Unable to get ipkg or optware working on wdtv-live/g2

The place for n00b questions, anything goes...no n00b too n00bish.

Unable to get ipkg or optware working on wdtv-live/g2   

Postby Foxx » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:54 pm

I am running WDLXTV_G2-0.4.1.9-6 on my WDTV G2 (obviously) and have been trying to figure out why I cant get ipkg working. I am booting from a 1GB USB Flash Drive formatted in FAT, recently wiped the drive using cat to pipe /dev/zero across the drive to make sure the it was nice and clean before using it. I tend to use this one for a lot of my OS deployment, drivers, embedded hacking, etc. I have opt.bin on the root of the drive, checked S00_custom-options and read the readme files. I am familiar with ipkg and optware from the Linksys NSLU2 'SLUG' project, although I am not a linux 'expert' by any caliber. I have worked with ipkg a wee bit.

Everything seems to be in place, S00_custom-options seems to be taking effect, FTP, SSH, SMB are all working. opt.bin (version 0.2) is on the root of the drive as per the OPTBINREADME says. When I log in via SSH and issue the ipkg command it keeps resulting in 'ipkg: not found'. Looking in /bin, /sbin, and its not listed in either directory. It is listed in /opt/bin with permission to execute (numeric mode 755) but even within the path its located I still cant run it. I also noticed there is an ipkg-opt command which still results in 'command not found'. I tried this using sh and bash, neither of them work out. Even when I hit 'i' and then 'tab' to get a list of binaries that start with the letter 'i', ipkg is listed! I am out of ideas, I have no clue why I cant execute ipkg. ... yes I am running as root, just in case you were wondering. Any advice, hints, or clues would be appreciated.
Foxx
n00b

Re: Unable to get ipkg or optware working   

Postby b-rad.cc » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:57 pm

heres a hint, do this and compare:

Code: Select all
file /opt/bin/msgfmt
file /usr/bin/msgfmt

:mrgreen:

[ i'll give you answer if you can't figure it out, share your theory though ;) ]
PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby Foxx » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:35 pm

Not really sure on how to answer that. After running the command you suggested there is an obvious build difference between the two, although I dont understand what and why. The results almost seem like its a slight architecture difference.

Code: Select all
# file /usr/bin/msgfmt
/usr/bin/msgfmt: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, MIPS, MIPS-I version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.18, with unknown capability 0xf41 = 0x756e6700, stripped

# file /opt/bin/msgfmt
/opt/bin/msgfmt: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, MIPS, MIPS32 rel2 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

There is a clear build difference between the two, but this is still beyond my capability to resolve.
Foxx
n00b

Postby b-rad.cc » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:42 pm

The cpu's are not binary compatible ;)

nothing we can do unfortunately, except try and get Optware for sigma8655. Someone was working on it, and tried very hard--but was always getting caught up on the UClibc toolchain. WD provided one for original wdtv, but there isn't one in the sourcery toolchain.
PM's are for private matters only, please post public matters on the forum to help others who might have the same issue.
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby Foxx » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:21 pm

Thats what I was assuming. In short, sol until someone works the bugs out?
Foxx
n00b

Re: Unable to get ipkg or optware working on wdtv-live/g2   

Postby b-rad.cc » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:23 pm

yup. maybe someone will step up ;) I've got too much on my plate atm.
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Postby Foxx » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:35 pm

I know how it goes. No worries, im sure there it will get worked out eventually. Thanks for the help.
Foxx
n00b

Postby migube » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:21 am

b-rad.cc wrote: getting caught up on the UClibc toolchain. WD provided one for original wdtv, but there isn't one in the sourcery toolchain.

Did someone ask WD to provide it as well? (you never know...)
-----
WdTvLive - LG BD390 - Philips 47PFL8404h - Yamaha RXV-667 - DM7000 - Synology 107+ - HP Touchpad (Webos)
migube
Global Moderator

Postby CrashX » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:18 pm

Are they legally obligated to provide it ?
CrashX
Global Moderator

Postby b-rad.cc » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:30 pm

not at all. they are just providing the sourcery toolchain, which doesn't include UClibc.

This is on my list and I'm going to try and find the time to finally address it...If i can ever get some other things caught up.
b-rad.cc
WDLXTV Team

Next

Return to n00b central