USB drive limitations

General WDLXTV-Live forum

USB drive limitations   

Postby derwildemann » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:30 am

I have 2 USB drives connected to my WD player and I am using homebrew 1.05.04 version: 0.5.1.1 and I use the MSHEET hack where all my sheets are in a single folder called .msheetdir

Both drives have 2 TB capacity and I'll be running out of space very soon.

I can't connect another drive as the player has only two slots and I can't connect a drive with more that 2 TB as the player won't recognize drives with more than 2 TB.

In the past I have discussed this issue in the forum as well as in private messages. I was told that there were two possible solutions to this problem.
1 - use a powered USB hub and connect the USB drives to the hub.
2 - use a drive with higher capacity and create partitions on it.

I have tried the the powered USB hub but it didn't work. I had two drives connected to the hub and the hub then connected to one of the USB ports of the WD. I had another drive connected to the other USB port of the WD. However I could always only see one drive on each ports with varying results.

Has anyone tested successfully option 2? I'm hesitating to spend money on a 4 TB disk just to find out afterwards that it doesn't work.
derwildemann
DLX'er

Re: USB drive limitations   

Postby RevDrew » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:13 am

you didn't say if you had the Live or the Live Plus.

from what I recall, the live will go above 2TB with WD firmware or WDlxTV.
the Live Plus will not go above 2TB with WDlxTV but will with WD firmware.
namaste
RevDrew™

WDTV with: 1.03.01_B-RAD.CC_WDLXTV-0.5.8.1 *wireless* DWA-140
WDTV Live: new, still in the box & unopened
2 X WDTV Live Plus with: 1.05.04_B_WDLXTV.COM_WDLXTV_PLUS-0.5.1.1: 1 wired, 1 *wireless* DWA-140

http://www.supernews.com/super-special/?i=ZxJfObJynPQ=
RevDrew
Donor

Postby derwildemann » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:43 am

my bad... I have the WDTV Live, NOT the Live Plus...

are you sure that the WDTV Live goes beyond 2TB with either WD FW or WDLX FW? does that "beyond" mean it does recognize HDDs with over 2TB or does it mean that I need to partition the HDD so that it doesn't have any partition beyond 2TB?

is there anyone out there who has passed through this and could share his experience?
derwildemann
DLX'er

Postby KAD » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:38 am

this is not a topic for the nitty gritty, moving to regular discussion

also http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Differences_between_kernels
>2TB support is well documented
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby derwildemann » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:07 am

hi KAD

thanks for the info, however, where can I find the discussion about the 2TB issue?
derwildemann
DLX'er

Postby KAD » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:28 am

I don't think there is any one discussion about it
probably in some of the old firmware release threads talk about it

you can look at the change log to see when >2TB support was added, I would start by reading discussion thread for that firmware
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby Parduz » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:17 pm

If this help, i'm using a 3TB WD "MyBook" (NTFS, it was like that and i can plug it on my Win PC when i want). I have no problem at all (well, the only problem is the inability to rename a folder with a "." as first character from Windows).
Parduz
WDTVer

Postby recliq » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:04 am

Parduz wrote:If this help, i'm using a 3TB WD "MyBook" (NTFS, it was like that and i can plug it on my Win PC when i want). I have no problem at all (well, the only problem is the inability to rename a folder with a "." as first character from Windows).

It's possible to rename a file/folder to a name starting with a dot (.) in windows, you just have to do it on commandline (cmd).
Code: Select all
C:\> move <source> <dest>
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby derwildemann » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:14 am

Parduz wrote:If this help, i'm using a 3TB WD "MyBook" (NTFS, it was like that and i can plug it on my Win PC when i want). I have no problem at all (well, the only problem is the inability to rename a folder with a "." as first character from Windows).

thanks for the info...

and as recliq said, you need to open an MSDOS window and execute the command: md .dir

to get an MSDOS window right click on "start" and choose "MS DOS prompt".
derwildemann
DLX'er

Return to Discussion