WDLXTV LIVE Firmware Flashing

The place for n00b questions, anything goes...no n00b too n00bish.

Re: WDLXTV LIVE Firmware Flashing   

Postby Damiendec » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:48 am

Ok! Thank you.
Damiendec
n00b

Postby ele007 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:25 am

Hello,

I heard from this great firmware today.

But i am not able to upgrade to that. Before you respond that i have to read the manual and the wiki, i´ve done it... often...

I´ve got WD Live TV (WDBGXT...)

On the device is the original firmware 1.14.09 (i am from germany if its necessary )

I downloaded this version from this page 1.05.04_V-WDLXTV-Live-0.5.1.1 [flash]
Now what i´ve done

I put the three important files on the stick (I also put all files on the stick)
I rename the firmware number to 2.01.04 and safe it..
I also tried it with two other sticks...
I also renamed the files and the LOCATED directory to other names, like given on the wd homepage...

further i loaded a downgrade package to try... When i put this on the sticks, the device pops up new firmware upgrade available...

Please help me, what have i done wrong?
ele007
n00b

Postby ebo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:11 pm

ele007 wrote:I heard from this great firmware today.

But i am not able to upgrade to that. Before you respond that i have to read the manual and the wiki, i´ve done it... often...

But not carefully. On the main page of the wiki, scroll down a bit to "Not supported devices are: " and look for your model number.

ele007 wrote:I´ve got WD Live TV (WDBGXT...)

No, you have a Live Streaming, a.k.a. Gen 3. Different device. The gurus here are working on firmware for it, but it's far from ready. Follow this thread for progress: http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7663
ebo
Donor

Postby ele007 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:01 am

and for that its called noob central :P

thanks and sorry :P
ele007
n00b

Postby djnauticz » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:10 pm

how to flash my WDTVLive with WDLXTV ?
and how can i check if i flashed to WDLXTV or not ??
djnauticz
n00b

Postby kroetkroet » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:01 am

For what is worth, you are nominated as n00bieb00bie of the year :lol:

Did you even read the forum DO-NOT-READ-ME and the faboulous bullocks WIKI?

I suggest you remain on WD's stock firmware!
WDLXTV-fan! - In case you need further assistance: read our WIKI, search our Forum and most of all: donate 'something' to b-rad for his great efforts!!!
kroetkroet
Beta Tester

Postby Grim Reaper » Sun May 12, 2013 3:26 pm

I have a WDTV Live Plus.

I have tried to download 1.05.04_B-EXT3-BOOT-PLUS-0.5.1.1 but the website downloads a javascript instead which won't run due to a js error and I am suspect of it's purpose. I would like an alternative site to download from but haven't been able to locate one that works. Would someone please direct me to it.

Also, I did download the version of WDLXTV that updates the official firmware, changed the firmware version to 1.06.43_B so it is is higer than the WD version 1.06.42_B but it isn't recognized and/or won't run. I had formatted a USB flash drive and just unzipped the files to it but, no matter how I try to install WDLXTV, it won't. The WDTV device just wants to look for an online update. Is the newest WD official firmware preventing the installation of WDLXTV from the USB flash drive? Is there something I can do to install WDLXTV?
Grim Reaper
n00b

Postby ebo » Sun May 12, 2013 7:16 pm

Grim Reaper:
To run a non-flash version of WDLXTV you must first flash a version of WDLXTV. Official firmware doesn't know anything about running non-flash versions.

If the Download latest firmware link in the wiki doesn't work for you, try the one titled Download all firmware (mirror). It's slow but it doesn't hassle you with non-member delays.

If you have official firmware 1.06.42_B installed you can't flash any current version of WDLXTV directly. You must first downgrade to the previous official version. For the Plus that's 1.06.16_B. See this thread, keeping in mind that it's for the Live, not the Plus, so the version numbers are different.
ebo
Donor

Postby Grim Reaper » Mon May 13, 2013 1:23 pm

Thanks for your help ebo,

I managed to install WDLXTV over the WD official firmware version 1.06.42_B.

I unzipped the files to the root of my flash drive.
I modified the 1.05.04_B.WDLXTV_Plus-05.1.1 version file, I changed the version number to begin with the number 2 then added ROOTFS2='' (the double quote is actually two single quotes immediately next to each other):

VERSION='2.05.04_B.WDLXTV_PLUS-0.5.1.1'
LOCATION='wdtvlive2.bin'
ROOTFS2=''

It took a bit of time but it worked and the WDLXTV firmware version appears correctly in the WDTV Live Plus HD.

Since then, I got the EXT3-Boot version from here: http://bitsnoop.com/1-05-04-b-wdlxtv-com-ext3-boot-plus-q43968134.html (I used the bittorrent download) which came from this list: http://torrentz.eu/6b1e4e1270dede03611a3c22dc35e484c048c0a6

Now I want to get iPlayer for the BBC working on it. Any ideas?

ebo wrote:Grim Reaper:
To run a non-flash version of WDLXTV you must first flash a version of WDLXTV. Official firmware doesn't know anything about running non-flash versions.

If the Download latest firmware link in the wiki doesn't work for you, try the one titled Download all firmware (mirror). It's slow but it doesn't hassle you with non-member delays.

If you have official firmware 1.06.42_B installed you can't flash any current version of WDLXTV directly. You must first downgrade to the previous official version. For the Plus that's 1.06.16_B. See this thread, keeping in mind that it's for the Live, not the Plus, so the version numbers are different.
Grim Reaper
n00b

Postby ebo » Mon May 13, 2013 5:45 pm

Grim Reaper wrote:Now I want to get iPlayer for the BBC working on it. Any ideas?

Probably the biggest hurdle, if you're not in the UK, is that most BBC programming is streamed only to UK IP addresses. Some people get around that by going through a VPN with a UK server. Of course the BBC knows that it happens so they try to stop it by blocking the IP addresses of VPNs they know about. What works today might not work tomorrow.

I haven't tried to use a VPN with my WDTV. It's probably easy but someone else will have to help you with the details.

Edit: The wiki has a section on using VPNs.
ebo
Donor

PreviousNext

Return to n00b central