Just some observations from a regular user. I don't use any of the power features like web torrent, or samba, or nfs or any other unix word that comes to mind.
- As soon as I updated the firmware, I immediately ran into the videos not playing from my xmount (the spinning circle of death). The "ro" option in xmount did not work. I didn't want to reset permissions on all my shared folders on the PC, so I did a factory reset on the new firmware. Now the same xmount file that didn't work before started working.
- The mounted folders now show up under "USB2" as opposed to "Folders" in the previous version in the Local Drives menu.
- Movie sheets also didn't work out of the box. All my sheets are located on a single folder (due to a feature in the previous version). This version, the sheets can also be in the same folder without anything special. But I had to force the moviesheet location path for the sheets to show up again.
- Bootup time (forced reboot) of the new firmware is considerably longer than the old one (by maybe a couple of minutes). And this is after the factory reset.
- Movie sheet scan time is really quick - something I know I will enjoy.
- Occasionally on a forced reboot the unit looses its mind and does not process the net.mounts file correctly, causing me to not load some folders. But I don't reboot that often, and once everything is working ok, I hope the usual power down and up will work solidly.
- The plugins took some time to figure out. I had the .wdtvext-plugins folder in the USB stick for about 10-15 minutes before I saw any available plugins to download. One of them (Media Folder) made me completely lose my path to the mounted directories, but maybe I wasn't using it properly.
- I'm not sure if this was available before, but in the UMSP apple trailers I can now see the thumbnails! Awesome! I have only partially been able to configure the custom streams, and it took a lot of reading to do that. Makes me wish again that someone would maintain a good wiki.
- And I almost forgot. juliojs's osdMod, which is my all-time favorite OSD is not compatible with moviesheets in this firmware (unless I'm missing something)
Grrr..... not two reboots later, and the spinning wheel of death is back. Seriously. Here we go with another 3 minute cycle while I reboot.
- reserved for some more observations -