[Solved] Very bad things, may have bricked my wdtv +

The place for n00b questions, anything goes...no n00b too n00bish.

[Solved] Very bad things, may have bricked my wdtv +   

Postby EvilWayz » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:21 pm

HI.

I had a previous version of this homebrew on my box and it worked fine. Haven't used it in several years, dusted it off today because my desktop crapped the bed. Being a meddler, I checked to see if there was a new firmware version, and there was, but when i tried to update to it ti said that my version was current. Which it was not so I went to the mirror, downloaded the files, put them on an usb stick and stuck it in the box and it found it and asked if I wanted to upgrade. I said yes, and it said rebooting. WHen it came back on it went to the WD screen for a very lomg time, and then the tv turned off and displayed the no signal screensaver. I left it there for about an hour and then like a dumbass I power cycled it thinking it was stuck. Now if I start it with no usb stick in it stays stuck at the WD screen, and if i stick one in i get this multi language screen that says insert usb device to restore firmware ( but there is already a usb stick in there and I don't have another one.) It never came back after rebooting or gave me a screen with a status bar or even the wdlxtv screen, just the regular WD screen.

I read the bricking guide and it didn't make any sense to me. I did read something about recovery flash mode but didn't see anything on how to get there yet ( still reading though.) So do I have a really expensive paperweight on my hands or can someone help me out? I now have nothing to watch movies on since the pc is dead too. This should teach me not to meddle, but it probably won't.
Last edited by EvilWayz on Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvilWayz
WDTVer

Re: Very bad things, may have bricked my wdtv +   

Postby mad_ady » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:47 am

Ok, it would help if we had the following information:
WDTV Type
Old version
New version you manually downloaded/installed
The version you were prompted to install as a web update

If when the device boots you are presented with a screen in multiple languages asking you to put a valid firmware, then you should do so (you can use either a stock firmware, or WDLXTV). Otherwise, if it is still stuck, you may need a serial cable to troubleshoot further.

P.S. Also try to boot with the reset button (on the side) pressed
mad_ady
Developer

Re: Very bad things, may have bricked my wdtv +   

Postby EvilWayz » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:50 am

Not sure how or why but when I woke up this morning my box works and has the newest firmware on it. I left the usb stick in overnight so maybe it just took it's sweet time rebooting and upgrading. Happily watching Firefly right now.

For future reference did you need a model number? All I know is it's wdtv plus, and it runs the 5.1.1. firmware from 2012. Waiting on the flash version of the newest.
EvilWayz
WDTVer

Re: [Solved] Very bad things, may have bricked my wdtv +   

Postby mad_ady » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:33 am

The newest is 0.5.2.0, but if you want to beta test it first, drop me a pm
mad_ady
Developer

Return to n00b central