Downgrade to official firmware How to?

The place for n00b questions, anything goes...no n00b too n00bish.

Re: Downgrade to official firmware How to?   

Postby pityrules » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:34 pm

I'll admit I am likely missing something obvious here :(

I have the most recent firmware (1.06.43) on my WDTV Live (WDBAAN0000NBK-00) and I am trying to install WDLXTV firmware (1.05.04_V-WDLXTV-Live-0.5.1.1 [flash]). I copied the .ver, .fff, and .bin WDLXTV-Live-0.5.1.1 files onto a USB and followed the instructions for flashing but the WDTV player simply recognizes it as an external hard drive with no media. It doesn't 'flash' like it did when I upgraded my official firmware using the same method.

So I have either a hardware (probably not) or software/user issue (more likely).

here it says that WDLXTV firmware is based on earlier versions of base firmware (eg 1.03) Do I actually need a downgraded copy of the official firmware to be installed on my WDTV Live before the WDLXTV firmware will install? If so where can I find it?

Or..... can use the most recent firmware .ver file (1.06.43) and 'trick' my WDTV into thinking it is an older version by changing the version in the text as described in this post to a smaller number\version?
(I think not - it doesn't seem to work when I try, but I am clearly not grasping the concepts here - I think it is the reverse, that I am supposed to take the older .ver files and make the WDTV think they are newer so it will flash them).

Or...do the .bin etc. files need to go into their own folder on my USB? They are copied directly onto the device without being bundled into a folder because I think this is what root level means (eg E:\MyUSB\wdtv.bin).

Believe it or not, I have spent hours trying to figure this out and I feel like I am so close but so far away! My knowledge base about computers is pretty bad so I appreciate the patience and help.
pityrules
WDTVer

Postby ebo » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:31 pm

Although I've never done it, I believe that rolling back from official version 1.06.43_V (or 1.06.42_B for the Live Plus) is a two step process. You must first roll back to 1.06.15_V (or 1.06.16_B). Then you should be able to install your choice of WDLXTV versions. Of course you'll have to modify your .ver file whenever rolling back to an earlier version.

See this page on the WD site for instructions and a link to download the earlier firmware. If it works, add a note in the Downgrading section on the wiki. It's been asked before.
ebo
Donor

Postby pityrules » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:00 pm

First, thank you so much for taking the time to respond.
Second, thank you for the link to downloading older versions of the official WDTV firmware. I could not seem to find it on my own!

So I will try what you have suggested and report back. This is not my field and I am trying to learn so I really appreciate the help. If I can in turn help others through the wiki I would be delighted.
pityrules
WDTVer

Postby pityrules » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:19 pm

OK so I followed the links that you provided using my WDTV model type as a guide, and all I could find were older versions of something called WD TV GPL Code, and the new firmware for the WDTV Live. The GPL code package makes no sense to me (I downloaded it but I don't see any .ver, .fff, or .bin files in it).

But, thanks to your help, I found a link for Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player Firmware 1.06.15 Here. After modifying the .ver file with notepad, I was able to roll back the firmware.

I am happy to report that I have successfully installed the WDLXTV homebrew firmware! After I am more confident I will check out the wiki to see if I can add anything. Cheers.
pityrules
WDTVer

Postby dea2327 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:32 pm

thanks for the help as well here
dea2327
n00b

Postby tjoebgen » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:12 pm

pityrules wrote:
But, thanks to your help, I found a link for Western Digital WD TV Live HD Media Player Firmware 1.06.15 Here. After modifying the .ver file with notepad, I was able to roll back the firmware.

I am happy to report that I have successfully installed the WDLXTV homebrew firmware! After I am more confident I will check out the wiki to see if I can add anything. Cheers.

Sorry that this is awhile later, but can you elaborate on what you did? I have a Live Plus that had 1.04.something on it and I have been trying to get it to version 1.02.21 (for MovieSheets+). All I've managed to do was get it uprev'd to 1.06.42_B.
Are you saying that downloading the 1.06.15 file (at your link) and changing the .ver file is what I need to do next? What did you change in your .ver file?
tjoebgen
n00b

Postby recliq » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:10 am

There is no 1.02.21 firmware for Live Plus, there never was!
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby Bbyxasads » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:30 am

Thank you all for the information, i have successfully made it. :D

samsung galaxy tab 4 10.1 hülle
Ich will dem starken Wind zum Trotz segeln und auf stürmischer See die Wellen brechen. samsung s5 handyhülle
Bbyxasads
n00b

Postby maddogatc » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:28 am

I too am having trouble returning to factory firmware. I follow the instruction to the letter and i cannot get my WD TV live streaming to recognize the the official firmware. Does the wdlxtv memory stick have to be in the player when i install the factory firmware from the 2nd usb port?

After some time I managed to get it to back to factory firmware 2.02.32 after getting a message saying you are trying to install official firmware to a device which has non official firmware installed. Also the start screen keeps saying "this is not really a real theme-loading palace/rv exploit screen.....

Other than that it seems to work fine. Anything I can do to return it to a clean factory firmware without these little bugs showing up?
maddogatc
n00b

Postby KAD » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:37 pm

well, if you have a gen3 device, first question is why post here

this entire thread is about the old live and live plus
completely different device

besides that the next question is what did you do?

It's actually quite obviously nothing WDLXTV related

because the only way you can get that message is if you have flashed a non-official firmware
and WDLXTV has never created a flashable firmware for gen3

to comment on the other thing you mention the message on screen, that is from one of the WDLXTV theme's and is not a firmware
any WDLXTV firmware for gen3, runs live off a usb stick, and all you need to do to return to stock is remove the usb stick

so other bad news, if you did indeed flash a non-official firmware, like the one from gimli or maybe something somebody else created
do so permanently erases premium service keys, like netflix, hulu, etc ...
and there is no way to get those back

you can follow WD official instructions to return to stock, but WD has made it very clear that even once you're back on stock, without the premium services keys
netflix, and such will not work
If you like my work please consider a Donation. Donate
Please read the appropriate documentation before posting questions! READ ME FAQ WIKI
PM's are for private matters. Post support questions to the appropriate forum, or they will be ignored.
KAD
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to n00b central