Downgrade to official firmware How to?

The place for n00b questions, anything goes...no n00b too n00bish.

Re: Downgrade to official firmware How to?   

Postby recliq » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:13 am

YES!

Original firmware should find newer official firmwares.
­WDLXTV Project Maintainer
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby mmgala » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:22 am

Thanks a lot for the answer
mmgala
n00b

Postby TdaveM » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:39 am

I have WD Live box Pt# WDAAN0000NBK running FW 1.06.34_V and I am not sure if WDLXTV is compatible as I do not find that FW in the download area. As a result I was looking to downgrade to an older FW which is supported. When I go to WD to get the rollback firmware (http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800/p/208,333/session/L2F2LzEvc25vLzEvdGltZS8xMzQ5MDE4NTE3L3NpZC94bW05QXk3bA%3D%3D), I do not see this PT#, all I see is WDBAAx0000NBK for the Live....is there another download site I can go to for an older firmware for my Live? OR will the 1.05.04_V version of WDLXTV work with my FW? OR will the rollback FW for the WDBAAx0000NBK work with my Live (WDAAN0000NBK). Don't want to brick the unit so I am being overly cautious.

Thanks
Dave
TdaveM
n00b

Postby recliq » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:56 am

WDBAAx0000NBK means WDBAAN0000NBK or WDBAAP0000NBK
-:] If you like my contributions feel free to donate for a beer or a new flash drive. ...and always remember: RTFM! (README, FAQ, WIKI) [:-
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby TdaveM » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:35 pm

recliq wrote:WDBAAx0000NBK means WDBAAN0000NBK or WDBAAP0000NBK

I understand that but I have PT# WDA.... NOT WDB.... Not sure what the difference is in the A vs the B???

Update, I just discovered that the sticker on the box lists the PT# as WDBAAN0000NBK-01, while on screen (Settings/System Settings/About) lists the PT# as WDAANOOOONBK. Not sure what the difference is, can I simply go by the sticker for the proper firmware to download?

Thanks
Dave
TdaveM
n00b

Postby recliq » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:07 am

I've never seen a WDAAN... serial, if the sticker say WDBAAN then it's nost likely WDBAAN ;) Don't trust the WD software ;P
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby tigris » Sun May 12, 2013 6:00 pm

I successfully "downgraded" to the official firmware using the standard technique of copying the 3 files to a USB and going through the upgrade firmware process. Great wiki entry allowed me to do this with no problems. However, once complete, I notice all my settings were still in tact. No big deal here, I just hit the factory reset setting to remove all my network login info and reset the list view settings etc etc.

But, I notice hitting the IP of my WD (with official firmware) in my web browser, results in a page actually being displayed and giving me a 404. I would have expected connection refused or something like that. So I am guessing the web server and possibly other daemons supplied by WDLX are still running, but the 404 is cos all the web files have gone? I don't have access to an official WD that's never been flashed to know if this 404 page is what is supposed to happen for all WD TVs? I also notice my WD is shared on the network even after I go into settings and turn sharing off. This device has been full power cycled many times since the downgrade.

I notice on the wiki it says to
Code: Select all
rm -r /conf/*
, which I have not done and can not find any info on how to do it? The telnet and ssh daemon are no longer running. Is this a step that should perhaps happen BEFORE downgrading? Will I have to swap to WDLX again to do this step and then re-downgrade? I'd rather avoid that if I can.
tigris
n00b

Postby recliq » Mon May 13, 2013 9:23 am

1. It would be VERY helpful if you'd tell us which device you are talking about.
2. It's impossible that apache (the webserver on WDLXTV) is still there after flashing original fw. A firmware flash replaces ALL files in the NAND of the WDTV, in fact it doesn't even flash files to WDTV but a complete filesystem image. The ONLY location not affected by flashing is /conf, where all the configuration is stored, thus your config doesn't change when flashing a firmware and sometimes it is required to do a factory reset after firmware upgrades.

Tip of the day: Flashing a firmware to WDTV does NOT change/replace/modify/erase/reset ANY config settings!

3. I haven't had a look at recent official firmware versions but it might be possible that there is some kind of http server running on WDTV, newer models all have a webinterface (Hub, Gen3).

4. Have a look at the wiki how to reset config:
http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/TipsTricks
:geek:
recliq
WDLXTV Team

Postby tigris » Mon May 13, 2013 8:23 pm

Thanks for the response recliq.

1. My apologies. It's a Gen2

2. Ok, makes sense, thanks.

3. I did notice while downgrading that the official WD firmware (1.6.43) is pretty new (Jan 2013).

4. Thanks, some nice tips there. However it's still obvious that you need telnet/ssh access to remove the files in /conf, which of course is not possible after you've already flashed the official firmware, so the downgrading wiki page might require an update there. Especially if some custom / third party apps (not wdlx itself) are putting anything in /conf
tigris
n00b

Postby recliq » Tue May 14, 2013 9:20 am

Doing a factory reset on official firmware should remove/reset all relevant files in /conf, you're right that some WDLXTV specific files might survive this procedure
but they should have no impact on any official firmware operation, because official firmware will simply not use them.

Only way to get console access to WDTV with official firmware is via serial console.
recliq
WDLXTV Team

PreviousNext

Return to n00b central