WDLXTV LIVE Firmware Flashing

The place for n00b questions, anything goes...no n00b too n00bish.

Re: WDLXTV LIVE Firmware Flashing   

Postby Grim Reaper » Tue May 14, 2013 6:43 am

I've got my router setup with a DNS service that causes the BBC servers to provide content including for iPlayer which works very well on my computer. I read that there was a beta version of WD official firmware for the WDTV Live (not Plus) that has iPlayer but is there an iPlayer add-on for the Plus?

ebo wrote:
Grim Reaper wrote:Now I want to get iPlayer for the BBC working on it. Any ideas?

Probably the biggest hurdle, if you're not in the UK, is that most BBC programming is streamed only to UK IP addresses. Some people get around that by going through a VPN with a UK server. Of course the BBC knows that it happens so they try to stop it by blocking the IP addresses of VPNs they know about. What works today might not work tomorrow.

I haven't tried to use a VPN with my WDTV. It's probably easy but someone else will have to help you with the details.

Edit: The wiki has a section on using VPNs.
Grim Reaper
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Tue May 14, 2013 9:46 pm

I've seen the beta that added iplayer support on the live (but I haven't tested that it actually worked), but as far as I know it was swiftly removed and didn't make it in the final version... I don't know if they added it for plus as well...
mad_ady
Developer

Postby forzaf1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:53 pm

Folks - need your help.

I was running original WD Live Plus firmware and then upgraded to 1.05.04_B.WDLXTV_PLUS-0.5.1.1

I want to install MovieSheets and based on what I have read I need to bring the WD box back to; 1.02.21 WD Firmware.

I downloaded the firmware based on MovieSheets URL and went about formatting my USB key to FAT 32.

I then extracted the zip, put everything into root and made the change to the ver file as follows;

VERSION='1.20.04.WDLXTV_LIVE-0.4.2.0'

LOCATION='wdtvlive.bin'

The box won't pickup that there is new firmware. I tried shutting off the box for 1 minute, then inserting USB, then powering up, etc. etc. Nothing.

Anyone can shed some light on this....

Thanks.
forzaf1
n00b

Postby ebo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:13 am

The firmware you're trying to install is for the Live, not the Plus. There is no equivalent version for the Plus so you can't run Moviesheets. You can run Linksheets.
ebo
Donor

Postby tjoebgen » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:16 am

ebo wrote:The firmware you're trying to install is for the Live, not the Plus. There is no equivalent version for the Plus so you can't run Moviesheets. You can run Linksheets.

It depends on the model number. The generation 2 Live and Live Plus are supported by MovieSheets+
I just bought a used one (WDBABX0000NBK) and am in the (lengthy) process of (learning) getting it setup for the 1.02.21-EXT3-BOOT_LIVE-0.5.1.1.
tjoebgen
n00b

Postby recliq » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:20 pm

It's pretty simple, once you flashed ANY version of WDLXTV to your Plus, you can boot the EXT images from usb (you just can't boot from usb with stock firmware).
IIRC you can boot the 1.02.21-EXT image on Plus but of course you lose netfilx for the time running 1.02.21. To return to Plus firmware simply remove the usb drive with the EXT image.
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby mrxo » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:37 pm

Hi,

can anyone know if WDTV Live Hub what Gen and firmware?

i try install firmware in with usb formate to f32 WDTV didnt pop up say new firmware nor install?

thanks

sorry for my english
mrxo
n00b

Postby mad_ady » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:15 am

There is no custom firmware for Live Hub. See the wiki for help - there are alternate mods
mad_ady
Developer

Previous

Return to n00b central