WDLXTV_G2-0.4.3.2 - Freeze on MKV Files, no Sound for DTS

The place for WDLXTV-G2 bugs

WDLXTV_G2-0.4.3.2 - Freeze on MKV Files, no Sound for DTS   

Postby rufolate » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:56 am

HI B-rad

I had the 1.01.77 official version and upgraded to the FW above, it was because of a bug I had with one MKV file freezing (All my other MKV files worked fine), after this, now ALL of my other MKV files that worked before, no longer played. So I went ahead and tried 0.4.3.2 with the hope that this problem was fixed, but I had the same problem with that particular MKV file, only this time all the other files I tried before did not have any sound coming out (All of them were DTS).

I think I read somewhere that recent MKV files have a form of compression called “Header Removal”, that if an attempt is made to play such a file, it may render the WDTV unable to play ANY video files after that. The main symptom of this is the "Loading" indicator circle continuing to spin without the video ever starting.

But I`m no expert at this, so please can you fixed this freezing video bug or the DTS no sound issue which I think its more important

Regards and Thanks in advanced
rufolate
n00b

Re: WDLXTV_G2-0.4.3.2 - Freeze on MKV Files, no Sound for DT   

Postby Socram » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:08 pm

rufolate wrote:I think I read somewhere that recent MKV files have a form of compression called “Header Removal”, that if an attempt is made to play such a file, it may render the WDTV unable to play ANY video files after that. The main symptom of this is the "Loading" indicator circle continuing to spin without the video ever starting.

I had the exact same problem today with a MKV file. After trying to play it - which resulted in a black screen with the movie progress bar, just without any progress - no other video file could be played. You only see the indicator circle spinning and spinning and spinning...

Is this an 0.4.3.2/1 issue or will this happen to me with the previous version as well?
Socram
DLX'er

Postby rufolate » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:55 am

Doing a research I found that for this to get fixed, you have to

1) If you already got the problem that ALL of your video files are no longer playing, U have to do a system restore
RESET the unit by pressing the small button next to the power socket.
Unplug the unit and let it sit for 5-10 minutes before plugging back in.
Go to Settings and select Restore Factory Settings. After this, you’ll have to re-establish your desired configuration items.

2) Fix your MKV file taking out the Header Compression
The Matroska specification allows for a form of compression called “Header Removal,” that before recently was rarely encountered. The WDTV players do not yet support this form of compression.
Recent versions (Version 4.1.0, July 1, 2010 and later) of the popular MKVMerge tool (which is used to create many MKV files) turn this feature ON by default on audio and certain video tracks.
If you suspect that this is your issue (MEDIAINFO will report the Writing Library as MKVMERGE Version 4.1 or later) you can correct it by loading the file into MKVMERGE, then selecting the track(s). Click the Extra Settings Tab and set Compression to NONE. Re-mux the file. This turns OFF the Header Removal Compression and restores the file.

3) With the file now fixed and with no "Header Compression" you can play it on WDTV with no problem at all.

I hope this helps, but is it possible to not do all this work and just play it on WDLXTV 4.3.2??

Well, doing this will fix the video, and play with no problem at all, but I still have no DTS sound
Last edited by rufolate on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
rufolate
n00b

Postby b-rad.cc » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:57 am

i cannot for the ilfe of me figure out whats happened to hdmi audio & dts. Optical works fine for everything, but hdmi does not. This is exceptionally weird. non-DTS files are perfectly fine. I spent all day yesterday investigating to no avail :?
PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
:mrgreen:
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby rufolate » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:26 am

Hi B rad,
I thought you`ll never answer, but now that I know your are working on this problem I`m less worried. cause I know that you`ll find a way (You always do)... :)
Thank you for your work and Ill be looking forward for your fix in this little problem
Best Regards
rufolate
n00b

Return to Bugs