Retaining Mediatomb DB on reboot

General WDLXTV-Live forum

Retaining Mediatomb DB on reboot   

Postby alfiebear » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:49 pm

I am querying whether there is a certain method to ensuring that a connected USB drive which is used by a media server app like Mediatomb is continually recognised such that the app (Mediatomb) does not 'lose' the DB it has created. I had created a small DB on Mediatomb via its GUi and then when I rebooted the WD the DB had disappeared. I suspect it was because I had disconnected the USB drive prior to rebooting in order to to do some housekeeping to the media on it.

My thoughts are that after creating the DB on WD/Mediatomb one should not disconnect the drive the media is stored on UNLESS the WD is also powered off otherwise Mediatomb will assume on a restart (or reboot) that it has 'lost' the media and subsequently clear the DB.

Is this a correct assumption and if so is there a configuration setting to get around the problem?
alfiebear
WDTVer

Re: Retaining Mediatomb DB on reboot   

Postby alfiebear » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:28 pm

A bit more clarification on this topic...

I have a powered USB drive plugged to the WD Live.

I have USB_OSD_EJECT_BEFORE_POWER_OFF set to Yes and also USB_POWER_OFF set to Yes in the WD configuration.

If the WD is just shut down and restarted (not rebooted) everything is ok, Mediatomb is working and the DB is ok. However when the WD is not in use I prefer to power it off (and also the USB drive) especially if for example one is going to be away from home.

I find that when power is subsequently restored to the WD and the USB drive that Mediatomb is now turned off and that its DB is empty. Thus it would seem that it is not possible to power off the two devices without having to re-establish the Mediatomb DB. Also I see a similar problem in having passive USB drives connected via a hub to the WD if power is removed. I would much appreciate any input on this issue or if anyone else has/had a simialr problem.
alfiebear
WDTVer

Re: Retaining Mediatomb DB on reboot   

Postby mad_ady » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:25 am

Are you using the mediatomb.app.bin?

I need to check where the database is stored. Anyway, in standby the WDTV is still powered on and running all processes, so it's not relevant. Reboot is what you need to be testing.
mad_ady
Developer

Return to Discussion