Re-Installing firmware

General WDLXTV-G2 forum

Re-Installing firmware   

Postby dharmin » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:45 am

Hi,

I have updated my WD TV Gen2 with new firmware and installation went well. I can see changes to my box. BUT I still can't able to access internet or access my hard drive connected to my home network. Is it possible for me to do? I have "Airlink USB adapter wirh rtl8188 chipset". Am I doing something wrong? Wher can I find tutorial besides the readme file?

I recentlly updated net.config file and now I like to reinstall firmware. I tried couple of times but it still doesn't show up as "found new firmware" when I hard reset my WD TV. Can I able to reinstall the same firmware? Is it possible?? :(

I hope someone can answer my question.

Thanks,
dharmin
WDTVer

Re: Re-Installing firmware   

Postby RMerlin » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:53 am

There is no reason to reinstall the firmware a second time. This won't do any change at all to the configuration, which is preserved between flashes. If you just want to reset your WDTV settings, just use the option to reset it to factory defaults, or use the reset button (if the G2 has one).

If you still want to force a reflash, check the README section about editing wdtv.ver.
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
If you like my work, please consider donating.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby dharmin » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:13 am

Thanks for your quick reply. I have Gen2 and has reset button and I tried resetting but still the same version I can see. The reason I want to reinstall is I have made couple of changes to my net.config file and I like install that updated to my box. But you are correct.I think I should change the version number so my WDTV can detect new firmware.

But could you help me how do I access internet or connect to network?

dharmin
WDTVer

Postby RMerlin » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:35 am

dharmin wrote:Thanks for your quick reply. I have Gen2 and has reset button and I tried resetting but still the same version I can see. The reason I want to reinstall is I have made couple of changes to my net.config file and I like install that updated to my box. But you are correct.I think I should change the version number so my WDTV can detect new firmware.

But could you help me how do I access internet or connect to network?

Resetting does not change the firmware, it merely resets the configuration.

Reflashing won't change anything to net.config either, unless you actually unpacked the firmware, edited the file, repackaged the file and reflashed - would surprise me :)

I can't help you with your Internet connection, I never owned a G2 or used wireless on a WDTV. Sorry.
WDLXTV Webend maintainer. Visit http://www.lostrealm.ca/wdlxtv to see my other WDLXTV projects.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby dharmin » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:16 am

No. I taught If I change something in net.config file and update the firmware will install all new changes to box. I am totally new to this. I just read the instruction in net.config file and it says if you want to enable something then you shoud remove"#" and it will enable that ....

I think I won't be able to flash my wd tv to access internet or network.
dharmin
WDTVer

Postby RMerlin » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:22 am

dharmin wrote:No. I taught If I change something in net.config file and update the firmware will install all new changes to box. I am totally new to this. I just read the instruction in net.config file and it says if you want to enable something then you shoud remove"#" and it will enable that ....

Make sure net.config is on your plugged USB disk, and just reboot the WDTV. The script will be executed at boot time.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Postby dharmin » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:50 am

Thank you for your support. That's clear my confusion.. :D
dharmin
WDTVer

Postby Socram » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:21 am

But beware: reboot != pushing the button on the remote. You have to unplug the power cable.
Socram
DLX'er

Postby dharmin » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:48 am

OK. I am not sure why I can't see any network capability. I re-installed all again by changing version number and It was successfully installed. I have verified from the menu screen.

As per [u]RMerlin ::"Make sure net.config is on your plugged USB disk, and just reboot the WDTV. The script will be executed at boot time".

I did exctaly what "RMerlin" told me, I kept my updated net.config file in root of USB stick (erased all other files)but my wd player getting stuck after intial WD logo. It just says "NO Signal" I waited for almost few hrs on that sceen but no luck. Then, If I unplug my usb stick and after hard reset I can see main Menu screen. SO why can't I execute net.config file at boot time? How do I do to make net.config file workable?

Thanks!
dharmin
WDTVer

Postby RMerlin » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:40 am

Post the content of your net.config file.
RMerlin
WDLXTV Team

Next

Return to Discussion