HDMI Handshake? Totally Confused...

The place for n00b questions, anything goes...no n00b too n00bish.

Re: HDMI Handshake? Totally Confused...   

Postby playmo77 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:50 am

Yes i think you definitely understand my problem.

To answer your questions :

My Tv is a Sony 55x9005B the Fw is up to date. I tried all the HDMI port (some have different features like ARC for instance).

If I power off the WD then the TV, the unit will work until I turn on the TV again. Actually it doesn't seem to matter which is turn off first it seems that the issue only occurs when i turn the tv back on (Or on first boot for the wd tv live if the tv is off DMAOSD will crash once Tv is turned on ).

Let say I want to put in place such a script, what should i look for ? <LGActions command failed> ?

Should i create a deamon or something similar ? wouldn't it be too much ? would it impact overall performances ? What about the available space on the unit regarding the logs ?

Right now I use the web interface to reboot DMAOSD it s not ideal but works for now (calling the page directly is pretty fast) but many settings are reverted which means I need to set them back again (Resolution, frame rate, colors etc ...)
playmo77
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:21 pm

Hmm, if I were to have your problem, I think I'd do the following script (pseudocode):
Code: Select all
#prevent startup problems with dmaosd startup
sleep 10
while [ 1 ];
do
  pids=`pidof dmaosd`
  if [ -z "$pids" ]; then
     logger -s "DMAOSD is dead. Restarting"
     /etc/init.d/S70dmaosd stop
     /etc/init.d/S70dmaosd start &
  fi
  sleep 30
done

It keeps checking for the pid of dmaosd. If it crashes, $pid will be empty and you can stop/start dmaosd again. Not sure why you lose your settings... Maybe /conf/config gets corrupted on dmasod crash? You could make a backup of /conf/config and compare it to the one visible when dmaosd has restarted. The above script could be run as part of S99user-script - it starts after DMAOSD on boot, so it shouldn't interfere (there's also a small sleep).

Note: code is not tested and most likely has syntax errors (I hate bash syntax) :)
mad_ady
Developer

Postby playmo77 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:03 pm

Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it.

I thought about it, did some tests and I think applying such script would do more harm than good.

The main problem I see is, since the unit is crashing when i turn off the TV, with the script it will turn back on every time I turn on the TV.

For now I am using my Ipad to trigger the restart of the unit, which is close enough to a remote.

That being said, I really like the wd tv live, I actually own two for almost five years. If I get bored with this solution I'll switch to a more configurable approach such as a raspberry PI.

But for now I will keep it as is. Thank you very much again and I hope this will help other people.
playmo77
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:17 pm

Not quite - the script would turn on dmaosd after it crashes - independent on TV state. If DMAOSD keeps crashing while TV is off, then yes, it would be a bad solution. Out of curiosity, does DMAOSD crash if you try with firmware 1.06? Maybe it's a DMAOSD bug that got fixed...
mad_ady
Developer

Postby playmo77 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:13 pm

What i meant was : WDTV live while sleeping listens to HDMI changes, which means that every time i will turn my tv on again DMAOSD will crash then it will restart with the script, even when i don't want to use it.

I did not try official fw because I don't want to lose NFS sharing, but maybe I'll give it a try some day if I have a minute.

Is there a plan to release a new version of this firmware based on 1.6 ?
playmo77
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:31 pm

Yes, the port for the new firmware has started, but work was halted for 3-4 months due to lack of time. Hopefully I will have more time this winter to continue the work.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby playmo77 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:27 am

Thanks again very much for your work, I'll give this a try when your work will be online and post the results !
playmo77
n00b

Postby playmo77 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:40 am

I don't if that can be interesting to anybody but I thought I would post it just in case.

Now that I upgraded other part of my set up (AV receiver and also another TV), I am confident in affirming that my issue is caused by the HDCP2.2, this explains why it was working properly using an HDMI switch but now doesn't work properly with both of my TVs (4k tvs HDCP2.2) and also My AV receiver (HDCP 2.2) as well.

I don't know if this can or has been fixed since nowadays it is hard to find a new TV which isn't 4k.

For now i am using the reboot option from the webapp and it works.
playmo77
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:19 am

A 3 year comeback. Not bad... Not bad at all :D
mad_ady
Developer

Postby playmo77 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:06 am

Better Late than never, right ? ;)

I changed my bedroom tv yesterday, which confirmed what I explained in my previous post, I figured, maybe it could help someone.

Am I the first one to have issue with HDCP2.2 or maybe people just moved to another more recent machine ...
playmo77
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to n00b central