WDLXTV-G2-0.4.7.3 discussion thread

General WDLXTV-G2 forum

Re: WDLXTV-G2-0.4.7.3 discussion thread   

Postby stanwebber » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:22 pm

for anyone interested i think i've got a reliable method to flash the 0.4.7.3 firmware. I messed around with this last year and was able to successfully flash this firmware after first bricking and recovering my unit. i soon lost interest and ended up going with the padavan firmware due to wireless chipset compatibility, but i finally upgraded my wireless network this year and got a new n adapter which is supported by the wdlxtv firmware. well i decided to try upgrading directly to the 0.4.7.3 firmware again on the off chance it might work this time and predictably bricked my unit. i couldn't exactly remember what i did before so i had to go thru the same trial and error process again. basically the 0.4.7.3 firmware upgrade is only successful if you flash from recovery mode. i've bricked my unit 5 out of 5 times flashing normally and succeeded 4 out of 4 times using recovery mode. getting into recovery mode can sometimes be flaky with the reset button appearing to be non-functional at times--i find it's easiest to force it by pulling the power plug. if you've already bricked your unit and can't get into recovery mode with the reset switch you can load the 0.4.5.3 ext3 boot firmware and flash 0.4.5.3 (remove root.bin before flashing). don't be afraid to pull the plug at any time during the process EXCEPT WHEN THE FLASH STATUS BAR IS 1% OR HIGHER.

this is the easiest way i've found to get into recovery mode:
1. flash 0.4.5.3 firmware (this could be optional, but don't know as i've never tried without it)
2. initate 0.4.7.3 firmware flash
3. wait for reboot and pull out the usb drive (when power light turns off)
4. let unit boot and lock at wdtv logo
5. press and hold reset switch with paperclip for 10-20sec
6. if unit does not reboot on its own then pull power plug
7. let unit boot into recovery mode (screen requests insert usb drive with firmware)
8. insert usb drive
9. let the unit reboot and complete firmware upgrade

google "1.01.77_WDLXTV.COM_WDLXTV_G2-0.4.7.3.zip" to download the firmware.
stanwebber
n00b

Postby Igorek247 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:14 am

thanks for the guide. will try this tonight...
Igorek247
n00b

Postby rgalka » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:30 pm

Let us know your results... thanks.
bob
rgalka
Donor

Postby Igorek247 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:19 pm

ok so here's what i got. Tried your method - after recovery screen is just black and nothing happens. tried another time - recovery notice didnt even disappear. Then i installed official firmware and tried installing 0.4.7.3 normal way - installation goes to 100%, reboot and again black screen... sad
Igorek247
n00b

Postby recliq » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:42 am

Read the first page of this thread!

There is a reason why we pulled this release and removed the downloads... This version is known to cause trouble!
If you still proceed installing this version by downloading it from some obscure source on the net, this is your problem and you're on your own.

You can still flash an earlier version and use the Ext3Boot (non-flash) version of this release (which is still available in firmware section). :geek:
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby janam4u » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:36 pm

any update on a fix
id like to make a youtube vid -- how to
and such --- for the next G2 flash
janam4u
n00b

Postby msabro » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:30 am

Hi im kind of stuck at the black screen mentioned before.
How do I flash it back to en early version from here?
msabro
n00b

Postby Cracker Jack » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:19 am

Hi guys,

i upgraded my G2 with the 1.01.77-WDLXTV-G2-0.4.7.3. The box recognized the new firmware on the stick and confirmed the upgrade. The box rebooted, but there was no progress bar or something. the was only the icon "Restart" for a few seconds. The G2 rebooted, but now it stucks and i can only see the WD logo with the string "WD TV HD Media Player" under it. No reaction so far.

The S/N is: wdbabg0000nbk

Please can someone give advice what to do? Is the box toasted now, or is there any way to fix that issue?

Tanks in advance!
Cracker Jack
n00b

Postby Cracker Jack » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:45 am

Thanks to stanwebber!!! Your procedure worked fine. :D

You're the man!!! :D
Cracker Jack
n00b

Postby Cracker Jack » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:04 am

Hi everybody,

if someone is interested in the solution:

stanwebber's procedure really works fine, execept of point 5.

Pressing the reset button for over 30 sec didn't work. You have to pull out the power cable. After putting it back in, you have to press and hold the reset button immediatly. Then the box is going to recovery mode. Put back your usb pen with the firmware on it and then reboot the box again, by pulling out the power slug and putting it back in again. Maybe you have to press and hold the reset button again while rebooting. i don't exactly remember anymore. The box is booting again and processes the firmware upgrade with the progress bar now. After that it reboots automatically and - voila - the box is running now and works absolutely fine.
Cracker Jack
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion