Never thought I'd have to ask for help with this...

General WDLXTV-G2 forum

Never thought I'd have to ask for help with this...   

Postby grantwolsey » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:03 am

But I'm having a *freakin* NOOB problem installing the custom FW courtesy of b-rad (1.01.77_B-RAD.CC_WDLXTV_G2-0.4.1.9-6) on my WD TV HD (Gen 2). Now I don't want to be some annoying "do it all for me" whiner so I've scoured all the forums for going on two weeks now on how to install the custom firmware, but I'm still having trouble even getting it on there. So here I am, teachable, asking for help from those more inclined with things WD TV than I.

- b-rad came out with a custom firmware for the WD TV HD g2. Awesome; he didn't have to do that but I guess he's a really selfless person. I went to where it said to download it and a few minutes later I had the custom FW listed above in the first sentence of this post.

- With all my scouring I've deduced that I have to transfer the FW to a USB stick, plug it into one of the USB inputs of my WD, and disconnect the power to initiate a "hard restart". Okay. I did that...and that's where something's up. It doesn't show the "NEW FIRMWARE DETECTED" screen or anything like it shows on all the tutorial videos, it just shows I'm still on the default factory FW. After multiple tries and even more scouring of forums (this one and others similar) here I am, throwing myself on the mercy of the custom FW court.

My question is: Was I doing it right up until now? Is there a better method or an updated custom FW I don't know of? Does anything else present on the USB drive mess things up when I mean to install? Okay, that's like three questions but I guess it's obvious that it's just one merciful benevolent walk-through from one of the dozens of fortunate WD TV hackers running a cooler-looking UI at the present that I need. I hope this isn't one of those posts that gets like 30 views and no replies, if nothing else please help me out on the basis of the grammatical correctness and pleasing aesthetic layout of this post...I made it easy to read and hopefully I've demonstrated I'm not just a whiny freeloading user that doesn't appreciate the hacker community.

***UPDATE***

On just reading adamhill1's post "Have i got this right" he says the custom FW is a .rar file, I'm wondering: would that have anything to do with my WD TV not being able to read it, especially when he's trying to get "movie sheets", not just install the custom FW? He also mentions a way of formatting the USB stick, I always thought that may have been an issue with installation, am I using the wrong formatting technique? And then mankidavu's reply that you only need to install certain files off of the custom FW package to perform a FW update, am I trying to give my WD TV too much when I just want it to upgrade to a custom FW? I know, a lot of questions. Hope I'm not on the verge of annoyance already.
grantwolsey
n00b

Re: Never thought I'd have to ask for help with this...   

Postby thedogcow » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:14 am

A .rar file is a compressed file, much like a .zip file. You'll need to extract the contents from this file on your PC, and then you should have the actual firmware file. Use a program like winrar to do this: http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm :)
thedogcow
DLX'er

Postby grantwolsey » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:41 am

Thanks for replying, I already have downloaded the .zip file and extracted it, (for some reason it was a .zip and not a .rar file, I remember) but I just need to know the process for getting it on the WD TV g2 that I have.

Inside the folder extracted from the .zip file it has:

-Changelog
-net.config
-net.mounts
-README
-S00custom-options
-smb.conf
-wdtvhd.bin
-wdtvhd.ver

Once again, I just need to know which ones to put on a USB stick and in what fashion so that my WD TV HD Gen2 recognizes it when I do a hard restart by disconnecting the power and plugging it back in (at least I'm pretty sure that's the process used, right?)

Thanks a ton
grantwolsey
n00b

Postby ali2k1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:42 am

Format USB to fat32
when you open the drive from my computer this is the root of your USB.
Now place everything you extracted on the root of the USB.
Open soo file in notepad and enable movie sheets and then save file.

config_tool -c MSHEETMODE=sheet
config_tool -c VIDMSHEET=ON
config_tool -c GENMSHEET=ON
config_tool -c LISTMSHEET=ON

Take it out plug it in the wd and wait for it to load and it would prompt you new firmware found.
Follow instructions and your done!!

Let us know how you get on and anyone please feel free to correct me.
ali2k1
n00b

Postby grantwolsey » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:31 pm

Thanks a lot. I'm currently trying to edit the S00 files in TextEdit, I'm going to see if it has the desired results.
Last edited by grantwolsey on Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grantwolsey
n00b

Postby grantwolsey » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:56 pm

grantwolsey
n00b

Postby grantwolsey » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:07 am

I tried enabling movie sheets and it didn't work. I guess my editing of the S00 file was off. I figured I'd try to do something simple to see if I was on the right track, so I tried putting a 1920X1080 wallpaper I had for the background and THAT didn't even work. I'll try to put my process here:

-Took off the "#" in the S00 file in the custom firmware
-replaced the "some/random/location" after "usb" with the name of my file
-put both the saved altered S00 file and my file on the USB stick
-plugged in my USB stick to my unplugged WDTV G2 with B-rad's custom firmware already installed
-Plugged the power source back in

And nothing happened. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I think I better not try tackling anything as complicated as movie sheets if I can't even do something THIS simple. Thank you
grantwolsey
n00b

Postby Rorscach » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:54 pm

Moviesheets work just fine. Custom wallpaper does not. At least not on this current G2 firmware.
Due to some bug, which has been mentioned a few times.
Rorscach
DLX'er

Postby b-rad.cc » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:49 am

even if background image setting is not working I can almost guarantee that the syntax used in the setting was incorrect as well. If you have the skills to be able to correctly determine where that image is at boot, then making settings is no issue.

Make bug reports for wdlxtv-g2 soon. I have broken my hand, fractured the wrist, and cracked a rib...so I really don't have much to do except dev work, and I think my hand might be at the point where typing doesn't make it feel like its on fire anymore :)
PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
:mrgreen:
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby essoG » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:03 am

b-rad.cc wrote:[/b] I have broken my hand, fractured the wrist, and cracked a rib...so I really don't have much to do except dev work, and I think my hand might be at the point where typing doesn't make it feel like its on fire anymore :)

Quickly recover :D
Accident? :roll:
best wishes
- Never Drive Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly -
essoG
DLX'er

Next

Return to Discussion