Trouble with NFS mount.

The place for n00b questions, anything goes...no n00b too n00bish.

Trouble with NFS mount.   

Postby Raven » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:02 pm

I'm having a strange problem trying to mount an NFS share of an external drive hooked up to my Macbook. I enabled the share and checked it by running:

Code: Select all
sudo nfsd checkexports
showmount -e

Everything checks out. I tried adding the following to the net.mounts file:

xmount 192.168.0.105:/Volumes/Media/ Media nfs

Didn't work. Then I decided to forget the net.mounts file for now and just try to mount it manually via telnet. After inputing the command, everything seems to work fine, there's no error given back about bad paths or anything. In the WDTV Live's interface though, nothing shows up under Netwrok Shares. Here's the weird part though, I telnet back in and check the /tmp/media/usb/Media/ and all my stuff is there. So it seems like it's mounted. I can see all the files in telnet, but nothing is showing up in the WDTV Live's interface.

Anybody have any idea how to fix this?

Update: I added the following line to the net.mounts file.

xmount 192.168.0.105:/Volumes/Media/ Media nfs

The mount still didn't show up in the interface, but again when I telnet it, I can navigate to /tmp/media/usb/Media and all my stuff is there. Then I renamed net.mounts on purpose and rebooted. When I did that, I could only get to /tmp/media/usb and then it's empty. So net.mounts definitely gets loaded (I was worried maybe I saved it in a bad format) and the mount is actually mounted. Just can't see it in the Network Shares interface.
Raven
n00b

Re: Trouble with NFS mount.   

Postby b-rad.cc » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:44 pm

you misunderstand how it works.

xmount is for mounting whatever at /tmp/media/usb, so that it appears under local folders when you have a device attached like a flash stick or hard drive. If you don't have anything attached then you won't see anything.

Network shares is completely different. They are mounted at /tmp/<server name>/<share name>. If you want an NFS to show up there you'll have to go the cifs-interceptor route. Heres a link to that: http://b-rad.cc/cifs-interceptor

If your net.mounts aren't showing up at boot grep for WTF in /tmp/messages.txt and if they are failing this means your net is not coming up fast enough. So add some delay and reboot:
config_tool -c NET_MOUNTS_DELAY=20
config_tool -s
reboot
PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
:mrgreen:
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby Raven » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:43 pm

Hey Brad, thanks for replying. You were right, I misunderstood and looked for it in Network Shares when it was supposed to be in local. I looked at messages.txt and I did find WTF. I ran the command you gave me and the WTF is gone now, but I still don't see the mount anywhere in the menu. This is what messages.txt says about xmount:

user.notice xmount: xmounted 192.168.0.105:/Volumes/Media/Video Video nfs soft,intr

Then just a little bit after:

user.warn xmount: partition with label (Video) already mounted!

Could that warning be why I can't see it in the menu? I tried changing the name and the path but it always says the same thing.
Raven
n00b

Postby Raven » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:59 am

Seems like updating to the new firmware solved the problem.
Raven
n00b

Postby iMoJo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:11 pm

b-rad.cc wrote:If your net.mounts aren't showing up at boot grep for WTF in /tmp/messages.txt and if they are failing this means your net is not coming up fast enough. So add some delay and reboot:
config_tool -c NET_MOUNTS_DELAY=20
config_tool -s
reboot

I had a problem with NFS shares automount since 0.4.1.9, NET_MOUNTS_DELAY helped me - thanks, b-rad!
iMoJo
WDTVer

Return to n00b central