Does the latest firmware support "DV" codec ?

The place for n00b questions, anything goes...no n00b too n00bish.

Does the latest firmware support "DV" codec ?   

Postby pfm » Tue May 19, 2015 9:44 am

Does the latest firmware support the DV codec ? This is the codec for MiniDV camcorders. Typically DV footage is captured onto a pc in a AVI format containing the video in DV codec.
Thanks.
pfm
n00b

Re: Does the latest firmware support "DV" codec ?   

Postby mad_ady » Tue May 19, 2015 10:53 pm

I don't know. You should check the official firmware supported format guide. This firmware does not add extra formats.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby pfm » Thu May 21, 2015 6:23 am

Thank you for your reply.
By official if you mean the stock firmware then no it does not support dv codec.
What is the limitation for adding a new supported codec in wdlxtv firmware ? Is it prohibitively difficult ? or not technically possible at all ?

There are many software/freeware dv decoders out there. I dont understand why not a single hardware device supports it. I know its old and probably dead but still there is a lot of media out there in dv format and a lot of people looking out for such a device.
pfm
n00b

Postby KAD » Thu May 21, 2015 7:50 am

most devices, this one included use hardware decoding

so the only way to change codecs is to replace the hardware
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby mad_ady » Thu May 21, 2015 10:21 pm

In theory you could use something like ffmpeg to transcode from dv codec to something supported by the WDTV (like AVC) and play back the content. There have been experiments with on-the-fly conversion for unsupported codecs. The problem is the WDTV's main CPU is underpowered and can't handle real-time transcoding so in the end you end up with a 2-3fps video stream. If you need more details or want to experiment yourself I can dig out the links...
mad_ady
Developer

Postby pfm » Mon May 25, 2015 2:27 pm

Thanks. I am familiar with transcoding and I convert the dv video to MPEG-2 or Mkv and play it on a device that supports. What I am trying to do is eliminate the transcoding altogether and play the original.
pfm
n00b

Return to n00b central