Installing downloaded plugins...how on earth?

The place for n00b questions, anything goes...no n00b too n00bish.

Installing downloaded plugins...how on earth?   

Postby alfiebear » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:06 pm

In case I have missed some obvious link after searching untold web pages re installing required plugins into wdlxtv all I have been able to do (re ffmpeg as an example) is to be directed to a download page for this item. After doing that exactly what does one do with the downloaded item which is sitting on the Linux system I am using to configure the WD TV webend stuff?
alfiebear
WDTVer

Re: Installing downloaded plugins...how on earth?   

Postby mad_ady » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:47 am

To install app.bins (such as ffmpeg) you need to do the following:
1. Have a fairly recent firmware (>0.5.0.0)
2. Have a USB flash drive plugged in when booting (the app.bins are stored on the USB drive)
3. Navigate to the webend -> Addons -> app.bins (your WDTV needs to be connected to the network)
4. Identify the app.bin you want from the list -> select sda1/sdb1 (depending on the case) from the dropdown next to it
5. Click Save. The app.bin gets downloaded and is activated
6. Check that there is a check mark next to it so that it is enabled.
7. Profit (the binaries are usually accessible via shell under /apps/)

Or, if you don't have an internet connection to your wdtv, you save the app.bin file to the root of your USB drive, plug in the drive into the WDTV and boot it up. The app.bin will be automatically activated.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby alfiebear » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:28 pm

Thankyou once again - I shall try this later today.
alfiebear
WDTVer

Postby alfiebear » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:49 pm

Apologies if I have done something dumb but I have followed your steps 1-4. I assumed the usb needs to be plugged into the WD before booting...

In webend/add-bins on ffmpeg I select sda1 (which the drive is on in the WD) but cannot find a Save function only Apply Changes on the bottom. I selected that and nothing seems to have happened re install as unable to set Enabled and State says Uninstalled. I checked the USB drive and there is actually an app.bin file on it.

btw I am not quite sure what Step 7 Profit.... means :?
alfiebear
WDTVer

Postby alfiebear » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:03 pm

Further to above post...

I managed to telnet into the WD and under /apps I can see ffmpeg...so does this mean it is installed and I just cannot change the Stae to say so?
alfiebear
WDTVer

Postby alfiebear » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:19 pm

Still trying....I had removed the usb drive from the WD to check if app.bin was on it and I rebooted the WD with the drive inserted. This time when I went to the webend apps.bin and specified the usb drive and hit Apply Changes I saw on the browser screen a message to say it was installing ffmpeg etc. When this had finished I checked the webend/apps.bin page but I still get Not Installed and cannot change the Enabled status. Is there some way to see if in fact it is installed on the WD?
alfiebear
WDTVer

Postby alfiebear » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:15 pm

Ok I have now given up on this issue. Have tried via webend and manual via boot with usb containing the app.bin. No matter what, the webend/Addons manager says the app is Not Installed and cannot set Status to enabled. maybe its a bug in the webend/addons manager page as webend/Configurator/Apps Installed lists it as installed.

Anybody else has similar problems with apps/plugins?
alfiebear
WDTVer

Postby alfiebear » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:55 pm

Latest on this saga is that webend/configurater/apps say it is now NOT installed.

Is there ANYBODY out there who can assist with this problem?
alfiebear
WDTVer

Postby mad_ady » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:08 pm

I haven't seen this bug before. To check that an app.bin is installed you need to check that you can find a file such as ffmpeg.app.bin in the root of your USB drive. All files ending in .app.bin will be loaded on startup and you should see their contents under /apps/<app-name>. Also, if the app has binaries they should be in your path. The webend uses some scripts to gather this information - it is possible that you stumbled on a bug.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby alfiebear » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:20 am

Thankyou for reply. Situ is as follows...

I have usb with the ffmpeg.app.bin file in its root with nothing else (a query here - I have seen in some blogs that plugins should be on usb formatted as ext3 whereas mine is fat32..?) and I have booted the WP with the usb stcik in sdb1. I can not see at this point via telnet to the WD that ffmpeg is in the /apps folder on the WD however.

If I next go to webend Addons Manager/Applications and select ffmpeg and change state Not Installed to sdb1 and then Apply Changes on the bottom the screen goes blank with downloading from 10.0.0.11 (my WD) on the bottom then Installing ffmpeg from Main on sdb1...Done followed by Operations Completed on top. Addons screen is refreshed and ffmpeg in list says Not Installed and cannot alter Enabled which is blank. If I now via Telnet go to the WD and list /apps i can see ffmpeg.

If I reboot the WD (with usb still in by the way) and reload webend and go to Configuration/Apps it shows under Installed applications ffmpeg 7.0.1-1.1. Under Addons Manager/Applications for ffmpeg it still shows Not Installed and cannot alter Enabled which is still blank. Telnet WD /apps still shows ffmpeg...
alfiebear
WDTVer

Next

Return to n00b central