)

2 feature requests though to add to the list of things you are planning.
    1. Once the app is started and connected to the player can you add a notification icon to the top which would allow quick switching between the program and the android os? Could perhaps include the current status of what the player is doing in the notification pull down?
    2. a option to disable screen rotation for the program, sometimes the phone likes to rotate the remote when I didnt expect it (when I put it on the arm of the chair for example) so when I pick it up to pause I have to wait a second or so for it to go back to the portrait display

Looking forward to seeing what features you add to this already great software!

I saw your comment yesterday in Android Market. Thanks for your vote and the purchase! ;)

The keyboard on WDTV Live/Plus/Gen1/Gen2 is on BETA mode, that is because I can't send text directly to the mediaplayer I've to figure out where is the character and move the arrows... If you've low wifi signal the keyboard will fail writing the text. With a good signal it's about 90% of success... I'll include a warning notice about this on the next update.

1. The notification and widget is on the TODO list almost since the first version. :D
2. Added the rotation lock mode to the TODO list.

Thanks for your suggestions! ;)
juliojs
OSD Themer

Postby Pepeto » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:29 am

Hi juliojs

Great work!!!! Congratulations.

One question... wich library do you use? I'm an android developer and I'm making an app like yours...

I'm using the cling library.

Thanks!
Pepeto
n00b

Postby juliojs » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:49 am

Pepeto wrote:Hi juliojs

Great work!!!! Congratulations.

One question... wich library do you use? I'm an android developer and I'm making an app like yours...

I'm using the cling library.

Thanks!

Thank you!

Same here, Cling is the best uPnP library for Android. I tried before with CyberLink without any result... :(

If you find a workaround to make the play and pause commands work via upnp, let me know, because I think there is a bug on all WDTV that does not allow control if the media is selected with the remote instead from a upnp play command...

;)
juliojs
OSD Themer

PreviousNext

Return to WDTV G2 & WDTV Live homebrew discussion