Any new firmware versions expected?

Feature Requests and Proposals for inclusion into WDLXTV-Live

Any new firmware versions expected?   

Postby Landsharrk » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:52 am

hello all:

just dropped in here yesterday looking for a netflix stream alternative for this dern WDTV Live box! my buddy gave this to me leaving me with the distinct impression that I would be streaming netflix into my bedroom by nightfall, ha! what a cluster**** this has been and WD needs to go back to just HDD's because based on my opinion of the Live unit I'm betting that the streaming unit isn't much better, just more costly. They may wanna rethink the old addage, "if ya can't beat 'em, join 'em", in reference to perhaps collaborating with ya all. I'm so very glad that I wasn't the original purchase party...$300, I don't think so!

anywho....good stuff here and it's been fun however, and pardon my curiosity, the last post from B-Rad will be 3 year ago Dec. 15th, the latest version for the Live unit will be exactly the same age. Are "we" expecting any more firmware versions? If not this may be the time for me to do my switcheroo from windows to linux, seeing how I have a streaming reason now!!

the download links for the .05 firmware, at least for the Live units, they suck!! One get's redirected to god knows what, the other if you don't pay attention to what you're clicking on you get some fantastic chit on your computer. The torrent link on the .03 version, well let's just say I normally reserve torrent use for music files only, I know better! If you're paying attention while you're in here you'll notice that prior to the most recent firmware (1.05) the downloads were made through the forum site. Since that version now they get directed elsewhere which pretty much says, "we be done with this".

So maybe you could enlighten me to the WDLXTV future of things to come? Top of the day to you all,

Landsharrk
Landsharrk
n00b

Re: Any new firmware versions expected?   

Postby Captain_WD » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:58 pm

Hey there Landsharrk,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the WD TV Live. The latest official Firmware version is 2.01.86 from 12/2013 and is available in the WD website (I've posted a link at the bottom with what it includes and how to install).

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_live_G3

Hope this helps,

Captain_WD.
Captain_WD
n00b

Postby Landsharrk » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:02 am

Thanks Captain_WD,
Guess I needed to be more specific...I have a WD Live box p/n WDBAAN, it'd be nice to have acquired the Live Streaming box but no such luck. I have been successful at downloading the 1.02.21 WDLXTV Live 0.4.73 and also the 1.05.04_V WDLXTV Live 0.5.1.1 both FLASH versions, not too sure if I'm liking the earlier one better or not but I'm still stuck with not being able to stream with both of those. Have tried some of the USMP sites on the 1.05 but you don't really know how or what is gonna transpire until you do so. I did find movies at a site but when they ran they were littered with DEMO across the screen and if you can look beyond that then I guess you're okay. As soon as I set this up in the bedroom to resume viewing of the "DEMO" screen I was unable to continue viewing the movie at all, and further I was completely unable to access movies from that very same site. I'm not so satisfied with that.

The one thing that is quite misleading is this WD Live box doesn't support Netflix and the Live plus does. I don't know anything about the Live hub or the Live streaming since I'm not dealing with those but I would have been just as confused had I went out to actually purchase this in the beginning. The service folks at Netflix are just as confused they assumed that the WDTV Live box, like the one I have, was set up to support Netflix. I have an account with them and have told them the entire story...including flashing the box and back again. I still can't get a damn activation code.

The link you provided sends me right back to WD and it was for the Streaming box and that's not going to help me here but I do thank you for responding to my post.
Landsharrk
n00b

Postby ebo » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:21 pm

As you've found, it's important to specify the model number because the current model, the Live Streaming Media Player, a.k.a. Live Streaming or Live SMP, is often called simply Live, confusing it with the older and very different model that you have. Yours does not and never will support Netflix, as the otherwise similar Live Plus does. WDLXTV can't add Netflix. The hardware just isn't there.

Netflix comes on many devices these days. Your cheapest option might be a $35 Chromecast.
ebo
Donor

Postby Captain_WD » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:34 pm

Hey again,

Unfortunately, I cannot help you with the homebrew softwares for WD TV. I'm sorry.

I hope you find a resolution to your problem,

Captain_WD.
Captain_WD
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:12 am

Regarding expecting a new version, well, b-rad has been mostly inactive in the past years - you can still catch him on IRC, but he hasn't done much work on the project for a while. The project for Live/Plus is lingering and there haven't been many commits in the past years. I plan on making some internal changes and rereleasing new flashable versions for Live and Plus based on 1.02 and 1.05 bases. Also, if time permits, I will try to port WDLXTV to 1.06 (which is the last official firmware released by WD). But this will take time, and I haven't been able to get started yet (so no ETA or promises). In terms of benefits for the end user - the 1.02/1.05 branches will probably look the same as the current release (there are some changes to UMSP). The 1.06 branch should give users more online services (added by WD).

The SMP device has KAD working full time on a firmware with excellent results :)
mad_ady
Developer

Postby nafnist » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:01 am

What is the SMP device?

Sorry for being totally n00b :oops:
nafnist
WDTVer

Postby KAD » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:23 am

nafnist wrote:What is the SMP device?

Sorry for being totally n00b :oops:

SMP = Streaming Media Player

it's listed as gen3 on the wiki
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby nafnist » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:34 pm

Pretty awesome!
nafnist
WDTVer

Return to Requests