rTorrent download queue manager

Feature Requests and Proposals for inclusion into WDLXTV-Live

rTorrent download queue manager   

Postby ozzyman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:41 am

Hi folks.

Sorry by my poor english (I'm from Brazil).

There is a way to implement a download queue manager in rTorrent ??

If yes, what I have to do ?

Can B-Rad implement this in futher wdlxtv-plus versions ?
ozzyman
Donor

Re: rTorrent download queue manager   

Postby tchutchy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:34 am

+1
tchutchy
DLX'er

Postby chameleon_skin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:47 pm

It looks like people are typically doing this with external shell scripts, not from within rTorrent itself. Here is a link to one such script:

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=8992

With a little shell scripting knowledge you could probably put that script in your /conf directory, modify it with the correct directory names for your rTorrent installation (at the top of the file - it's well-documented), and then call the script from your /conf/profile file. The last step is just a matter of putting this line at the end of profile:

Code: Select all
./conf/the-name-of-your-sript

Those changes will persist after you reboot as well.
chameleon_skin
Developer

Postby ozzyman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:46 pm

chameleon_skin wrote:It looks like people are typically doing this with external shell scripts, not from within rTorrent itself. Here is a link to one such script:

http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=8992

With a little shell scripting knowledge you could probably put that script in your /conf directory, modify it with the correct directory names for your rTorrent installation (at the top of the file - it's well-documented), and then call the script from your /conf/profile file. The last step is just a matter of putting this line at the end of profile:

Code: Select all
./conf/the-name-of-your-sript

Those changes will persist after you reboot as well.

I'm not familiar with linux and scripting...

So, if it's possible this feature came with the next release... why not ??

We need a sollution like utorrent do.

Limit the number of active torrents (upload/download individually) and start the next one when the torrent have finished.
ozzyman
Donor

Postby chameleon_skin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:14 pm

I'm not familiar with linux and scripting...

Great time to learn ;)

So, if it's possible this feature came with the next release... why not ??

Well, because there are a ton of other things to add as well, and there hasn't been a ton of noise for this particular feature. Maybe it will make it in, but don't hold your breath.

Seriously, modifying a shell script and placing it on your drive isn't that hard. If you have even a little computer knowledge, I'm sure you could figure it out. When I've wanted things added to the WDTV I've just done it myself - that way I know it will be exactly the way I want it.
chameleon_skin
Developer

Postby sinvel » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:08 pm

Yeah... being able to queue torrents is pretty critical if you wanna dl more than one file at a time.
I tried following your directions, copied and pasted the script over at http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=8992 in the vi editor, changed all of the directories with the correct directory names for my rTorrent installation on my ext drive (formatted ntfs), saved it as 'queue' and moved it to /conf, ran chmod 755 to make it executable, created a 'profile' file in /conf and added ./conf/queue to the end, rebooted the box, but it still didn't work.
I'm sure that I'm probably making some basic shell scripting mistakes; can you please point out what I'm doing wrong? You can move this thread to the noob section and explain how it's done to all the noobs over here... :) Thanks for all your help!
sinvel
n00b

Postby chameleon_skin » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:10 pm

Well, I haven't tried that particular shell script so I wouldn't know what to look for. But your best bet is to try running it by hand first and see what the output is. Just type ./conf/queue from the command line and see what happens. You may get error messages from that which help you to resolve it quickly.
chameleon_skin
Developer

Postby maximusix » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:38 am

how to do this anybody know ?
maximusix
n00b

Postby minorityracer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:39 pm

I know this is an ancient thread but the problem doesn't appear to be solved (or at least I haven't found the solution).

I'm trying to download a TV series where each episode is one torrent. Now because I (obviously) watch things in sequence and because the download capacity is limited, I need it to download the episodes in sequence.
It must finish downloading one episode before using resources on another. Currently it downloads all at once.

In utorrent on my PC this is easy to do. It automatically prioritises as you add torrent files, or you can manually adjust it with the up/down icons.
Amazingly, trying to do this in rtorrent doesn't seem to be possible. Google searches on the issue returned only noise and irate users reporting that this was somehow against the 'pool' philosophy of rtorrent. great...

I had a look at the bash shell scripts but couldn't make head or tail of them as I've never done any shell scripting before. So I spent a while reading some tutorials and have written my own script.
All it does is checks for a file/folder in the .incomplete folder. If there isn't anything there it simply copies a torrent file into the 'watched' folder as I specified in rtorrent. Its not all working yet, but I'm getting there.
minorityracer
WDTVer

Postby Aalia Nebhan » Wed May 01, 2013 9:51 pm

It's a queue manager for rTorrent. I didn't consider it but it seems to be capable to do what you would like!

I observed this : http://code.google.com/p/pyroscope/wiki/QuickStartGuide

This query have been previously asked : http://forums.rutorrent.org/index.php?topic=207.0 or http://forums.rutorrent.org/index.php?topic=167.0
Aalia Nebhan
n00b

Return to Requests