WDTV Live doesn't boot after TV shutdown

The place for n00b questions, anything goes...no n00b too n00bish.

WDTV Live doesn't boot after TV shutdown   

Postby Thrustmaster » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:06 am

Hi everyone!

I've the latest 1.05.04_V.WDLXTV_LIVE-0.5.2.2 on my wdtv live flashed. I've used my player since late through component cables, as i had an older tv and had no problems with it at all.
Now i've bought a new TV (Samsung UE40JU6550) and having now some issues with my player. When i shutdown the player aswell as the tv, the wdtv won't be able to boot again with the remote. I have always to unplug it, so it can reboot.
If i don't shutdown the tv, my wdtv is able to boot again after i send it to standby. so the problem is always, when my tv is shut down, the wdtv seems to freeze, as it won't react to anything when i press the power botton on my remote.

After i rebooted it, the wdtv player also wents always to Composite (PAL) in the video settings, even though i've a good hdmi plugged in. I can change the hdmi settings again to 1080p that is no problem. The only problem is so, that the player freezes or can't boot after i've shut down the tv and started it again. It seems it has any tv output problems or something?

So, what can i do to solve this problem? I have a lot of sheets on my harddiscs, so it costs so much time until it loaded everything up after the un-plug action. With my older tv i never had this problem and i hadn't to unplug the player to be able to control it again.

maybe some expert has any idea for it. i really would appreciate any help. thank you very much in advance :)
Thrustmaster
n00b

Re: WDTV Live doesn't boot after TV shutdown   

Postby mad_ady » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:58 pm

What firmware are you running?

I think I know what happens, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

When you turn off your TV the HDMI stops and this may cause the OSD process in the WDTV to crash. If the OSD crashes the WDTV appears to be dead - not responding to remote. But it's not so... you should still have network/ssh/web access (unless maybe if you are connected via Wifi - in which case your mileage may vary - the wifi stack might crash with the OSD as well). If network is still up you can restart just the OSD (without rebooting the unit) by using the "Restart OSD" link in the web interface.

However, this might not be the best solution, since the OSD still crashes... Also, the crash seems to corrupt your config, since you start off in composite mode

On 1.02 based firmwares you have a replacement for the HDMI handshaking process and you can force your own values to bypass WD's autodetection. But I'm not guaranteeing it works.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby Thrustmaster » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:14 am

I'm using the 1.05.04 WDLXTV 0.5.2.2

Your tip worked with restarting the OSD through the Webend - so thank you very much!

Unfortunately the HDMI settings are always going back to 'Composite', so the HDMI force configure won't work.
As I don't have any Wifi Stick, i'm running my wdtv through a lan cable plugged on my PC. As you say, it's not that fun always to go there and to restart the OSD, but still much better then waiting half an hour until every sheet is loaded.

Do you think this 'bug' can be solved in future? Or shouldn't I wait for a solution?

Thanks again a lot for your help. Much appreciated :)
Thrustmaster
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:29 am

I don't think you should expect any clean solution (the problem lies in WD's binary OSD - which has been end of life for a while). We could look into alternatives...

If you have shell access, could you do this?
Code: Select all
# OSD set to HDMI
cat /conf/config > /tmp/config.working
# now crash the OSD and restart it without restarting the WDTV
# leave it on composite for now
cat /conf/config > /tmp/config.composite
diff /tmp/config.working /tmp/config.composite

... and paste the output here. With a bit of luck you can create a "watchdog" script that detects when OSD crashes and sets the correct configuration and restarts the OSD. That would be a workaround that could be more tolerable.

Or... see if your TV understands HDMI-CEC and configure it to send a "Power off" message to the WDTV when you turn off the TV. I haven't done it and don't know if the WDTV actually supports HDMI-CEC, but its worth a try (could be a cleaner solution).

By the way, does the OSD crash if you first turn off the WDTV before the TV?
mad_ady
Developer

Postby chico » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:11 pm

i'm running into this issue...how do i restart OSD from web interface or SSH? i don't see an option from web interface. Whenever i change inputs on my receiver the WDTV box won't come back unless i restart it. doesn't matter if i put the device in stand before switching inputs.
chico
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:37 pm

Oh, it's been a while... As far as I remember, restarting DMAOSD may hang the box because it fails to release some memory. Best bet would be to reboot completely.
mad_ady
Developer

Return to n00b central