youtube API v2 is obsolet soon v3 is comming

General WDLXTV-Live forum

youtube API v2 is obsolet soon v3 is comming   

Postby lalala » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:30 am

In march 2014 youtube announced, that the youtube API v2 is obsolet in april 2015. There was much time for software developers to switch to new version of their player software.

I'm sure that the 1.0.5.x Version of our beloved WDTV-Box isn't compatible with youtube v3 API because I can see the youtube migration video in my youtube list. So is 1.0.6.x compatible? Is there a chance to modify 1.0.5.x versions? Or am I wrong in my suggestions?

Thank you very much for answers
lalala

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UKY3scPIMd8
https://www.youtube.com/devicesupport

--- original text ---

Schon vor über einem Jahr, im März 2014, hat YouTube angekündigt dass man die Version 2 der Data API im April 2015 einstellen wird und hat den Entwicklern damit genügend Zeit gegeben um auf die neuen Versionen umzustellen. Dazu wurde im September vergangenen Jahres sogar ein Migration Guide veröffentlicht, mit dem die Umstellung relativ leicht zu erledigen gewesen ist – aber das nützt natürlich nichts, wenn der Entwickler bzw. Hersteller gar kein Interesse mehr daran hat die eigene App zu aktualisieren.

https://www.googlewatchblog.de/2015/04/youtube-data-api-viele/
lalala
DLX'er

Re: youtube API v2 is obsolet soon v3 is comming   

Postby mad_ady » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:22 pm

Yes, youtube playback will be broken on 1.02 and 1.05 firmwares with or without youtubeHD. It is unfortunate :(

Furthermore, the youtube-subscriptions UMSP plugin uses APIv2, so it will break as well.

Here are possible solutions:
1. See if youtube leanback from 1.06 still works. You can try a stock 1.06 root.bin or you can test the 1.06 svn tgat is being migrated to wdlxtv (details here: http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9073)
2. Extend youtubeHD proxy to intercept all calls to youtube and convert the API from v2 to v3. It's difficult, would require packet captures and a lot of work, plus new keys, but it's not impossible.
3. Rewrite youtube-subscriptions and turn it into a youtube v3 full client. Again, doable, would require a lot of code, but would be easier to do than #2.

I plan on working on #3, since I want youtube-subscriptions to continue, but I've been busy with other stuff and I didn't get started. I expect there will be a period of youtube breakage between the time youtube pulls the plug and when the first fixnwill be ready. Could be weeks or months of downtime - sorry. Developers wanted to help out!

Also, suggetions wanted.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby lalala » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:35 am

Hello mad_ady,

first the good news!
I flashed stock 1.0.6.47 firmware with youtube leanback - there was no warning with device support at the first test. So we can be sure with the newest version our devices can run youtube videos.

the bad news....
first some personal. I'm not a software developer so I can't help you with. There are some other guys needed and I hope that there are still some people out there with good software skills for wdtv development.

second about the leanback software. The stock software is overloaded and makes the device not useable (imho). It lacks of speed and response and overloads the tiny CPU unit in the TV-Box. Sometimes the box hangs and reboots after watching a few video clips so imo the leanback software is the badest choice for this small device.

Maybe it's possible to run (as you already descriped in #2 and #3) a "service" that translates v3 api calls to v2 in some way. That would be the finest way.

Thank you anyway for the further software development. I am back to 1.0.5.22 wdlxtv :)
lalala
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:47 am

I'm glad leanback works, sorry to hear it's a resource hog.

Most likely it will have to be #3. It won't be as flexible as the stock client, and you won't be able to Like, share, etc the video, but you should be able to play it and search it at least.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby mad_ady » Sun May 03, 2015 8:23 pm

I'd like to hear what you guys would like to see as functionality from the new youtube client (let's call it youtube3).

It will feature the following:
* run under umsp
* won't use a cache
* will have search
* will have subscriptions
* will have playlists/favorites
* will have stored searches (editable via telnet)
* won't have uploads
* might not have view of protected videos (VEVO/videos that are private)

I don't know if the "related" items you get when you play are of interest or not.

Let me know what else you'd like this plugin to do.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby lalala » Tue May 05, 2015 9:42 am

Well the support for old software is getting worse and worse so I think a new software - even if it's only a UMSP-Plugin is good enough and I'm glad to see first results :)

I think the plugin is a good way to save time between the old 1.0.2.x / 1.0.5.x image and the new WDLXTV 1.0.6.x images :)
lalala
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Tue May 05, 2015 8:08 pm

Yeah, a UMSP plugin would work on all firmwares, even Gen3!
mad_ady
Developer

Postby distrata » Thu May 28, 2015 1:47 pm

Hello,

I think that subscriptions (login) should not be mandatory for this app due to the google - youtube account conflicts etc. All other characteristics are welcome.

@Mad_ady Consider me as a volunteer for hard testing and some simple development.

Thank you.
distrata
WDTVer

Postby mad_ady » Thu May 28, 2015 9:49 pm

Sorry, I forgot to let you guys know - Youtube3 is online: http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=9230&p=74638

Enjoy!
mad_ady
Developer

Return to Discussion