Custom Background

General WDLXTV-G2 forum

Re: Custom Background   

Postby Watcher » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:21 am

So if you don't set BACKGROUND_IMAGE if you are supplying a background image on an attached device then what do you have to have as a command to get it to load a custom .jpg that is in the root dir of an attached usb drive?

You would have the file 'S00custom-options' and your desired .jpg on the drive and a line like 'config_tool -c BACKGROUND_IMAGE=my_image.jpg' (this doesn't work by the way)?

It seem's a lot of ppl are having trouble getting the background image changed, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using '1.01.24_B-RAD.CC_WDLXTV_LIVE-0.4.1.9-6.zip' and everything else about it is fantastic, your doing a great job that is appreciated by a huge number of ppl.

Thanks
Watcher
n00b

Postby b-rad.cc » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:23 am

b-rad.cc wrote:you don't set BACKGROUND_IMAGE if you are supplying a background image on an attached device. BACKGROUND_IMAGE is for using images that are supplied inside the fw.

BUT...this is a bug with 0.4.1.9-6 dealing with the moviesheets implementation. It is currently broken like stated in the 5th post in this thread.

it is broken in 0.4.1.9-6. If you're running wdlxtv-live then upgrade to 0.4.2.0, otherwise you're out of luck.

And there is no custom command for villa_bg.jpg on attached device, its based on filename and is automagic.
PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
:mrgreen:
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby Watcher » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:07 am

Woops, I am using '1.02.21_B-RAD.CC_WDLXTV_LIVE-0.4.2.0.zip' and trying to still work out how to chang the background to the image of my choice. I did this (code below) and managed to change it to 'eM82_bg.jpg'

## change background image between 3 stock options
##
## original background:
#config_tool -c BACKGROUND_IMAGE=original_bg.jpg
## eM82's backdrop background:
config_tool -c BACKGROUND_IMAGE=eM82_bg.jpg
## wood panel (default) background:
#config_tool -c BACKGROUND_IMAGE=villa_bg.jpg
## some random location (absolute)
#config_tool -c BACKGROUND_IMAGE=dispersion.jpg

This was accomplished by having only the file 'S00custom-options' with the modified line above in it on a usb key and power cycling the unit. I prefer this background to the default wood one. As can be seen from the comment'd out last line I have been experimenting but that didn't work (dispersion.jpg was in the root dir on the usb key also, but no go).

So I tried this and it actually worked!
Resize the image that I wanted to use to 1280x720 and reduced quality until file size was about 80k. (no visible loss when loaded on TV)
Rename image to 'villa_bg.jpg'
Copy this image file to an empty usb key drive
Plug the usb key into WDTV Live and unplug the power cable to the WDTV Live, wait 20 seconds
Plug power back in and when it booted up I had my new background of choice.

Decided that I didn't like that image after all and modified 'S00custom-options' again as above, deleted 'villa_bg.jpg' from usb key, and power cycled unit (now using 'eM82_bg.jpg'). There was a folder on the usb key called '.wd_tv' that I think I had to delete in between background changes (it got a bit messy for a while there, I think the first reboot it went back to the default wood background then changed on second reboot). Not sure what this folder and it's contents do though, still the goal was achieved.

So basically you have to change the name of the file that you want to use to 'villa_bg.jpg' for it to change rather that keeping it's original name. Simple.

Hope this info helps someone.

Thanks again b-rad.cc.
Watcher
n00b

Postby krispy146 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:16 am

Yup, I tried this as well, and it works like a charm.
Also, all my command changes on the customs file seem to be executing with no problem.
Thanks everyone!
krispy146
n00b

Postby Socram » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:55 pm

This is btw still the G2 forum, WDTV Live posts are a little out of place ;)
Socram
DLX'er

Postby clight77 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:14 pm

Method above did not work for me it did however change from wood panel to curtains. :)

Also
S00custom.version file as well as the new renamed image must be on the same USB stick.

Not just the image.

There are parts of your information that are lacking.

So I tried this and it actually worked!
Resize the image that I wanted to use to 1280x720 and reduced quality until file size was about 80k. (no visible loss when loaded on TV)
Rename image to 'villa_bg.jpg'
Copy this image file to an empty usb key drive
Plug the usb key into WDTV Live and unplug the power cable to the WDTV Live, wait 20 seconds
Do you mean plug the usb stick in wait for the info to load,then unplug the unit remove the usb stick and wait for 20 seconds ???

Plug power back in and when it booted up I had my new background of choice.
clight77
n00b

Previous

Return to Discussion