[Resolved] NFS access gives "No media in the current folder"

The place for n00b questions, anything goes...no n00b too n00bish.

Re: [Resolved] NFS access gives "No media in the current fol   

Postby alucardx » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:15 am

This sorta answers my question and may have some other good information for everyone trying to tweak NFS.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/performance.html

But my problem is still I can mount and see the NFS shares under SSH but not within WDTV live itself. Since I can't disable Jumbo frames, I'm hoping there's another tweak or setting that will make this work. I'll try playing around with these parameters.

Edit update: Finally got it working after fixing the typos in my CIFS-INTERPRETOR file :)

The other key thing for me was manually/forcing a mount by using xmounts and adding that to the net.mounts in /conf and then adding a delay of 15seconds for executing net.mounts. Now everything works perfectly after a full reboot.

I also enabled WMM and frame burst in my tomato firmware on my W54rtg router. I've tested dvdrip 480p xvids and 720p mkv's and both play fine which is good enough for my needs. i tried a 1080p mkv sample for shits and giggles and it started skipping after about 10 seconds, but that was expected. FWIW transfer rates for 480p and 720p xvid/mkv's was anywhere from 250KB/s -> 800KB/s on average from Windows to the WDTV.

i just hope when i end up rebooting my windows box (acting as the server) that NFS starts back OK. I read a few things on haneWIN how after reboots in Win7 it can get flaky and you have to mess with it to get it sharing again. And then there's the possibility that WDTV caches the share somehow and doesn't pick it up after Windows is rebooted.
alucardx
n00b

Postby choekstr » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:10 am

ARGH! NO NO NO!

I don't know if this is well known and in other forum posts but I just stumbled on this post and also on the wiki as the way to get NFS working is by disabling Jumbo Frames. Don't cut off your proverbial arm just to make NFS work! Just use TCP NFS instead of the default UDP NFS.

You add a 'proto=tcp' to the end of your xmounts and life is good again. You *should* use Jumbo Frames where possible to offload CPU cycles but if you need to use NFS then the well-known fix is to switch to TCP NFS. BTW, other players like the popbox that support NFS have both UDP and TCP NFS support built-in. The WDTV* doesn't have support for NFS unless you use wdlxtv of course but here is an example of an xmount command that will solve this problem:

Code: Select all
xmount 10.0.1.2:/ftp/pub/Video nfs_mount_directory nfs proto=tcp

I don't want people having to resort to turning off Jumbo Frames and slowing down network performance on the whole network just because one protocol on one device is acting funny.

Hope this helps,
Chris

[EDIT: had the directory and nfs keyword swapped in the code section]
Last edited by choekstr on Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Chris
choekstr
Beta Tester

Postby recliq » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:18 am

recliq wrote:Most repeated NFS tip: Have you tried proto=tcp option yet ?!?

http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6129&p=50876#p50876

http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Net.mounts#.22No_Media.22_Error
...but much better were you added it in the wiki ;)
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby choekstr » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:15 pm

I did add it to the wiki immediately after posting this. Thanks for adding those links as others that stumble on this can get more info as well.
--
Chris
choekstr
Beta Tester

Postby allidea » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:14 pm

OK, I need some help here.

I tried every possible solution I found on this forum, but without any success, so I'm obviously missing something and need someone to point it out to me.
I'm only interested in NFS shares, so I generally don't care for CIFS. This is the primary reason I did install WDLXTV (among tons of other stuff), since I stream most of the content off my Synology NAS.
Before I go on, here are some basics about my WDTVLIVE/network set up:
FW: 1.03.49-0.4.7.3 flashed
NFS sharing: net.mounts and cifs-interceptor set up; nfs shares show under network shares; sometimes I get to see nfs shares under USB1
NFS permissions on Synology: NFS enabled and privileges set r/w; root squash: map to guest; asynchronous: off (so far this worked just fine)
Jumbo frames are disabled on NAS's network interface.
I have permanently connected USB flash on USB2 with several app.bins
Upon calling showmount -e MYNASIP I can clearly see that all of NFS shares are visible.

So can someone please give me some exact answers I could try to figure this out:

1) To get NFS shares shown under USB1 what exactly needs to be done? Sometimes I get to see my nfs shares when I plug in empty USB flash to USB1, and mostly I just get "No media in the current folder" error.
I guess if I've set something wrong to net.mounts I wouldn't get any of net shares shown at any time, but obviously this isn't the case. But I simply haven't figured out (managed to find a pattern) when I can see them and when not.
Yes, with the help of referenced post I figured out it had to do with net.mounts from usb drive with firmware files.

2) Can net.mounts be changed after firmware update, or just prior to it (sorry I'm a linux n00b, m$ raised me, maybe I just can't find it on my wdlxtv)?

Stupid, stupid me. If you'll ever have a issue like this, just go ahead and read http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6501&p=54193&hilit=app.bin#p54182

Thanks.

(BTW. a small advice to everyone - plug in USB3.0 flash drive to get max out of WDLXTV! It is working much faster with it, as obviously it can handle full USB2.0 speed - cca. 30 Mb/sec)
Have a problem? Visit Tweak Master's House Of Useful Tricks.
Ad 1) I tend to find a solution by myself just after I submit a new post asking others to do it for me.
Ad 2) Proud to be *nix n00b - not because I prefer m$, rather I'm trying to get better at it!
allidea
WDTVer

Postby recliq » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:43 am

Stupid, stupid me. If you'll ever have a issue like this, just go ahead and read http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6501&p=54193&hilit=app.bin#p54182

What I posted there as a quote is a copy & paste from README, the file that comes with EVERY version of WDLXTV and which you are supposed to read BEFORE even installing WDLXTV (and which is referenced in every "first read.." thread and the Wiki)...
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby allidea » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:59 am

And just one other thing I've figured out about "No media in the current folder" message.

In order for WDLXTV to properly access and display content of network shared folder(s) (at least for NFS) even if it/they contain other full sub-folders (with media files in them) - main (root shared) folder should contain AT LEAST 1 file with recognizable extension (ie. .avi or .mkv or .jpg or similar recognizable by WDLXTV). This file can as well be a dummy file (0 bytes length named dummy.mkv) or NO FILES AT ALL (this doesn't include earlier mentioned sub-folders).
If there are just unrecognized extensions present WDLXTV will report "No media in current folder" message completely disregarding full sub-folders.

Hope this will help someone.
Have a problem? Visit Tweak Master's House Of Useful Tricks.
Ad 1) I tend to find a solution by myself just after I submit a new post asking others to do it for me.
Ad 2) Proud to be *nix n00b - not because I prefer m$, rather I'm trying to get better at it!
allidea
WDTVer

Previous

Return to n00b central