[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4326: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4328: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4329: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4330: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3501)
DNS 323 NAS and NFS - Tutorial

The place for n00b questions, anything goes...no n00b too n00bish.

Postby mentreco » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:47 pm

For all of n00bs like me who googled hours trying to find a solution for this configuration, cant believe it is so simple.... :oops:

I have :

1. WDTV Live working with wdlxtv 0.4.3.1
2. All media inside a D-Link NAS DNS-323 with 1.08 firmware
3. IP Address of WDTV: 192.168.1.103
4. IP Address of NAS: 192.168.1.101

I was using SMB (SAMBA) for folder share, but having problems when tried to stream 1080p mkv movies

I read that NFS would solve the problem

In order to start NFS server at the NAS,
1. Install NFS on the DNS-323 (you have to download the Add-On from the D-Link site and install/activate it on the Add-Ons section of the administration page of DNS-323)
2. Add on Network Access configuration of the DNS-323 the IPs of the machines which you want to have access to the drive, in our case is WDTV IP Address (192.168.1.103)
3. Add on Network Access configuration of the NAS the folder we would like to share, in our case: Volume_1/Movies
4. Provide RW permission
5. Set Root Squash=YES
6. At the Network Access configuration of the DNS-323 you can find the real path of the share folder Movies, in my case is /mnt/HD_a2/Movies
7. Later, if you have some problems connecting to the DNS-323 after a restart you may have to stop/restart the NFS service

Edit the net.mounts file of the WDTV with the following line in order to find the folder Movies under the Local Drives Menu
xmount 192.168.1.101:/mnt/HD_a2/Movies Movies nfs

Reboot the WDTV and voilá!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Streaming of 1080p mkv files work fine right now

The interesting thing is that you can have shared folders at the NAS using NFS and SAMBA at the same time.
You may have shared folders stored at a Window PC using SAMBA and the previous shared folders at the NAS using NFS, everything working at the same time

THANKS TO B-RAD and all the Team that have made this terrific job, this tutorial is my humble contribution to this community
mentreco
WDTVer

Re: DNS 323 NAS and NFS - Tutorial   

Postby Heckle0 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:51 pm

Ok i was following until you mentioned the Network Configuration Add-On.
Is that a hacked firmware addon?
Heckle0
n00b

Postby DesperiteHouseHusband » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:22 pm

Heckle0, you get this add-on from the D-link site. I think I had to upgrade my DNS-323 firmware to get the NFS add-on.

Thanks mentreco for this guide. I tried it last night and the mount was unsuccessful. Tonight I went to play with it some more to get it to work... so I turned on my wdlxtv and wow.. it was there. It's beyond me why it wasn't loading from the night before.

I switched to the net.mount option (instead of network share or running mediatomb on the DNS-323) because the other methods were giving me duplicate thumbs. By mounting the device from USB it fixed the problem. No more dupes!
DesperiteHouseHusband
n00b

Postby dannyellis » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:07 pm

This tutorial definitely helped me, just wanted to point out some findings.

I used the included bandwidth_test script on a 1.5GB file on the NAS over a few different variations.

When connected to the SMB network share, I would get around 3.5MB/sec average.
When connected with NFS as explained above, I would get around 6MB/sec so definitely an improvement.
I then changed the DNS-323 to 100Mbit instead of Auto (which would put it in 1000), and the speeds went to about 9MB/sec, so that is something that some people might be interested.

Cheers and thanks
dannyellis
n00b

Postby andyclark » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:41 am

Hi,
Well first of all - Hello - this is my first post on this forum. I have been reading with interest a lot of posts and have modded my WDTV Live using the amazing software that you clever lot have provided. :D

Now onto my issue - Stuttering MKV's when using my DNS-323 with my WDTV Live.
I am using firmware 1.02.21 v0.4.7.3 flash on the WDTV Live

I have read the above and note this part:

1. Install NFS on the DNS-323 (you have to download the Add-On from the D-Link site and install/activate it on the Add-Ons section of the administration page of DNS-323)
2. Add on Network Access configuration of the DNS-323 the IPs of the machines which you want to have access to the drive, in our case is WDTV IP Address (192.168.1.103)
3. Add on Network Access configuration of the NAS the folder we would like to share, in our case: Volume_1/Movies
4. Provide RW permission
5. Set Root Squash=YES
6. At the Network Access configuration of the DNS-323 you can find the real path of the share folder Movies, in my case is /mnt/HD_a2/Movies

I have downloaded an installed NFS on my DNS-323, gone through the above but when I hit save on the DNS-323 NFS page nothing happens, so I cannot see what the Network Access Configurations real path is.
An NFS folder appears on my WDTV Live but the only items in the folder are a .bin folder and no media.

Do I need to do anything with WEC where that shows NFS? I have tried that but again nothing seems to actually happen.

I am sure I am doing something stupid, :roll: but I don't know what it is.

I hope someone out there can help me.

Andy.
andyclark
n00b

Postby KAD » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:00 pm

If you like my work please consider a Donation.
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions!
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby starwarsclark » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:33 am

Hi thanks for the tip.
I logged into ssh with showmount -e <IP address of my NAS>
and got this reply:

Export list for 192.168.0.5:
#

So it looks like nothing has been created on my NAS for some reason.

Any further thoughts please?

Andy.
starwarsclark
n00b

Postby KAD » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:41 am

my best guess, either NFS is configured wrong, or maybe the NFS server needs to be restarted for changes to take effect

KAD
If you like my work please consider a Donation.
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions!
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

Postby starwarsclark » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:43 am

OK I think there is an issue with the DNS_323.
Is there anything in the WEC that I need to enable/change?
What about the NFS details in the WDLXTV Configuration, where it mentions any of this:
Enable NFS auto export mode
(Requires NFSD_AUTO_DEFAULT to be set)

Clutching at straws now.

Andy.
starwarsclark
n00b

Postby b-rad.cc » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:51 am

you are absolutely clutching at straws, the wdtv as an nfs server is 2359% unrelated. The problem is solely with your NAS. If showmount displays nothing, then your NAS is misconfigured and no amount of tweaking WDLXTV will do anything. Go back to step 1.
PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
:mrgreen:
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Next

Return to n00b central