Can I access my player from the internet

The place for n00b questions, anything goes...no n00b too n00bish.

Can I access my player from the internet   

Postby EvilWayz » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:55 am

I assume all I have to know is my external UP and what port to go to.
EvilWayz
WDTVer

Re: Can I access my player from the internet   

Postby mad_ady » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:00 am

It's more complicated than that. You're probably behind NAT (e.g. have a private IP like 192.168.x.y). If this is the case you'll need to set up port forwarding on your router to map the WDTV's private IP:port combination to a public port. E.g. if your public IP on your router is 22.14.59.4 you can map port 1111 to point to your wdtv's private IP 192.168.1.10 on port 80. If you access 22.14.59.4:1111 you will be taken to 192.168.1.10:80.
But this is a function of your router, not of the WDTV.
Optionally you can set up a VPN on your router (e.g. OpenVPN) and connect via a secure connection, which is always a good idea.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby kroetkroet » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:32 am

If you enable UuPnP on WDTV and on your router, then huppa, your WD webinterface is enabled to the internetz!
WDLXTV-fan! - In case you need further assistance: read our WIKI, search our Forum and most of all: donate 'something' to b-rad for his great efforts!!!
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Postby mad_ady » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:53 pm

kroetkroet wrote:If you enable UuPnP on WDTV and on your router, then huppa, your WD webinterface is enabled to the internetz!

That's not how this works! (I think). UPnP can be used by a process to create temporary port forwardings. But the WDTV doesn't do this. Could be a feature, though - but I doubt you'd want to have the WDTV's web interface exposed to the internet. Even with passwords changed there must be some security issues we're not aware of :)

@kroetkroet: When you reach 1000 posts you'll be officially named King of WDLXTV so that I can step down and retire... I'm rooting for you :P
mad_ady
Developer

Postby kroetkroet » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:46 am

I can guarantee that I had jumped 2.000 km in the air when I, accendentially ran a GRC scan on my IP - webpage found! Through my 4g, I quickly discovered the WDTV webinterface :shock: I did change to an UPnP router recently, but the overruled my precious security system, so everybody should disable that UPnP thing!

PS. Yay! Still 9 posts to go ;-)
WDLXTV-fan! - In case you need further assistance: read our WIKI, search our Forum and most of all: donate 'something' to b-rad for his great efforts!!!
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Return to n00b central