Attached USB drive/s

The place for n00b questions, anything goes...no n00b too n00bish.

Attached USB drive/s   

Postby alfiebear » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:20 pm

The WD TV Live "stock" firmware used to show attached USB drive/s. I have installed latest WDLXTV firmware and cannot see my locally connected USB drive in settings etc. Does the unit need a powered USB drive or is there a new firmware configuration setting I need to look at?
alfiebear
WDTVer

Re: Attached USB drive/s   

Postby alfiebear » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:25 pm

Some more info...the drive is shown in the webend settings and I have also set it to mount at when the WD is turned on but it is still not shown in Settings/Video menu on the WD. I read a topic where the user said they had to turn the USB drive off and on again each time so it would be recognised....?? Perhaps I should go back to webend settings and specify to turn USB ports off when the WD is shutdown then at startup it might find it?

Any thoughts anybody?
alfiebear
WDTVer

Postby mad_ady » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:49 am

I've never seen USB drives under OSD settings. You should see them (if you have content on it) under Video -> Local disks.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby alfiebear » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:22 pm

Sorry I meant the OSD Menu/Video not Settings/Video. However I can see the drive on webend Available Disks but not on the OSD Video UNLESS the drive is removed after powering off and then reconnected after powering on in which case the USB light is visible on the WD. If the usb drive is left on when powering off and then powering on again it does not appear in OSD Video. The USB light does flash when the WD is powering up then disappears.

I have tried setting webend System/USB_POWER_OFF to Turn Off 5v USB bus which it does but the usb drive is still not visible in the OSD Video after powering back on.

However I think I have found a solution - I set webend System/USB_OSD_EJECT_BEFORE_POWER_OFF to Yes and tried powering off/on and the OSD Video shows the drive and the USB light is on the WD.

If this continues to work ok I am a "happy camper" as they say... :lol:

Lastly I also reset USB_POWER_OFF to Leave USB Powered - not sure about that, should I leave it at my original setting of Turn Off 5v USB bus as well? I prefer not to have power going to the usb devices when the system is powered off but that is just me.
alfiebear
WDTVer

Postby mad_ady » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:05 pm

Yes, you need to gracefully eject the disk before shutdown, otherwise NTFS filesystems will be dirty and may not mount on boot. The USB_OSD_EJECT_BEFORE_POWER_OFF was meant for this task. USB_POWER_OFF is desired if your HDD gets hot during standby - it should help it live longer.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby alfiebear » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:05 pm

All good then. Thanks for your assistance. Consider this issue closed.
alfiebear
WDTVer

Return to n00b central