[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4326: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4328: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4329: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4330: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
Losing movies

Losing movies

General WDLXTV-Live forum

Losing movies   

Postby RavRob » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:55 pm

This is weird. Never read of anyone else to have this.

I download most of my movies to PC where I create my moviesheets etc..... I test all my movies to ensure they are full an not just parts. Then I send them to my WDTV attached HDD via FileZilla. Then most times I will end up watching it that night or soon after.

Here is where it gets funny. I have movies that have been both tested on PC and watched on the WDTV Live. Last night, I was bored and was going to watch a movie I had watched already. Interesting movies get watched a few times with various friends or members of my family. This one was one of them. However, it wouldn't play. So I checked it out with FileZilla and it showed 0 bytes.

It wouldn't play on the PC either.

So I ran TreeSize and searched for all 0 bytes movies. I found 8. Most of which had already been watched once or more.

What could cause movies to lose their content for no reason? The container is still the same whether it be MKV, AVI, or what ever but now with zero bytes.
Windows 10
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
RavRob
Supporter

Re: Losing movies   

Postby ripper2860 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:21 pm

Assuming the drive is in a Windows compatible format -- have you connected the drive to a Windows PC and run a CHKDSK /f against the drive??
WDLXTV Supporter
ripper2860
Supporter

Postby RavRob » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:20 pm

Yes it is NTSF and yes I have ran the Chkdsk/f. I do that once in a while anyway just as a preventive maintenance.
Windows 10
WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router
RavRob
Supporter

Postby KAD » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:27 pm

well the file size, indicates the file is corrupted, likely no way to get it back, if your lucky maybe attached to PC you can do something

what's odd is that you've already watched the movies, I've see this happen quite a bit with filezilla, large files, & WD
likely due to either filezilla or the buggy paragon driver on WD

KAD
If you like my work please consider a Donation.
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions!
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby RavRob » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:51 pm

I tried some recovery software I have but the file is still there, just no size. The recovery SW can't do a thing for me. I re-downloaded everything. Just a PITA but not a biggie since I can always get the movies online....

I was hoping for someone to jump out and say stop doing "this or that" and the problem will go away....not the case I guess.

Thanks
Windows 10
WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router
RavRob
Supporter

Postby KAD » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:59 pm

I noticed the problem with the combination of windows running filezilla, to WD which is linux with really buggy paragon NTFS driver, the larger the file the more likely it ends up corrupted

that's my observations :|

KAD
If you like my work please consider a Donation.
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions!
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby ripper2860 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:47 pm

WDLXTV Supporter
ripper2860
Supporter

Postby chaghi » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:56 pm

I'm new to all this, I got my WDTV a couple of weeks ago, and flashed WDLXTV as per a friend recommendation.

I've run in this strange truncation of files to 0 bytes a couple of times this week. In fact, today I lost a 10 GB mkv, which was perfectly OK yesterday: I watched the first 10 minutes or so on my laptop, attaching my external USB drive to it. Then I attached the drive to the WDTV, and forgot about it. A couple of hours ago I wanted to see the movie, so I turned on my WDTV, found the movie, tried to play it... and got an error. I logged into the WDTV via ssh, and found out that the file is 0 bytes.

I also found some TV shows episodes that were perfectly fine a few days ago truncated to 0 bytes.

And last week I lost two DVD ISOs, around 6 GB each. Also truncated to 0 bytes. Those two were the first.

I really don't know what's going on here. I know that Linux and NTFS didn't use to be exactly the perfect combination (and maybe still aren't...), but this is 2011, and NTFS is officialy supported by WD (and by many home appliances and embedded systems with Linux under the hood). Besides, an external drive is meant to be portable, and something formated as ext3 is not easily shareable with the rest of the world (and I say this as a 100% Linux user for my personal computing needs), so NTFS happen to be almost the obvious choice.

So... this kind of data loss worries me a lot :(

It's very strange. I don't understand why some files (apparently, only a few) got truncated and others not. I don't understand why some files that were NOT played at the time are truncated. I don't know exactly when the files are being truncated, either.

I don't use Windows at home, so I can't run a CHKDSK now. I'll try that tomorrow at work. In the mean time I run some checks with ntfs-progrs in my laptop (with Ubuntu), but everything seems to be fine.

I'd love to know what to do at least to debug this strange situation, and find the cause.
chaghi
n00b

Postby chaghi » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:41 am

chaghi
n00b

Postby RavRob » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:53 am

Tx for testing this. At least now I know I am not crazy LOL. I have replaced the ones that were truncated and I haven't had problems with them or any others since.
Last edited by RavRob on Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10
WDTV Live
DLink - Dir-655 Router
RavRob
Supporter

Next

Return to Discussion