WDLXTV LIVE Firmware Flashing

The place for n00b questions, anything goes...no n00b too n00bish.

WDLXTV LIVE Firmware Flashing   

Postby CrashX » Fri May 14, 2010 11:35 am

WDLXTV LIVE Firmware Flashing:

1) Download latest WDLXTV-Live ( http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewforum.php?f=10 )
2) Copy the firmware files into USB FAT32 formated Drive ( FAT32 Format Utility -- http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,64963-page,1/description.html )Please DON'T use the HP Utility!
3) Make any changes to S00custom-options and smb.conf (only if needed, also changes can be made with webend config after flash is completed)
4) Plug USB Drive into WDTV LIVE
5) WDTV Live should say Firmware Found and Click on it and it will reboot. If it doesn't detect it, then you need to increase wdtvlive.ver to a higher number.

------wdtv.ver------
VERSION='1.02.21.WDLXTV_LIVE-0.4.2.0'
LOCATION='wdtvlive.bin'

probably you should change to

VERSION='1.20.04.WDLXTV_LIVE-0.4.2.0'
LOCATION='wdtvlive.bin'

6) After reboot, it will flash the firmware and reboot again.
7) Now you can unplug the usb drive

Now if you want write access and boot from USB drive:

1) Download EXT3-BOOT-Live ( http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewforum.php?f=10 )
2) Delete all files from USB drive and replace it with firmware files from EXT3-BOOT-LIVE
3) Make any changes to S00custom-options and smb.conf.
4) Add any additional app.bin to the USB Drive
5) Plug USB Drive into WDTV LIVE
6) Power cycle the device
7) It should now boot as EXT3-BOOT-LIVE
8) LEAVE THE USB DRIVE PLUGGED IN AT ALL TIMES
Last edited by recliq on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed advice to use HP Utility
CrashX
Global Moderator

Re: WDLXTV LIVE Firmware Flashing   

Postby Stamba » Sat May 22, 2010 11:06 am

In my case it's necessary to unplug WDTV Live from power before inserting USB with new firmware. Of course then you have to plug it again :-)

If I do not make physical unplug I do not get menu "New firmware".

Stamba
Stamba
n00b

Postby mabalasik » Sun May 23, 2010 8:07 pm

Stamba

If you already installed "1.02.21_B-RAD.CC_WDLXTV_LIVE-0.4.2.0" firmware on your WDTV Live you can unplug the USD Drive..

But if you installed "1.02.21_B-RAD.CC_EXT3-BOOT_LIVE-0.4.2.0" USB Drive with EXT3-BOOT-Live files should always be plug to your WDTV Live.
mabalasik
n00b

Postby Stamba » Mon May 24, 2010 1:06 pm

I'm talking about pure flashing - if I just plug USB with new firmware nothing happens - no matter how much I wait. I have to unplug WDTV Live from power - turn off just on remote does not help! - and then when I turned it on (after some 10 secs) - it recognize that I have new firmware on my USB key. At least that's how it works in my case ...

Also I find out that I have to format my USB key every time - just deleting files does not help (and I'm using one old 128MB key just for flashing my WDTV). Or maybe it was when I waited "magic" (New firmware found) to happen - nevertheless my routine is (quick) format USB key, copy files, unplug WDTV from power, insert USB key, plug in power - and that's how it worked for me until now.

Stamba
Stamba
n00b

Postby mabalasik » Mon May 24, 2010 9:28 pm

Stamba

As instructed by CrushX

just make sure the USB is formatted to Fat32. no need to reformatted the usb drive all the time...

also once you extract the files and copied to USB, open the wdtv.ver files with notepad edit the following:

VERSION='1.02.21.WDLXTV_LIVE-0.4.2.0'

replace with
VERSION='1.20.04.WDLXTV_LIVE-0.4.2.0'

save the file insert the USB drive to WDTV Live PESTO!!!! it will detect the new firmware...
mabalasik
n00b

Postby Stamba » Tue May 25, 2010 9:44 am

It does not work in my case if I do not unplug power from WDTV and if USB stick is not reformated - that's all I wanted to say. It just does not work in my case without those steps! Do not understand why do you have problem with that?

