WDTV Live as standalone sling player. Is this possible?

The place for n00b questions, anything goes...no n00b too n00bish.

WDTV Live as standalone sling player. Is this possible?   

Postby digimon900 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:07 am

Hi technical nerds, geeks, and other renowned experts in software and firmware for consumer devices.
I have WDTV Live - several of them in fact. I use only one function - the slingplayer.
What I want to know is can the WDTV Live be stripped of all the menus and apps so that I switch on and get slingplayer and only slingplayer?
Can one of you knowledgable people design me a firmware that does this and only this?
I am pretty knowledgable at things like installing and removing firmware and can follow instructions to set the thing up.
I do not have the technical knowledge that would be needed to create this scenario - but could easily apply a file or follow instructions to achieve it.
I have blocked all the other apps in the parental controls to minimize clutter, but what I really want is NO WDTV MENUS OR INTERFACES.
The moon and planets on the startup are fine if they have to be there.
Any ideas welcomed.

Thanks

Quick Edit: I am only interested in using Ethernet so any wifi coding is unnecessary - if that helps
digimon900
n00b

Re: WDTV Live as standalone sling player. Is this possible?   

Postby recliq » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:38 am

Short answer: No.

Longer answer:
This is not possible without changes in the core GUI application, which is signed (thus not changeable by us).
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Return to n00b central