[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4326: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4328: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4329: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4330: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
issues with autores, rtorrent, subtitle dl

The place for n00b questions, anything goes...no n00b too n00bish.

Postby fguy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:39 pm

Last edited by fguy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wdtv live with 1.02.21 v 0.5.0.0 wdlxtv firmware
fguy
WDTVer

Re: issues with autores, rtorrent, subtitle dl   

Postby mad_ady » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:47 pm

Regarding 4 and 5:
4) The subtitle search feature uses a hash program to do the search. The hash program computes a hash based on the first and last 64K of data in your movie. Based on that hash it returns the results from opensubtitles.org. It will not find a correct subtitle if the video has been transcoded or edited. It will also not find subtitles that were associated to a different movie release.

5) In theory you can't turn off the HDD when using app.bins and rtotrrent/transmission because you would need to unmount the disk first. In practice you can, but you run the slight risk of data corruption (especially corrupted torrents). I use an ext3 1G flash drive and I constantly power off without unmounting (for 2 years now) with no ill effects. Details here: http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Power_settings/Standby
mad_ady
Developer

Postby fguy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:11 pm

hi mad_ady

- all the subs i've looked for are torrent dl's so wont they be all transcoded/edited. how come its able to find the avi ones (usually tv shows) but the hd movies it has an issue?

- so do u just give the enhanced standby command & when it's in standby mode switch off the power? do you stop/pause running torrents before doing that (cause they would unnecessarily verify data on restart otherwise, right)? also would this be better practice or simply giving the reboot command & then powering off just as the WD splash screen comes on?

any clue on the autores issue coz thats the most inconvenient of the problems?

edit : just tried the enhanced standby & it didnt work. went to the thread in the wiki & it seems i will have to downgrade the kernel but will then loose swapfile feature which i need coz without it rtorrent can barely load very few torrents at a time. would the reboot/shut down method be as safe?
fguy
WDTVer

Postby mad_ady » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:51 am

I wouldn't recommend that you do enhanced standby when using rtorrent. It increases the chances of data corruption.
You can reboot the box and power off from the mains when it is in bootloader screen.

Regarding the subtitles - try to see if you can find/download subtitles with SubDownloader (http://subdownloader.net/) or equivalent.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby fguy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:37 pm

just to clarify "bootloader screen" is the large blue&white WD logo that comes on at the beginning right? also is this a safe practice? the reason i'm asking is that this is my 2nd wdtv unit which i got after RMA'ing my first one after this happened -

http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7626

i wasnt able to pinpoint the cause of the first primary issue & i'm just wondering if this reboot/shut down procedure can somehow damage the firmware/kernel/hardware...
fguy
WDTVer

Postby mad_ady » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:38 am

From the box's point of view, pulling the power is safe any time except when flashing a firmware. The internal NAND that stores the firmware/bootloader is usually read-only and becomes writable only when flashing.
From your attached HDD's point of view, it's safe to pull power only when it's unmounted. If you are using app.bins, you will not be able to unmount it before unloading the app.bins. The unload is attempted as part of the shutdown script, but some app.bins may be difficult to kill, so there is no guarantee they will be unmounted. That's why it's safer to pull power during the bootloader screen (in my opinion, at least).

Somebody more knowledgeable please correct me.
mad_ady
Developer

Postby fguy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:42 pm

thanks for that mad_ady puts my mind at ease then. now if i can only fix the autores issue then i can (hopefully) stop fiddling around with configuring the wdtv & just use it ;)

also, just to confirm - "bootloader screen" is the large blue&white WD logo that comes on at the beginning right?
fguy
WDTVer

Postby mad_ady » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:20 pm

mad_ady
Developer

Postby fguy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:29 pm

muchas gracias :)
fguy
WDTVer

Postby fguy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:19 pm

i've posted a workaround/fix for my autores issue (incase if someone faces a similar problem) on http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=897&p=65965#p65965
fguy
WDTVer

Return to n00b central