Stamba

PS I know how to flash my WDTV and I did it more than a few times and moreover I'm, let put it that way, IT professional with some 15 years of professional experience - but it does not help mine WDTV to find/recognize new firmware if stick is not reformatted and unit was not unplugged from power previously ...
Stamba
n00b

Postby Wad2002 » Wed May 26, 2010 12:50 am

Stamba wrote:It does not work in my case if I do not unplug power from WDTV and if USB stick is not reformated - that's all I wanted to say. It just does not work in my case without those steps! Do not understand why do you have problem with that?

Stamba

PS I know how to flash my WDTV and I did it more than a few times and moreover I'm, let put it that way, IT professional with some 15 years of professional experience - but it does not help mine WDTV to find/recognize new firmware if stick is not reformatted and unit was not unplugged from power previously ...

Can you try going to the update option tunder settings>about and see if it comes up with an error.

I am having the exact same problem as you. If doesnt see any firmware via USB and the network update is telling me an error occured.
Wad2002
WDTVer

Postby Stamba » Wed May 26, 2010 11:35 am

Wad2002 wrote:
Stamba wrote:It does not work in my case if I do not unplug power from WDTV and if USB stick is not reformated - that's all I wanted to say.

Can you try going to the update option tunder settings>about and see if it comes up with an error.

I am having the exact same problem as you. If doesnt see any firmware via USB and the network update is telling me an error occured.

Try to format (quick is enough) to FAT32 your stick before copying files and unplug power cord between steps 5 & 6 (and before step 1 if you are making update of official firmware) for a 10-15 seconds. Then plug it again and check menu now - I got "New firmware found" menu. But I'm not sure are you talking about recovering WDTV from unsuccessful firmware update or just updating firmware (my case).

Not sure which "update option under settings>about" your are meaning - under update I do not have any menu - just "check for update", and About under Settings is working just fine. But I think that in b-rad firmware network update is disabled.

Stamba
Stamba
n00b

Postby memoryisram » Thu May 27, 2010 4:06 am

Oddly enough, even after following the instructions in the wiki and the various posts in the forums, I am unable to flash my WDTV Live to any other firmware version after flashing to the WDTV Live MIN.

Current version on my WDTV live = 1.01.24.WDLXTV_LIVE_MIN-0.4.1.9-6

I have a freshly formatted FAT32 USB stick with the following files on it from the official 1.03.01 firmware from WD:

wdtv.bin
wdtv.ver

The wdtv.ver file reads:

VERSION='1.03.01'
LOCATION='wdtv.bin'

--

Doing a hard power cycle (removing the power, placing the stick in, plugged the unit back in) lets it boot, but while I see USB activity, I never get the 'New Firmware Found' option.

I've tried changing the VERSION= to various things (1.30.24.WDLXTV_LIVE_MIN-0.4.1.9-6, 2.00) nothing seems to work. I've tried renaming wdtv.bin to wdtvlive.bin and then changing the LOCATION= name to wdtvlive.bin, but still no go. I've even tried using RAD.CC's WDTV live (full) firmware. I tried reformatting the stick each time I put new firmware on it (sometimes on my Mac in FAT32, sometimes on my Windows machine in FAT/FAT32) neither helped.

--

I'm obviously missing something critical here as I've flashed this unit dozens of times with the official firmware without a problem.
memoryisram
n00b

Postby memoryisram » Thu May 27, 2010 4:24 am

Cripes. Please ignore my last post. I have multiple WDTVs in my household (some Live, some not) and the fault was mine. I mixed up the Live/non-live firmware updates on the USB sticks.

I noticed it shortly after making the post.

Thanks for giving me the space to type out and find my error :) Keep up the good work on the firmware updates!
memoryisram
n00b

Next

Return to n00b central