online video support

Feature Requests and Proposals

online video support   

Postby zvunks » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:00 am

Hi all, is there any chance to improve wdlxtv to support online streaming? like playing movies directly from internet.
I have a WD Gen 1 player and i bought a wireless D-Link adapter, and everything works just fine. I got IP, i'm playing movies shared on my Synology DS110J, it's very very cool what B-Rad did for these players.
Now that it's supports networking i'm curios why there is no online streaming support?
I have also an E-Great player that support many online futures like RSS, picasa, video online to watch tv shows, movies... there are some links to video streaming, something like that, mp4 format.

Thanks, and excuse my english.
zvunks
n00b

Re: online video support   

Postby mad_ady » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:07 am

I'm not sure if UMSP is supported for Gen1. I guess it's not, otherwise you could benefit from it and its plugins...
http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/UMSP_Content
I think you need at least Gen2 for it to work...
mad_ady
Developer

Postby Alicia » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:20 am

@ mad_ady,

Gen1 currently has no UMSP. See here.

Do you know if it is possible to get UMSP on it or won't the hardware allow it ?
I saw that it needs an Apache webserver, and Gen1 users (like myself) should be able to get an Apache webserver up and running (via optware).
1.03.01-WDLXTV 0.5.8.1 + Cylent ShowcaseV2 Mod + pure-ftpd + nfs
Alicia
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:38 am

I guess the reason why it doesn't work is because the OSD doesn't support "Media Servers", so it doesn't support UPNP devices. Without this support I think there is little that can be done to enable UMSP. (UMSP just emulates a "remote" UPNP device).
mad_ady
Developer

Postby Alicia » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:28 am

Hmm, that makes a lot of sense.
So we need something to get an extra entry on the menu, like wdtvext ?
1.03.01-WDLXTV 0.5.8.1 + Cylent ShowcaseV2 Mod + pure-ftpd + nfs
Alicia
DLX'er

Postby mad_ady » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:48 am

My guess is that you don't need just the menu entry, but also the back-end processes that can pass UPNP data to the media player.
From the debugging I've seen in live, movie playback seems to be done by calling UPNP functions, even if the file is local. So, everything is built on top of UPNP.

I guess the Gen1 player works differently (can you start it in debug mode like you can the live player?) and UPNP is not built in. In this case, the first thing to try out would be to try to play a video from a network URL. If there is a command that can do that, then it could be conceived that once could build a wdtvext (do they work on your firmware?) plugin that could interface with UMSP and present the menus and content to the media player in a way that works.

But, as you can see, there are many ifs.

If you want to play, you could start by trying to start the mediaplayer process in debug mode and to play a video:
Code: Select all
killall MediaLogic
MediaLogic AV MSGL_DBG

Otherwise, if there is no easy way to play from a specified URL, once could try various tricks with pipe files where the pipe is fed the video content and the player process reads the pipe like a regular file...
mad_ady
Developer

Return to Requests