WD TV Live - 2TB usb 3.0 ?

General WDLXTV-Live forum

WD TV Live - 2TB usb 3.0 ?   

Postby arfgh » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:53 am

Somebody know if the WD TV Live support drives with 2 TB and usb 3.0 ?
Because i am attaching one of these, and i can see a little blink on the device, where the attached drive spins, but the light of media present stop in less than a half second.

If the answer is that the WD TV Live doesnt support 3.0 drives, what can i do ? And if i attach it to a hub usb that support 3.0 ?

solutions ?

thx in advance
arfgh
WDTVer

Re: WD TV Live - 2TB usb 3.0 ?   

Postby mad_ady » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:49 am

As long as the drive has enough power and is usb2 backward compatible, it should work. Try with a powered USB2 hub first. Also, see if the drive works in a PC USB2 port. Note that WDTV's USB ports only output 500mA, while a PC can output 1A depending on vendor. Haven't tried USB 3 with WDTV so I can't be sure...
mad_ady
Developer

Postby arfgh » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:43 am

it isnt working, all that i see.

It is a Seagate Expansion Portable Drive with a Samsung HDD into. Like i said the WDTV shows the media searching for less than a half second, and then stop. I have tried top and rear usb ports, with the same result.

Now i have it working through a router via ethernet port with the hdd attached to it by usb, very curious because it is a usb 2.0 port the one that has the router.

Also another question, isnt it possible to play a Blue-Ray source move through the ethernet port ? the m2tv file starts to play but in less than 5 seconds the speeds seems not enought to keep the gameplay.... In theority 100 Mbps should be far enough for a movie that it is saying on the WDTV HD that uses a 45.xxx Kbps as a bitrate.

thx in advance
arfgh
WDTVer

Postby mad_ady » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:14 am

Regarding the disk issue - you should output the listing of after unplugging the disk:

Code: Select all
dmesg
tail -30f /tmp/messages.txt
lsusb
fdisk -l

Regarding network playback - 45Mbps should be ok for the wdtv, but depends on the following parameters:
* network performance (speed, number of switches, cable quality, etc)
* network protocol used for file sharing: DLNA is faster than NFS which is way faster than Samba
* throughput of HDD

You can run a throughput test using the builtin bandwidth_test script:
Code: Select all
Script to test bandwidth of a network file transfer.
This script copies a file from a remotely mounted location to /dev/null and times the action.

Usage: /usr/bin/bandwidth_test <file_to_test_transfer_speeds>
         /usr/bin/bandwidth_test '/tmp/media/usb/NFS_Mount/Batman.mkv'

You can try various sharing methods from your router (samba, nfs if possible - though I doubt you can for NTFS drives) and time the transfer and see if you go over the 45Mbps requirement.
mad_ady
Developer

Return to Discussion